GO!

Wellness Core

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Blossom

I smell- T-r-o-u-b-l-e

Purred: Wed Mar 14, '12 11:46am PST 
I've recently started my cat on a new brand, Wellness Core. I mix the wet and dry food and have noticed a really positive change in her energy and appearance. While it's grain-free, and supposed to be very nutritious, does anyone have any more information on this particular brand? Has it ever been recalled, etc..
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Wed Mar 14, '12 12:16pm PST 
Wellness had a recall of their canned foods last year, but I don't believe it included the Core line. I don't judge a company for having had a recall in the past, as recalls happen all too frequently in pet and human foods, but I pay attention to how the company handles the recall. I thought Wellness did a decent job, so the fact that they had a recall hasn't stopped me from feeding their products.

Our cats are on an all-canned diet of a variety of brands and flavors, including a few flavors of Wellness and one of Wellness Core. Ralphie also ate the Core dry food before we switched to all-wet, and never had any problems with it. I suggest that you consider eliminating dry food from Blossom's diet, and you may notice even more of an improvement in her energy, appearance, and overall health. I belive that feeding different brands and flavors is a good idea, to make sure they are getting a well-rounded diet and also in case of any future recalls or discontinued products.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Mar 14, '12 4:37pm PST 
Here's the Wellness CORE web site: http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/categories.aspx?pet=cat&cat=2

It's a good product smile
[notify]

Blossom

I smell- T-r-o-u-b-l-e

Purred: Sat Mar 17, '12 11:11am PST 
Thanks!
[notify]

Nellie (married to toby j)

ms. cuddlebug

Purred: Sat Mar 17, '12 5:08pm PST 
we used to eat wellness dry food too. we had eaten wellness complete health (blue bag) both me and sister alexis got diaherra. we tried the indoor one (yellow bag) i would eat the food than throw up right afterwards. i stopped after removal of food. and we didnt like core.
[notify]

Charlie- Chocolate- Paws

That\'s MINE!

Purred: Tue Mar 20, '12 5:45am PST 
If you google "Wellness Core and crystals" or "Wellness Core urinary", you will find a significant number of posts from people reporting their cat developed urinary issues while eating Wellness Core dry. Charlie developed severe urinary crystals while eating Wellness Core (cannot say definitely that was the cause) but as soon as I switched him off that food, his urinary problems cleared up and he has been healthy ever since.
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Tue Mar 20, '12 6:23am PST 
Any dry food will contribute to crystal formation. I don't think that's too brand specific.

Actually, according to catinfo.org, cats ALWAYS have crystals in their urine.
[notify]

Charlie- Chocolate- Paws

That\'s MINE!

Purred: Tue Mar 20, '12 1:02pm PST 
Of course, Gummi, feeding dry food is a concern for urinary issues regardless of brand. There does seem to be a higher reporting rate of urinary issues and Wellness Core on the internet and I'm simply providing that information to the OP so that they are aware and can do their own research into it.
[notify]

Tenny

Food is My- Friend

Purred: Wed Mar 21, '12 11:35pm PST 
I would point out that people that do feed Core are more health conscious about their pet and are probably more vocal -- like us! As a result, they are more likely to be up in arms about any health issues as compared to the average Joe or Josephine that just feed kitty a bag that's on sale every week. So I think part of the Wellness Core reports are due to the fact that a more observant, educated, and vocal pet owner population buys it.

That all said, I feed the kitties Wellness Core Dry when I have to; I prefer wet, but if I go away for a few days, I don't want to make my pet sitter think as much as I do about it! However, in the future, I'll probably have to go away for about a month for research purposes, so I'll probably stock up on wet and just tell them to dole out the cans
[notify]