GO!

Random thought on food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Jan 2, '12 4:57pm PST 
I know canned fod or raw food is best for cats because of the moisture content and and all that.

What about rehydrating air-dried food (Ziwi Peak and other similar brands) or freeze dried raw food or dehydrated raw food (The Honest Kitchen's Prowl or Grace and similar brands)? thinking You're adding water to the food and letting it soak for a few minutes to fully rehydrate before feeding it. You could even add extra water to make the food soupy if you wanted to. That would be an ok way to get extra water into the body, right? thinking Or since it starts out dry, it's still considered dry food and still a no-no? thinking

We were just curious and haven't found an answer anywhere shrug It's either canned and raw food way to go and dry kibble food naughty
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Mon Jan 2, '12 6:15pm PST 
Purrsonally, I'd call it a wet food. Anyway, for those that don't feed dry, it's usually the ingredients rather than the form that seems to cause the controversy. We did try a box of Prowl here, some liked it, some wouldn't touch it, but all in all Meowma couldn't see enough freeze dried meat, and too much green stuff, before hydrating, so wasn't happy about it; she said it was 'weird"
[notify]

Robin

I will eat- anything.

Purred: Mon Jan 2, '12 6:26pm PST 
Well, I use freeze-dried Stella and Chewy's sometimes for my oldest who won't eat raw. I re-hydrate it of course, but I guess freeze-dried or dried foods that aren't processed are in a weird in-between category laugh out loud
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 4:41am PST 
Merlin, I would consider rehydrated food the same as canned or raw for moisture content. My only concern would be bacteria. Do you think when you add water bacteria grows like it does on kibble? Or is it the ingredients in the kibble that cause the bacteria?
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 7:01am PST 
I thought with the kibble that the growth of bacteria did have something to do with all the fats and animal digest they spray on the outside of the pieces. Still I would clean up any rehydrated raw within 20 mintues or so and not chance leaving it down for too long. Most likely a cat used to getting a meal of canned or raw would eat all it wanted to in this time period anyway.

I don't think that you can rehydrate the jerky type foods like Ziwipeak, although I can't say that I ever tried to either.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 7:07am PST 
Slightly off topic, I used dehydrated raw, like the Stella & Chewy's patties, to put into automatic feeders for the boys when we go away overnight; normally they eat canned and raw. I guess I risk them getting a bit dehydrated doing this, but I guess since I don't do it very often it doesn't matter too much. I would not like to rehydrate the patties and leave them for 8 or more hours, that's for sure.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 9:31am PST 
I was thinking more of rehydrating a single serving of food and throwing away anything that isn't eaten within 10 minutes, not letting rehydrated food sit out all day and possible have bacteria start growing in it.

OnlyNaturalPet.com has a new air-dried food called MaxMeat. The product info says that the food can be rehydrated. There's another brand I saw but can't remember the name of thinking

Human's cats are happy eating raw food and occasionally a little canned food smile Human was just wondering about other types of food and adding water to them smile
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 5:26pm PST 
I'm sorry Merlin, I didn't mean to insinuate that you would leave the food out for a long time, I was kind of answering the issue BK brought up.

I looked at the MaxMeat food you mentioned. It doesn't seem bad at all, but I don't know why they have to add the pumpkin and pomegranate; yes I'm against adding anything extra at all that isn't striclty necessary. I just love how they say that the bag provides "14 daily servings for a 5 lb cat". Honestly, how many 5 lb adult cats are there? My smallest cat ever was 6 lb.

Purrs,

Shade
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jan 4, '12 9:24am PST 
These types of foods are pricey shock The Ziwi Peak is around $15 for that little bag shock So I guess few people will use these, rehydrated or not, as the main diet for their cats. But it's always good to have different food choices smile
[notify]

Robin

I will eat- anything.

Purred: Wed Jan 4, '12 12:39pm PST 
Yeah, Ziwipeak is ridiculously expensive. The Stella and Chewy's I only buy as a treat.

Edited by author Wed Jan 4, '12 12:40pm PST

[notify]