GO!

Best dry food for a cat on a diet?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Fri Feb 24, '12 4:18pm PST 
My friend has a 5 year male indoor-only cat who needs to lose weight. Sammie was 14.5 lbs. last year and his vet was ok with him at that weight as long as he didn't gain any more. Sammie saw the vet today and now weighs 17.2 lbs. His vet says he has to lose the extra weight and needs to lose about 3-4 lbs.

Feeding him wet food isn't an option. Sammie eats dry food only. Sometimes he'll eat a tiny amount of Weruva wet food (mainly the gravy) or cooked chicken as a *treat* but it usually causes him to throw up.

He gets 3/4 cup Wellness dry salmon daily. I told my friend he needs to lose weight slowly and to gradually cut his daily intake from 3/4 cup to 2/3 cup a day and see if he loses weight.

My friend wants to feed Sammie a weight loss formula food so he can continue to eat the same amount of food and still lose weight. I'm doing my best to dissuade her from feeding him one of the *diet* foods and to stick to a *quality* dry food but feed him less. Either way, she seems intent on switching brands and thinks the Wellness is too rich and calorie dense.

I sent her the link to the recommended dry foods on Alex's IBD website. My friend wants to know which of those foods would be lowest in calories and best for a cat on a diet. I don't know!

Can anyone help? Here's the link to the page on Alex's IBD website with the recommended dry foods:

IBDKittiesDryFood

Thanks!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Feb 24, '12 5:03pm PST 
Dry foods are very calorie-dense shrug To lose weight, it is suggested to feed about 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight. If you need to weigh 10 pounds, then you'd need 200 to 250 calories per day. With dry foods containing as much as 600 calories per cup, you'd have to eat like 1/4 cup per day but that's not a lot of food and leaves you too hungry shrug

You can find out the calorie info for many brands of food here: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/dryfood.html

If your friend hasn't already seen this, here are tips on how to transition a cat to canned food:
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Feb 25, '12 9:12am PST 
Please tell Sammy's mommy, that Wellness has been linked to crystal issues, and fishy foodies, is another cause, one of many, of crystals. I know, I have a crystal kitty.

The marketing people have done an excellent job, in convincing, the general public, that any "prescription diet" has some magic formula in it, and/or medicine in it. And the fact that one can only get it from a vet, further convinces the public, it must work.

What people don't realize, there is no magic formula, there is no medicine in it, the fact that one can only get if from a vet, does not mean it works, and all one is doing, is paying alot more for it. Its the ingredients, one has to look at, thats all that it is.

Its the same, with any weight control foodies. You have to look at the ingredients. Most weight control foodies just have less fat in them, a duh????? MOL

And if said weight control foodies, has grains in them, you are accomplishing nothing. Grains are carbs, carbs are sugars, its the same as with people.

To get a kitty to safely loose weight, one has to feed a grain free food. One also has to look at the kcal count on that food, to figure out, how much to feed, per day, and your vet can help you figure this out. You take the kitty to the vet, along with what you are feeding him/her. The vet can determine, how much the kitty needs to loose, and calculate the kcal count, as to how much to feed, per day. Each food is different, each flavor of the same brand grain free food is different.

Weight should be taken off, very very very slowly, or you risk liver disease.

Each kitty is different too. Some have high metablisims, some are very active, some have lower metablisims, some are not so active, its just like with people. You can take 10 people, feed them the exact same food, some will gain weight, some will not.

The kittens run thru the house at warp speed, like crazy boys, anything in their path, better get out of the way, or it gets knocked down, they are beyond active. They are also brothers, from the same litter.

One has a higher metabalism, he gets a little over a 1/2 cup a day, and he could use more, I am in the process of upping his. The other one, has a lower metabilism, he gets 1/4 cup a day, and you wouldn't want to give him any more. He is right at the weight he needs to be at, and anymore, and he would be overweight. They get wet in the morn, 1/2 a 3.0 can.

