GO!

diamond cat food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Chloe

Miss Clean

Purred: Mon Mar 12, '12 4:46pm PST 
I'm trying to find an affordable but decent cat food for my parents cats and I've come across diamond chicken/salmon/duck. Since I work at a pet boutique, I get a discount on pet food which ends up being $14 for 24- 5 oz cans.
Here are the ingredients:

Chicken, chicken broth, poultry liver, salmon, duck, brown rice flour, fish meal, dicalcium phosphate, lecithin, cranberry powder, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, taurine, carrageenan gum, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, and sodium selenite.

I know its not the best of the best, but considering that my parents often buy friskies and the like, I think its a step up.

Has anyone tried this particular food?

I've bought them chicken soup before which is similar in price, but they didnt like the taste of that.
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Tue Mar 13, '12 3:56am PST 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Pet_Foods

I wouldn't feed it.

Reaching back in my memory, seems like there were other issues too, think they were one of the many foods, involved in the Menu Foods saga of 2007. Do a search for Diamond Food and see what comes up, don't have time this morn to do it, mol. The others can also give you great information. waveway to gohug
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Tue Mar 13, '12 4:54am PST 
I'd feed it. Diamond's tract record may not be perfect, but neither is Purina's, and that canned food is a heck of a lot better than Friskies. And affordable as you said. Not ideal, but a step up.

That being said, have you thought about Felidae? Or By Nature? Those are good quality and quite affordable.

Edited by author Tue Mar 13, '12 4:58am PST

[notify]

Booger

I beg, therefore- I am.

Purred: Tue Mar 13, '12 8:59pm PST 
Yes, I'm aware of diamond's track record, but they also make felidae and taste of the wild and I feel like their quality control has improved since the recalls.

The main issue for me is the cost, in addition to canned food, I also pay for dry cat food (totw) and dry dog food for their dog, since my parents arent concerned with nutrition, they would just by whatever is on sale at a grocery store and its not going to happen on my watch.

I'm going to check the price of felidae which may be another option.
[notify]

Booger

I beg, therefore- I am.

Purred: Wed Mar 14, '12 11:21am PST 
^ sorry, Booger is Chloe's kitty sister.
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Wed Mar 14, '12 12:45pm PST 
Also, melamine wasn't something that anyone even thought to test for, it was an unknown at the time. I hear that stuff all the time about the 2007 recalls and I just cringe.
[notify]

Sammy

The Wizard Cat

Purred: Sun Mar 25, '12 12:17am PST 
Sammy eats Dave's and BFF. My local pet store has them for $1.09-$1.39 a can. Would your employer consider stocking either one? With your discount, they may be almost as affordable as Diamond.

I have never fed Sammy Diamond wet food, but I have fed her TOTW dry and I feed most of my dogs TOTW too.
[notify]