GO!

8 mo old kitten getting tired of Before Grain canned food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Gypsy

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 3:14pm PST 
Hi all. Gypsy, my 8 month old, seems to be getting tired of her BG canned food. I used to be able to get her to eat 1/4-1/2 of a 5.5oz can for breakfast, and 1/2-3/4 of a can in the evening. Now I'm lucky to get her to eat more than a few bites, when she touches it at all.

She is free fed BG dry food, and she still seems to like her kibble.

She's an athletic 8 lbs at 8 months.

On a whim, I picked up a can of BFF (couldn't resist the cute packaging), and Gypsy LOVED it. Licked the plate clean. However, I now see that it's formulated for adult cats, not kittens.

So, does anyone have recommendations for a good grain-free canned food for an 8 month old active kitten?

Thanks in advance!

Gypsys Dad
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 4:55pm PST 
You don't need a kitten specific canned food. There's no "kitten" or "adult" food for cats in the wild. Commerical pet foods just put extra vitamins and stuff in kitten food. As longas you feed a nutritionally complete food (ie, contains vitamins and minerals), your kitten will be fine way to go Some canned foods are only meant as supplements and contain zero vitamins/minerals, like those Fancy Feast Appetizer things.

BFF is good but it's mostly seafood which is not good to feed all the time. Some types of fish may contain mercury, some cats get addicted to eating seafood and will refuse to eat meat based foods, the phosphorus content can be high. Seafood based foods are ok to feed once in awhile smile

The company that makes BFF also makes Weruva and Soulistic. Weruva has alot of meat based foods as well as some seafood. The food comes in cans or pouches. Soulistic is mostly seafood but there are a few meat based ones.

Other good grain-free brands to try are Nature's Variety Instinct, Innova EVO (there is a variety for cats/kittens), Wellness, and GO! Natural.

Here's a chart that lists many brands of canned foods and if grains (and other ingredients) are in them: Chart

An all canned food diet is best for your cat, IMO smile Catnifo.org has good info about porper cat nutrition and why canned or raw foods are best for cats. Your kitten is still young so it's easy to remove the dry food and feed only canned. Or mostly canned with a little dry if that's what works for you.
[notify]