GO!

Food Experiment

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Wed Jan 11, '12 5:16am PST 
Well, I've encountered something interesting. First of all, Hunter is/was at the point of eating half wet and half dry. How I got into this predicament, I'm not really sure. Now he is at the point where he would rather eat his dry food over the wet, except for Fancy Feast. Anyway, my mom mentioned to me the other day, that Hunter sleeps alot. I've never really noticed, everytime I really pay attention to him, he is running around like a lunatic. I chalked it up to him being sick over the weekend. (Hairball fiasco). I should also mention that Hunter never, ever seems to finish his dinner (wet food). Which really irritates me, as some cans are like $1.79 per can! The past few days, he hasn't even touched it, and I have to throw it away. He would rather eat his dry food. So last night, I tried to play with him, with his beloved laser light. Eh, he wasn't really that intersted. The minute I stopped, he went to sleep.

Well last night, I didn't give in to his dry food. I put his half a can of wet down and went to bed. I woke up and it was gone. smile Finally, he had to eat the wet because he didn't have the dry. I also noticed this morning that he was a freaking lunatic. Running around into walls, windows, like the Hunty I used to know.

So now I'm thinking, okay, maybe there is some sort of connection with dry food and being lazy/sleepy? Is that even possible? Maybe it was a one day fluke sort of thing?

I'm going to continue and see how it goes.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? Maybe its just Hunter? hmmm...
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Jan 11, '12 8:27am PST 
First of all, thumbs up for trying the experiment! way to go I think some of us give up too easily when trying to switch to healthier foods so it's great that you tried this. I suppose that if a cat had a glucose issue, even if it hasn't developed into diabetes, the carbs in dry food could affect his energy level. Just a guess on my part - anyone else have any thoughts about it?
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Wed Jan 11, '12 9:19am PST 
It doesn't really surprise me I guess. Those of us who feed raw always note how much energy our cats have compared to when they were fed "other" food and we say it is because they are able to utilize so much more of the nutrients/calories that go in as compared to a food with carbs. People who feed strictly grain free canned also notice this type of difference.

No matter how good the kibble is that you feed, it's going to have a lot more carbs than grain free canned food, so noticing this difference in energy level might very well be a perfect illustration of this principle.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Wed Jan 11, '12 10:33am PST 
Well Hunters food is about 80% grain free. Unfortunately I don't think the fancy feast is, he gets that for breakfast. He loves it, but I refuse to feed him exclusively fancy feast. Anyway, all of his 'dinner' foods are grain free though. Most are higher quality.(Natures Variety, Addiction, Merrick) His kibble is Orijen which is grain free, but yes, its a kibble. Going to cut back on that. Even his vet doesn't want Hunter on any kibble. Its my fault. I was trying to put weight on him, he is such a skinny boy. It didn't work though. I guess he is destined to be a slender, tall cat!

Anyway, I will keep up with the 'hardly any' dry food experiment and see how it goes. I'll definately update this.
[notify]

Samantha

Sammerstiltskin

Purred: Thu Jan 12, '12 8:37pm PST 
Hunters mom - I'm happy you were able to outsmart him. I'm having a similar issue with my kitties. They have had some food changes lately but no matter WHAT i give them they barley eat any wet food anymore.

How long can you leave wetfood out for? I feel like a jerk if I go to bed and don't leave any food out for them over the night. Normally I leave the wet out for 30 minutes and throw the rest away. Does it go bad quick?

I want to eventually get them on an all WET food diet I'm just gone half the day for work.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Fri Jan 13, '12 4:43am PST 
Samantha's mom, you can leave canned food out longer than 30 minutes. When I feed them canned and not raw I just leave it out until it's gone. Even with raw food I'll leave it out when I go to bed if there's any left. It gets eaten sometime during the night and nothing bad's ever happended because of that.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Fri Jan 13, '12 5:26am PST 
I agree with Shade, I leave wet food out all night. Whether its a good or bad thing, I don't know. When I leave for work at 6:00am I feed Hunter. He gets 1 can of fancy feast. I leave it out all day and when I get home, its gone. Usually during the afternoon he'll snack on some kibble. Around 8:00pm before I go to bed, I feed him half of a 5.5oz can of the higher quality food. Again, I leave that out all night. Normally he never, ever finishes it. Don't know why. But the past two nights, he has ate everything!!! I'm so proud of my big boy.

Last year at Hunters vet exam, I mentioned it to the vet how he never finishes his dinner. She said that Hunter is probably a "self regulator" meaning he will only eat what his body needs. Which is why he is at a pefect weight for his size. How true any of that is, I really don't know. He weighs the same no matter what I feed him, wet, dry, a mix of both. His weight does not fluctuate whatsoever.

As for the food experiment. I haven't given Hunter any kibble since Tuesday. He has been a bit more awake than normal, greeting me when I come home etc. But he does take a good nap from 5-8pm. I think he is just more active at night when I'm sleeping. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten up to him trying to get into the cabinets, or him tipping over the kibble tupperware. smile Hunter is crazy, but I wouldn't have it any other way!
[notify]

Tenny

Food is My- Friend

Purred: Mon Jan 16, '12 1:06am PST 
I think I've read a few times on the board that kibble takes hours longer to digest than canned, which takes longer than raw. If Hunter is taking 6+ hours to digest his kibble, then it's taking a bit of his zip out of him! It's like when you have Thanksgiving dinner -- the big nap that follows.

You do exactly what I do with my girls before I go to work and/or sleep. I set out about a half can of wet for each cat, and when I get home, it's almost all gone. I always make a point to clean out the bowls completely when I get home, though, because of bacteria. I've never seen either cat camp out and eat everything in one go, even if I reduce portions. They always leave a little something for later -- I don't think they like looking at an empty bowl!
[notify]

Hermoine

play 23 hours a- day!

Purred: Mon Jan 16, '12 1:51am PST 
I'd say the running around like a maniac might be more normal behavior than being lazy. Cats are hunters and naturally highly inquisitive. I have heard someone say this about the difference between grains and no grain. That grains make animals calmer.

--des
[notify]

Einstein

Purred: Tue Jan 17, '12 3:37pm PST 
When we switched Einstein over to all canned food, we noticed a change like the one described here. He used to be lazy, slept a lot, and didn't play much. Oh, and super overweight. I could never get him to lose weight no matter what kind of dry food I fed him. When we switched him over,he quickly lost his excess weight and gained lots of energy. He became a new cat. It was a crazy transformation.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2