GO!

quick question on my kittens food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cynder

Mrowww

Purred: Thu Dec 29, '11 9:14pm PST 
hi everyone : ) my kitten cynder is 3 months old, almost 4 months. i can't afford wet food (i'm a 19 year old college student that works part time, and im her only care taker) so i'm trying to figure out what i can do to keep her in excellent health. right now, im feeding her innova cat and kitten food that has a little bit of vita gravy mixed in it; i figure that will help with the moisture, plus it has a lot of extra vitamins too. i plan on switching her to innova evo when her current bag of innova runs out. is the vita gravy thing a good idea? i coat her food in it every morning and leave it out all day, then i figure i should toss it at night. please tell me your insights; i want to make sure she is in great health. thanks!

Edited by author Fri Dec 30, '11 3:24pm PST

[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Thu Dec 29, '11 10:57pm PST 
I would not add any liquid to dry kibble. This can be dangerous,can cause upset stomach and even death. If kibble is moistened with any type of liquid, bacteria starts to grow on it after a mere 20 minutes. So if your cat does not eat all the food in at least a half an hour you should throw it out. Can you feed the Vita gravy seperatly??
Im not sure what vita gravy is, what are the ingredients?
Also you will have to be careful if you want to feed the Evo kibble as this food does tend to pack on the weight quite quickly. Are there other options available to you? How about wet food that is cheaper. I do have a list of foods that are grain and gluten free. You can go to Alex's web site ibdkitties.net there is a list of food there
Let us know how it goes. kitty

Edited by author Thu Dec 29, '11 10:58pm PST

[notify]

Purred: Fri Dec 30, '11 1:10am PST 
thank you so much for the information! vita gravy is this stuff:
http://www.petguys.com/-000433911960.html

i am not too sure about the ingredients. i can't decide if i like them or not so i haven't given her too much of it.
i think i am just going to use whatever i have to get her some premium canned food; i really want to make sure shes a happy kitty. how much do you recommend i feed her in a day?
i was thinking i could get her the evolve turkey formula. it looks moderately priced and the ingredients seem great. would that be a good choice? she is my first kitten and i am doing as much research as i can, but some things are conflicting..lol
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Dec 30, '11 6:10am PST 
IMO, the cheapest brand of canned food is way better than even the highest quality dry food. It's a pay it now or later kind of thing: spend money now on canned food and avoid many common health issues later in life (obesisty, diabetes, etc) *or* buy dry food and possibly end up with (very expensive) health issues later in life.

I guess a compromise would be to feed both canned and a preferably grain-free dry thinking Maybe 50/50? Innova EVO Cat/Kitten dry food is one of the "better" ones to feed. Nature's Variety Instinct (not the Prarie one) and Wellness CORE are also good.

Canned food doesn't have to break the bank. Fancy Feast is a good inexpensive brand. Wal Mart's Special Kitty brand costs even less. Most supermarkets' generic brand of cat food is probably similar in price to Fancy Feast. Big chain pet stores often have sales on Fancy Feast and other brands, sometimes like 30 cans for $16 or something.

Adding water to dry food is a no-no. Harmful bacteria can quickly grow and cause an upset tummy. I woudn't put Vita-Gravy on the dry food either and let that sit out all day.

You should let your kitten eat some canned food so that she knows that it is food. You never know when you might have to feed a canned food only diet later in life due to health issues.

Just my thoughts smile I ate a supposedly "good" dry food for 8 years and then ended up with diabetes confused The dry food was so high in carbs that it negatively affected my pancrease. Many other cats have developed diabetes just from eating a lifelong diet of dry food. Just take a look at all the new members who join daily at FelineDiabetes.com

When Human got her new cats after I went to the Bridge, she put them on a raw food diet to avoid them getting diet-related health issues.

