GO!

New Honest Kitchen formula "Grace". Any info?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Mon Feb 27, '12 9:05pm PST 
Hey I just found this new food "Grace" on the Honest Kitchen site and was wondering if anyone has info or advice on this food or has tried it?
I am thinking of trying it for my cats but was wondering what other people think about it, the ingredients, etc...
I have two cats with allergies or probably allergies, and one senior cat with CRF.

Here is the info from their website:

"This natural cat food diet was designed to cater to adult cats, of all breeds and sizes. It is grain and gluten free and recommended for cats with grain or gluten sensitivities. "
"Grace is made with cage-free USDA turkey and like all of our diets, it’s 100% human-grade, made in the USA, and does not contain corn, soy, rice, beet pulp or wheat. Just add water for a fresh, wholesome and human grade meal."

Ingredients list:
Dehydrated cage-free turkey, eggs, pumpkin, potatoes, parsley, dandelion greens, cranberries, rosemary, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate.

Guaranteed Analysis

Protein, 38.5% min
Fat, 34.5% min
Fiber, 2.5% max
Moisture, 4.5% max
Taurine, .3% min
621 Calories per cup

More info:
http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/grace/
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Tue Feb 28, '12 3:36am PST 
Wow, isn't that a lot of fat and calories per cup? I think some cats might gain weight on that. I also heard that Honest Kitchen was very expensive, since its essentially a dehydrated raw. I was looking into it a while back for my dog, but its just not in my budget.

Let us know what you think if you try it!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Feb 28, '12 9:26am PST 
The Honest Kitchen is pretty pricey. Human paid about $40 for the 4 pound box of Prowl before shock

I don't know about Grace, but the Prowl is very high in carbs. It was posted in the comments section of the product info page awhile ago.

You can give Grace a try for your non-CRF cats. You might want to keep an eye on their weights because Grace is calorie-dense. And make sure to rehydrate the food completely. Human used to make the food extra soupy and let it sit for a few minutes to rehydrate.

I think CRF cats need a food that is is low in protein? thinking I'm not sure if Grace is good for a CRF cat. The minimum/maximum values on the label are useless. It doesn't tell anything about the exact nutritional content of the food. Maybe you can call the company and ask if their food is suitable for CRF cats?

Edited by author Tue Feb 28, '12 9:28am PST

[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Purred: Wed Feb 29, '12 6:57pm PST 
Hunter I think those numbers are before rehydration, because it is a dehydrated food so that is not the calories/fat "as served" (once you add water).
The "as served" calories per cup are 310, fat is 17% and protein 19% carbs 7%.

Edited by author Wed Feb 29, '12 6:57pm PST

[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 5:56am PST 
I actually just got a sample of "Grace" yesterday, so I will see how it goes! Mine liked "Prowl" (surprisingly)so I figure I'll give this a shot too.
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Sun Mar 11, '12 2:43pm PST 
Update: They didn't like the 'Grace'. It might be the turkey in it they don't care for, but I'm not sure. thinking
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Purred: Sun Mar 11, '12 6:33pm PST 
Oh that's too bad. I just ordered samples of it since it seems none of the stores around me carry the new formula...
I was hoping it might work out since some of my cats are allergic to chicken.
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Mon Mar 12, '12 8:08am PST 
Good luck! My guys are super picky so the fact that they didn't like that flavor may not mean much. laugh out loud
[notify]