GO!

Purina One beYond

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Egon &- Astrid

Life is made for- loving.

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '12 1:42pm PST 
I've tried just about every pet food under the sun in the past five years. Taste of the Wild is owned by a small company, so each batch of food is less likely to be identical to every other batch, but they use good quality ingredients. The kind of food you would call "wholesome".

Brands like Iams and Purina are using leftovers. Chicken carcasses after processing, innards, grains "not fit" for human consumption. Animals don't care if they're getting a chicken breast or a chicken carcass, as long as they're still getting meat proteins (Easier to digest than plant proteins) and enough nutrition. We have to worry about their overall health, appearance, and litter box leavings ;D

If Stinky wants to eat Iams, get him Iams. It's not a brand that scrapes leftovers off the factory floor and tries to sell it as dog food, and their animal testing practices have gotten SO MUCH better in the past twenty years. I think Iams is probably the best everyday-quality food you can buy.

Purina... I've only tried Purina Cat Chow (dry) and Friskies and Fancy Feast (wet), but my father has also bought Friskies and Fancy Feast (dry) His cat has a sensitive stomach and can't eat anything but wet everyday-quality food. My cats were fine on Friskies wet, but I got a few bad cans that put them off their dinners for days and gave them diarrhea, and stopped feeding them that. The Purina Cat Chow was the first dry food I could feed Egon that he wouldn't get diarrhea on!

Unfortunately, my puppy was eating Purina Puppy Chow and always had diarrhea. They're not great at quality control and do let bad batches slip through. If it's not a dangerous batch, they don't let people know, but a cat getting diarrhea is a big thing, even if the diarrhea isn't kidney failure or salmonella poisoning.

I haven't tried their Beyond, so I don't know if it's the same sort of quality as the regular Purina lines. If Stinky will eat it and won't feel sick, and if he still looks and acts well, get it for him!
[notify]

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Singing No- Worries, About a- thing!

Purred: Thu Apr 19, '12 11:29am PST 
Thank you for the responses. I greatly appreciate it, and I surely feel less bad about him not eating TOTW. I do not plan to keep him on Beyond, next time I getting a bag of Iams.

I have been nervous about trying Chicken Soup with him, cause I am worried that he will not eat it, then there goes money down the drain, and bag of good food to the shelter though.
[notify]

Bodrouex

all you need is- love

Purred: Thu Apr 19, '12 3:08pm PST 
sTINKERS, we don't TOTW here,nor CS on a regular bases but just wanted to say, we did have some sample "Chicken Soup" and ate like no tomorrow, and we are not cats that will eat just anything. If it's a food you think would make you feel better...try it!
[notify]

Smokey

I\\\'m A Dallas- Cowboy Fan Too!

Purred: Thu Apr 19, '12 3:20pm PST 
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/ralston.html
[notify]

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Purred: Mon Apr 23, '12 12:59pm PST 
It really is hard to decipher what really is the better quality cat foods. When, I first switched Stinky and Sylvester over to TOTW, Stinky absolutely loved it. Then, when I got to the end of the first bag, he completely stopped eating it. So, I put him back on the Iams. I know for a fact it is not of best quality, but it's the best quality seems to me at Walmart.

I have been debating about trying the Chicken Soup, or perhaps Felidae. But I am a bit skeptical on if Stinky will eat it or do the same thing or not. Because I can't keep buying double cat foods. Its pretty much like throwing money out the window. I want the best for them (in dry), but at the same time I don't have the money to keep experimenting. I guess my next choice I just want to make a SOLID choice.

So, has anyone else had any personal experience with Chicken Soup?
[notify]

Smokey

I\\\'m A Dallas- Cowboy Fan Too!

Purred: Mon Apr 23, '12 2:15pm PST 
I highly recommend Blue Wilderness, its by Blue Buffalo, I feed the dry chicken and the wet turkey. Its grain free, soy free, by product free, gluten free and low in salt. If you buy the food at Petsmart or Petco, and your pet won't eat it, you can return it, with the receipt, and they will give you your money back. Without the receipt, they give you store credit.
[notify]

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Purred: Tue Apr 24, '12 12:49pm PST 
Smokey- I cannot purchase Blue Buffalo as my pet store does not carry it, and they will not order any for me. My only options are Chicken Soup, Felidae, and Taste of the Wild.
I cannot purchase online either, as I have no way to do so. Also, the nearest Petco and Petsmart is 1 1/2+ hours away.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2