GO!

The Honest Kitchen questions

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Cricket

Sir Chirps-a-lot

Purred: Mon Jan 9, '12 9:14am PST 
I was at the pet store, and I was looking at this product. I asked the guy what he knew. Apparently it sells well, and they've gotten samples in, so he gave me a few to try before switching over completely.
It's gluten free, and has no salt, sugar, preservatives, by products, or fillers, which I believe is good. It's dehydrated, and the package says that it's minimally processed to preserve nutrients.
My questions:
Have you eaten it?
Is it healthy?
Is it cost effective? I haven't price shopped it, but at this store, $19.99 = 16lbs of food.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Jan 9, '12 9:32am PST 
http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/

The Honest Kitchen makes two dehydrated raw cat foods, Prowl and Grace. It's a good food, I think smile You have to mix it with water and let sit for a few minutes before serving. It's a good way to get essential water into your cat smile I think the carb content is kind of high thinking I would not feed either food to a diabetic cat.

A box will last at least a month or two depending on how much food you eat per day. I guess it is a fairly cost effective food thinking Prowl comes in a 2 pound box and a 4 pound box. I don't know about Grace but there should be info on the web site.

Because it is raw food, I would not let this food sit out at room temperature for more than 30 minutes and definitely not in a timed feeder all day.

Leroy and Emma used to eat it Prowl before they got bored of it shrug

Edited by author Mon Jan 9, '12 9:34am PST

[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Mon Jan 9, '12 12:46pm PST 
I tried it on my guys...they looked at me like I was nuts...like...you expect us to eat....this?
It was probably cause it was dehydrated...but somehow, becuase it was rehydrated, the texture wasn't the same as if it were 'natural' food. they just did't like it. It smelled good....and it didn't look bad to me at all. but my guys wouldn't eat it. I wonder if it were mixed with other food if that would change, but I didn't try that.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Jan 9, '12 4:57pm PST 
Human would add enough water to make it canned fod like texture, maybe a little soupier. Leroy and Emma ate it just fine smile It was a good way to get liquid medicine into Leroy way to go shh
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Tue Jan 10, '12 10:20am PST 
I purchased the Prowl also, I added the water and put it down .. they sniffed it and said NO way are we eating that !! and never even licked it, so it pretty much went to waste.

Edited by author Tue Jan 10, '12 10:22am PST

[notify]

Lexi

Purred: Tue Jan 10, '12 1:38pm PST 
mine weren't big fans of it when i added the water and gave it to them. however, when i wrapped the rest of the prowl up and left it on top of my fridge and went in the other room is when they decided they wanted it. ten minutes later, lexi came running into the livingroom with the little sample baggie in her mouth. there was prowl powder all over the kitchen floor and the study and then in the livingroom. my thinking is next time i need them to eat something they don't want to, i'll just sprinkle prowl powder on it!
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Jan 10, '12 5:02pm PST 
You could sprinkle treats or plain cooked chicken on top of the rehydrated Prowl to get a cat to at least try the food thinking A litle pouch or canned food gravy would work, too. If a food is unfamiliar to a cat, of course the cat will refuse it shrug I wouldn't toss the Prowl or Grace after one snub. Some cats need time to get used to a new food, even if it's just for snacks.

Dry Prowl or Grace can be sprinkled on canned or raw food to make it more appealing. Some cats might like that better.
[notify]

HoneyBaby

Quartz makes a- great pillow.

Purred: Fri Jan 13, '12 4:58pm PST 
Excuse me if I am out of order - I think salt is a NECESSARY in a cat food diet.

??
[notify]