GO!

Is it okay to feed a kitten soley canned kitten food??

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Poof (she- is a- Napoleon)

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 12:26pm PST 
My new kitten Poof is off to a rough start. She has giardia which is giving her the poopies. Now, she won't even go near dry food. But she LOVED the science diet canned food(sample from vet). Is it okay, for now, to just give her the canned?? If I don't, she won't eat at allcry
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 1:42pm PST 
Yes it's actually MUCH better for them. Don't give her any dry at all, ever and you'll be helping to prevent a lot of health issues. The Science Diet is fine for now because of her problems but when that is gone away, I highly recommend going all wet, grain free. Like Wellness, Nature's Variety, Evo, Merrick, etc. Grains don't belong in a kitties diet, we're carnivores. I started Finney and Lacey right away when they were kittens on grain free and they've never had anything but since. What an adorable kitten btw, and such a cute name!!! POOF! LOL laugh out loud
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 2:32pm PST 
Finney is right, wet is much better for them, and, it should be mixed, with water, so its real soupy. Keeps them flushed out, prevents crystals, yes, girl kitties can get them too, even tho, boy kitties are more prone, and it dilutes their urine, keeps the ph lower, thus, preventing bladder issues.

Grain free is better. Grains, which Science Diet is full of, cause tummy issues and IBD issues, as well as skin issues. I feed Blue Wilderness, its by Blue Buffalo. No more crystals, no more bladder issues, and its the only grain free foodie, that Bump will eat.

Here are some good sites, to get you started. waveway to gohug

http://catinfo.org/

http://www.ibdkitties.net/index.h tml
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 4:04pm PST 
Sorry Cruiser, we disagree about adding water for little kittens. They already have a hard enough time getting in enough food for all that growing, and remember canned food is already 70% or more water. Around here, we have both wet and dry foods but some of us don't eat the dry. Meowma feels that with no dry food it's harder to keep/gain weight, which is a common problem with Burmese who tend not to eat very much anyway. Other types of kitties might not need the supplementation; we think it varies among individuals.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '12 5:52am PST 
Well, she liked the science diet so much, I ordered 2 cases.....now if I can only keep my dog from eating itlaugh out loud
[notify]

Nellie (married to toby j)

ms. cuddlebug

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '12 10:23am PST 
if that what shes likes and it works for hers than go for it. unforntly with me a canned food only diet wouldnt work. i dont eat enough of it. mom has to give me dry food.

Edited by author Wed Apr 4, '12 10:23am PST

[notify]

Purred: Fri Apr 6, '12 6:17am PST 
My meomy gave me canned, I like it, just don't eat a whole can at a time. So, she'll leave kibble in my dish, wish I nibble on throughout the day. She doesn't think I'm eating enough, though.shrug
[notify]