GO!

Need advice on feeding skinny kitten.

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '12 9:26am PST 
Low carb is good. Cats don't do well with too many carbs. Carbs puts a huge strain on the pancrease which can result in diabetes later in life. Ideally stick with foods with less than 10% carbs. But you're kind of limited in varieties/brands shrug So either make your make your max carb content a little higher but no more than 20% or stick with mostly under 10% carb foods and occasionally feed foods that are a little higher in carbs.

High protein and low fat is good. Cats need protein in their diet.

You won't find useful information on the pet food label about exact nutritional content. Use these charts instead:

Binky's canned food charts
Pet Food Nutritional Values list
Hobo's Guide To Nutritional Values
[notify]

Toast

Watch out for- evil kitty ears!

Purred: Tue Jul 17, '12 7:46am PST 
Hi!

Toast was in a very similar situation when I got him... he was 7 weeks old, full of fleas, no mother and a runt... on top of that his bigger sisters weren't letting him eat and he was underweight. I put him on "Natural Choice" indoor dry kitten food. It's super healthy and when I left it out free range he gained weight right away and 8 months later is still the perfect weight for his size and age, even neutured. I've never had to limit him. Just a thought!

http://www.nutro.com/natural-cat-food/natural-choice-cat -food/indoor-healthy-growth-kitten-food-chicken-meal-rice-formula.as px
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Jul 17, '12 11:02am PST 
Ideally you'd like the carbs to be under 10% of the total. Stay away from foods with added grains, corn, etc. How's she doing? Is she starting to fill out?
[notify]

Cinder

Purred: Tue Jul 17, '12 9:07pm PST 
She is doing very well, BK.. Thank you for asking. She's filled out a lot in the week that we've had her. I feel like she's doubled in size lol. She has also become much more outgoing and playful. I saw her play with Starbuck for the first time today. happy dance
We went out yesterday and stocked up on several brands of food. I found tons of Wellness in a sale bin for .30 a can! I bought every last one. That was adult formula though so Starbuck well probably get that. I also have some Wellness Core Kitten, Merrick BC, Taste of the Wild, and Blue Wilderness. All but the kitten formula are supposed to be all life stage formulas. I also bought a salmon oil supplement which I'm now giving to all of my fur babies (we have 3 dogs too). I'm only giving her about a teaspoon a day.
My biggest issue now is that she will east her food until I think she's full, and then she will run of and rest whatever Starbuck hasn't finished. She doesn't care if its wet or dry. She just inhales it. I think maybe she was getting bored with her food so I gave her some Taste of the Wild this morning and she seemed to like it.
Tomorrow she week get her first set of shots. I really hope they take her in the back to do it because I'm afraid I'll cry. Lol
[notify]

BK

Purred: Thu Jul 19, '12 8:25am PST 
Glad to hear she's doing well. Let her eat as much as she wants and she'll be fine.

Now the shot issue! Assuming she'll be an indoor cat, a lot of vets these days are recommending against over-vaccinating. Not to take one side or the other, but it's another thing you should be informed about. In particular, look into the practice of giving more than one shot at a time.

Best of luck!
[notify]

Cinder

Purred: Thu Jul 19, '12 6:23pm PST 
BK, I have been learning a lot about the shot issue as well. Cinder will be an indoor kitty and I plan on getting the bare minimum. She got two shots yesterday, and I can't remember which they are because my brain is totally fried (I had my other cat and one of my dogs with us and they all got SOMETHING done. It all blurs together.) But I am not planning on getting the rabies shot (for now) because 1: She is exclusively indoors and 2: I have read that this vaccine has been linked to cancer later in life. Any insight on that one?
PS: The vet called today and told us that Cinder's fecal test was negative for worms, which they thought she had due to her severe flea infestation early in life and her pot belly. I guess She eats more than I thought. MOLcheer
[notify]

BK

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 2:36pm PST 
Legally, she may have to get a rabies shot. I have to admit this is not my area of expertise and BK doesn't get shots because of his allergies, but I've been reading more and more about this topic lately. I'm just glad to hear she's doing so well!
[notify]

Cinder

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 5:55pm PST 
Honestly, I think I legally am supposed to. I'd like to try to avoid it if I can, but I don't know if my vet has an option. I got Starbuck's vaccines updated and they automatically did the rabies.
Thank you for your concern and advice. Cinder is definitely a happy, healthy, HYPER kitten. She's getting so active I can hardly keep up with her. Every day she finds some new way to cause trouble.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2