GO!

Freshpet Vital Complete Meals for Cats?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Lily

Purred: Sun Apr 22, '12 4:04pm PST 
Hey everyone. I have been shopping around for higher quality food for my three cats. I have been looking into raw diets, as well as all canned food diets. In the past, I have fed my cats Innova, Taste of the Wild and similar brands, but that was dry food and after reading up a lot about cat nutrition (as well as being informed by some people here), I would like to switch my cats to a raw or all canned food diet.

Does anyone know anything about Freshpet Vital Complete Meals? They are usually in the refrigerated section of pet stores. I'm just not sure if they are as high quality and nutritionally complete as I think. Also, 2 of my cats need to lose weight, so I'm wondering if this food is healthy enough to allow me to feed them a reasonable amount but still lose weight(some foods are so high in calories that in order to be eating a small enough amount so they'd lose weight, they'd barely get any food at all)?

I am going to do my own research on this food, but I'm not sure how much info I will be able to find and I love to get input from you guys. Here is the product information:

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Liver, Ocean Whitefish, Natural Flavors, Eggs, Carrots, Spinach, Pea Protein, Pea Fiber, Vinegar, Salt, Taurine.

Vitamins:
Zinc Chelate, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite

Minerals:
Niacin, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

If you want to check out any additional info, here is the site: http://freshpet.com/product/vitalcompletemealscat/

Edited by author Sun Apr 22, '12 9:51pm PST

[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Mon Apr 23, '12 9:39pm PST 
Since this food has Spinach in it, I would not touch it with a ten foot pole.
ibdkitties.net has a list of spinach free foods on her site, check it out smile
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Apr 24, '12 2:08pm PST 
In addition to the spinach, there are way too many veggies in this food if you ask me. Veggies are added to cat food for their owner's perception only - they're useless to kitties. If money is not an issue I believe there are better quality pre-made raw products out there. If money is a part of the equation you might consider making the raw yourself. Come on by the raw forum if you need any help.
[notify]

Lily

Purred: Tue Apr 24, '12 2:23pm PST 
Oh no, I have no idea what to feed my cats then. And I just spent $24 on 4 lbs. of this food because I hadn't read what you guys said yet... oops. Money is definitely part of the equation, but I couldn't make the raw food for my cats because I'm a vegetarian and have a very hard time stomaching the smell of their food as it is, makes me kinda queasy... so I'm back at square one I guess. Thank you for the replies though, I'm glad I asked because I actually thought this was healthy food for them.
[notify]