So 2 kittens, from the same litter, eating the same exact food, and they each get a different amount.

I took them, and their food to my vet, and she looked at the kcal, and their weight, and figured out, how much, they should be fed per day.

The weight control formula foodies, is just a way, the marketing people, figured out, to make more money for the companies.

laugh out loudwaveway to gohug
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Feb 25, '12 4:52pm PST 
The Catster fleas ate the end of my post naughty

This is the link with tips on how to transition a cat to canned food: http://catinfo.org/docs/Tips%20for%20Transitioning%20PDF%201-14-11.pdf
[notify]

'Bitz

Purred: Sat Feb 25, '12 8:49pm PST 
Kind of a dilema since he won't eat wet food. I think the best course of action might be to slowly transition him over to a weight loss kibble. Make the transition a slow one, over the course of about 2 weeks if possible. Nutro Natural Choice Healthy Weight formulas might be an option him. When he is completely transitioned over to the new kibble, see how he's doing weight wise and adjust the amount given as needed. Possibly under the guidance of his veterinarian.

Keep in mind that dry kibble is carb and calorie dense so this may be a slow process. Have patience thinking
[notify]

Hobbes

Mr. Catnap

Purred: Sun Feb 26, '12 6:38am PST 
Hello! People say i'm a fat cat tooshrug I use Purina One Adult cat hairball formula. I feel like i'm at a better health when i don't have hairballs. Don't change your cats food to fast though, they won't like that. Hope that helped
-Hobbes
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Sun Feb 26, '12 12:48pm PST 
Thank you for your replies about how much a cat's daily calorie intake should be and for the helpful links!

My friend won't like that she's going to have gradually reduce Sammie to such a small amount of food every day. Now I'm concerned she's going to switch him to one of the *diet* dry foods when she learns what a small amount of regular dry food she'll need to feed him.

He vomits when he eats dry and wet foods together but she's never tried wet food only and won't because she isn't working and says it's too expensive. I've tried to get her to feed him wet food only and explained that it's healthier for him long term and that he'd definitely lose weight but she won't do it.

I'll keep talking to my friend about it and will pass the info and links on to her and also alert her about the crystal problems with Wellness dry.

Edited by author Sun Feb 26, '12 1:16pm PST

[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Feb 26, '12 4:51pm PST 
Ask your friend this: which would she prefer, feed canned food now and avoid many common health issues *or* pay for very expensive vet bills later in life from health issues caused by the cat being overweight and eating nothing but dry food? shrug

Even an inexpensive brand like Special Kitty (from Wal Mart) or Fancy Feast is better than dry food, IMO.

It's good that you will continue talking to your friend and encouraging her to at least get more canned food into the cat's diet. Ultimately the decision is hers because it's her cat, not yours shrug
[notify]

Cocoa (Our- Angel Cat)

Couch Potato

Purred: Tue Feb 28, '12 9:40am PST 
Please keep trying to convince her that even adding one can a day to the cats meals will be a big help in the battle of the bulge. Remember though to start out giving just a tiny portion, maybe just a spoonful of wet food in the beginning. The poor kitty's tummy is so used to dry 'ol food that we don't want to shock it and cause tummy troubles. But wet food is SO much healthier, even Friskies, but don't get any of the flavors with gravy, they contain wheat gluten, which is not good for cats. This site ibdkitties.net has a great listing of foods to choose from that will get her cat on the road to good health!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Tue Feb 28, '12 12:06pm PST 
Hi Kaci!!! Thanks for including a link to my site. Can you give your friend the information from my fatty liver disease page? Maybe print it out and get her to read it so she knows how dangerous it is to have them lose weight too quickly? As far as dry foods go, I like Merrick or Evo. I would think that as long as the calories are from healthy fats like the real meat, then that's what they need in their system and helps them metabolize the fat better? Am I saying that right? shrug
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2