GO!

Would my cat lose weight on this wet food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

KitKat

Canned Food- Connoisseur

Purred: Sat Apr 7, '12 12:55pm PST 
So I went out yesterday and bought my oldest and pickiest cat a few different kinds of canned food. I tried him on four high quality foods before that, but he has no interest in them. He used to live with my parents (when I lived with them too, brought him when I moved out) and they used to feed him canned foods like Friskies and Fancy Feast, so I figure he got used to those and didn't want the high quality ones.

I bought brands like Blue Buffalo, Halo, Innova and Wellness for him, as I hadn't tried him on those yet. I fed him the Wellness food today and he LOVED it. I was pleasantly surprised. It seems really healthy, but I'm not sure if he would lose weight on it. The vet wanted me to buy dry Royal Canin Calorie Control food from them because he weighed in at 16 lbs. there this week, but I know Royal Canin is crummy for dog food so I assume it's crummy for cat food too.

Anyway, the Wellness I fed him was the Wellness Healthy Indulgence wet food. It's grain free. These are the ingredients: Turkey Broth, Tuna, Turkey, Turkey Liver, Egg Whites, Potato Starch, Carrots, Pea Fiber, Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Zucchini, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Guar Gum, Sodium Phosphate, Cranberries, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Carbonate, Taurine, Iron Proteinate, Beta-Carotene, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.

It seems very healthy to me and I know Wellness is very high quality food, but I've tried a lot to get this one to lose weight and not seen much of a result, so I thought I'd check with you guys instead of assuming it will work and not work. Also, would I have to feed him ALL canned food, or is there a certain amount of dry I can still feed him? Wet food is expensive and cost is an issue as I'm disabled so I don't have much money, but if I have to feed him all canned food for his health, I will sacrifice the money.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Apr 7, '12 4:27pm PST 
Well, it's not really the quality of the food that will help a cat lose weight. It's how many calories your cat eats per day smile It's generally recommended to feed 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight. Catinfo.org has more detailed tips on how to help a cat to safely lose weight way to go

Any of the Wellness foods are good to feed in general smile

IMO, pouched foods are mostly water with little actual food shrug Not really worth the money shrug Regular canned food is better worth the money and you can add water to the food to make broth/gravy and ensure that your cat gets plenty of water.

I guess you could also feed some dry food thinking Keep in mind that many dry foods, even "weight loss" ones, are well over 400 calories per cup, too many calories for a cat shock Half a cup of dry food or less per day would be good if you can do that.

Weight loss takes time so don't expect your cat to lose weight in a day or two. Make sure your cat gets plenty of excerise, too.

You don't need prescription food at all. They're full of junky quality ignredients and cost a lot of money silenced

Edited by author Sat Apr 7, '12 4:33pm PST

[notify]