Catinfo.org has a lot more information about proper diet for cats smile

The gravy ingredients: Seafood Broth, Rice Flour, Safflower Oil, Natural Salmon Flavor, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Honey, Carrots, Celery, Tomato Paste, Pineapple Pulp, Yucca Pulp, Mineral & Vitamin Premix: (A Palmitate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, E Alpha Tocopherols Acetate, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Magnesium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Thiamine Hydrochloried, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Taurine, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Lemon Juice, Caramel Color, Xanthan Gum

Pretty icky with a lot of uncessary stuff confused Since you're just using the gravy to add moisture to the dry food, I would just skip giving any gravy and feed the dry food plain and encourage the kitten to drink water from a bowl or fountain. And in the meantime, at least look into affordable brands of canned food and think about feeding at least some canned food with extra water added.

I hope this help and have fun with your kitten hugcheer

Edited by author Fri Dec 30, '11 6:15am PST

[notify]

Cynder

Mrowww

Purred: Fri Dec 30, '11 1:21pm PST 
thank you for your input! I stopped feeding her the gravy today. if I give her half a can of wet food in the morning then the other half at night with extra water I could afford a moderately priced brand. would this work out well?

EDIT: i just saw the turkey kitten formula by fancy feast. would this be a good choice? i still can't afford 2 cans a day right now, but is this food any good? i looked at the ingredients and I don't really like them all that much; how worth it would it be to feed her this? or should i just stick to getting something a little more pricey for her sake?

Edited by author Fri Dec 30, '11 1:34pm PST

[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Fri Dec 30, '11 2:54pm PST 
You can always find some of the Friskies on the www.ibdkities.net list that would work. They go on sale offen. I wish you were here when I posted about the Black Friday sale at Petsmart. Canned Friskies were $0.35 a can & extra cheap cat litter with $5 off coupon that printed at the register!! Petco has a coupon for $5 off $25 for Jan. 7-8. Places like Nature's Variety emails you coupons when you sign up for their newsletters. I signed up on Facebook for Carol's Citter Corner. She does all the work to find the deals & coupons just like TotallyTarget web site.

My reviews: The Fancy Feast minced Turkey are really good. And the Fancy Feast flaked fish and shrimp is very good, it's real fish! Brownie also like Soulistic Good Karma at Petco. It's real chicken. Petco has Nature's Variety that is really good too!

PS, Go to Wholelifepet.com & request your free treats!!! It's under the Consumer Inquiries tab.
[notify]

Cynder

Mrowww

Purred: Fri Dec 30, '11 3:22pm PST 
thank you so much! i wish i was here too, that wouldv'e been perfect! i'm glad to know that the fancy feast is good. i will be going to pick up some for her today, and i'll get whichever of those i can afford for the best quality. so the turkey kitten formula by fancy feast will be good for my little baby? sorry if im asking too many questions, i just want to make sure my little ball of fluff grows up to be a healthy big ball of fluff!

Edited by author Fri Dec 30, '11 3:27pm PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Dec 30, '11 5:07pm PST 
Any of the Fancy Feat kitten foods are fine way to go That's what I ate as a kitten before I started eating only dry food.

Is there a Petco nearby? Right now Fancy Feast is on sale, 20 cans for $11. At Petsmart, buy 33 cans of Fancy Feast and get 3 cans free. You can check your local store ad from the Petco or Petsmart web site. The coupons in the Sunday newspaper often has coupons for Fancy Feast and Friskies. Online coupon web sites may also have these coupons. Sometimes the supermarket, even Target and Wal Mart, has Fancy Feast on sale. Human has seen 20 cans for $10, $0.57 a can, and $10 for a case of food.

A can of food split in half for meals is better than nothing, IMO. Fancy Feast is just fine. You don't need to feed an expensive premium brand.
[notify]

Cynder

Mrowww

Purred: Fri Dec 30, '11 5:14pm PST 
okay, thank you very much! kitty looks like i'll be getting fancy feast. i do believe there is a petco nearby; for that kind of sale i might be able to get her on 2 cans every other day for now. you saved me from being broke, and saved my precious cynder from being stuck on only dry food! that was the last thing i wanted to do to her!
[notify]

Booger

I beg, therefore- I am.

Purred: Fri Dec 30, '11 6:07pm PST 
Do you have trader joes where you live? TJ's brand cat food is only $.50-60 per 5.5 oz can and has decent ingredients.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2