GO!

Benefits of all canned food diet, recommendations?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

KitKat

Canned Food- Connoisseur

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 5:17pm PST 
My oldest cat is 5 turning 6 and pretty fat, weighed in today at 16 lbs... my middle cat is about 3 and moderately overweight, and my youngest is a bit under a year and an ideal weight. I've been reading a lot and trying to learn more about feline health and diet lately, and I've read that dry food is not very good for cats and does not provide enough water content in their diet.

I've been free-feeding my cats dry food (I know that's one of the problems, I was actually going to start them on a feeding schedule tonight) and giving them canned food once a day. They have been on Taste of The Wild Dry food, and Performatrin canned food, which is the local Pet Store's food and is high quality (the fat cats have been geeting the weight control version of the canned food... lol). Should I be feeding an ALL canned food diet? If so, does anyone have food recommendations for the two fat cats? Food recommendations would also be greatly appreciated for the one that's at an ideal weight as well.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 5:58pm PST 
An all canned food diet is best, short of feeding raw way to go Read Catninfo.org for why. There's a section there on how to help a cat to safely lose weight. Canned foods will definitely help because they are lower in calories than dry foods. Feeding 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight per day is generally recommended.

As for brands, look for a grain-free brand. I posted some suggestions here.
[notify]