GO!

Salmon Meal okay?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Weeble

Weebs - I wobble but I- don't fall down!

Purred: Fri Oct 5, '12 5:24am PST 
Hi all!

Okay, I have had major issues in my house for years with digestion. I started out years ago feeding Purina Cat Chow in a multi-cat household for budget reasons. Money got straight and we bumped up to more healthy, expensive foods. I still can't spend $40 on a 7 lb. bag.

I have issues with cats throwing up undigested food CONSTANTLY. They are young and healthy, so it's not underlying diseases from what I know. I currently feed NutroMax Adult Roasted Chicken. I try to stay away from by-products and the like.

I want to change again, to something more geared for sensitive stomachs to see if it helps my vomiting and icky stools problems. I found Authority at PetSmart, and am thinking about getting that. It's affordable, for sensitive stomachs, and from what I can see has a good analysis.

My question is the fifth ingredient is Salmon Meal. Is this okay? I have been told to stay away from any fish in the ingredients list other than fish oil. This food may help the vomit problem, making it easier on everyone, but I don't want to do a lot of damage in the long run.

Ingredient list for those curious: turkey, turkey meal, brewer's rice, oat groats, salmon meal, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural flavor, rice flour, dried beet pulp, dried egg product, fructooligosaccharides, potassium chloride, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, niacin, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin D3 supplement, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite and taurine

Any comments? Thanks!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Oct 6, '12 5:52am PST 
In my opinion you'd be much better off with canned food. Besides the lack of moisture, this food has way too many carbs. Check out catinfo.org for reasons why a cat should not eat dry food. You may find that a diet change takes care of the digestive issues too.
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Sun Oct 7, '12 11:44pm PST 
Here is my concern. This brand is Petsmart's. The website has no contact information to ask them any questions or to address any of your concerns. I find that is a problem for me. I wonder if they have contact information on the bags??

So you had no issues of the cats throwing up on the Purina food?? I wonder if the Nutro was to rich?

I know some cats may not eat wet food. I too have picked brands that do not have no corn, wheat or soy. We tried the grain free Earthborn & Nature's Variety. I just gave away my bags of them because they stopped eatting them. But my crew like carbs of barley, rice, & oats. I feed my cats a variety of proteins like duck, chicken & fish. So far we have not had any issue because of the fish ones. So the salmon meal does not look like a problem to me. Purina Cat Chow has fish meal in it. One food my cats like that might work for your cats is Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken. And it goes on sale at Petco too. I got a sample at a hoilstic pet food store.
[notify]