GO!

Hard white chunks in Blue Buffalo / Natures Variety? Any one else have this??

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Samantha

Sammerstiltskin

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 2:50pm PST 
Ok so I have some questions on my cats wet food. I recently took them off Natural Balance because there was mold in the food.

I switched to Blue Buffalo dry/wet food. The Blue Wilderness Chicken WET has hard, white chunks in the food. I don’t what this is. Can this be normal? They are in every can I've opened. I tried to put them on Natures Variety and found the same thing! At this point I feel nuts.

Is this normal? Has anyone else found this in their pets food? I’ve tried picking it up at different stores and I still see it in there.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/sammers230/Food.jpg

Maybe this is normal, if it is please let me know.
[notify]

Kosuteh

Biting means I- love you..- right?

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 3:09pm PST 
I'm not as well versed on canned food as some of the others here, but I'm pretttty sure that's not normal to be in cans. I would definitely contact the companies about it. Those don't look normal at all.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 5:17pm PST 
Don't worry, it's just congealed fat; I find these all the time in the NV Instinct and also in EVO 95% meat varieties.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Samantha

Sammerstiltskin

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 6:24pm PST 
It kind of like rocks. They are very hard chunks. thinking If this is normal I'm fine. I just need to know that other people have this and its safe.
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 7:23pm PST 
We used to get those in EVO 95% canned food. They were very white and very hard. The first time I saw one, I almost thought part a tine from the plastic fork I was using to mash the food had broken off. When I tried to pick one out, I dropped it against the side of the glass bowl and it clinked like it was made out of ceramic or something. It seemed almost too hard to even be bone! The only thing I could think of that might be ground into pet food that would be that hard would be bits of animals' teeth.
shrug

Until those cans were gone, I picked out anything that looked like that. Since then, we've switched to Merrick's Before Grain and haven't seen anything like it.

Monida

I look so- innocent when- I'm sleeping.

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 11:53pm PST 
I don't think that's normal - I would contact the company. I don't think congealed fat would get that hard.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Wed Jan 4, '12 3:51am PST 
No, the fat shouldn't be so hard that it clinks when dropped on something. That's really weird that it was in the Blue Buffalo and the NV though.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Wed Jan 4, '12 3:52am PST 
Its not normal and its not fine, and I would not feed it either. I gave you Linda's name and number, did you call her? I also have the manager of thee United States and Canada, name and number. That one, will cost a quarter, mol. laugh out loud
[notify]

Robin

I will eat- anything.

Purred: Wed Jan 4, '12 5:38am PST 
As someone who demos for Blue Buffalo on the weekends, I can safely say that no, that is not normal, do not feed it, and bring it to the company's attention with a phone call (which it sounds like you might have already done). thinking How very strange.

Edit: I agree with Shade, it is very odd to see it in both Blue and NV.

Edited by author Wed Jan 4, '12 5:47am PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jan 4, '12 9:16am PST 
My first thought was bone but NV doesn't put bone in the canned food. Then I thought maybe undissolved vitamins/minerals that didn't get completely mixed into the food, like calcium carbonate. Can you break apart the chunks or is it completely solid like plastic?

Do all the NV cans have the same batch number? It's on the bottom of the can. It might just be a bad batch or two.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2