GO!

Transition Your Cat To ANY Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lola

My opinion is- just that.... - YMMV :)

Purred: Wed Jun 8, '11 1:37pm PST 
Normally, I wouldn't recommend anything made by Purina (or the ingredients). However...when I was reading about raw diets, I stumbled upon this tidbit of info. This info is also VERY helpful to those transitioning from dry to canned, or transitioning to different textures of canned food.

Dr. Lisa Pierson DVM - "Other tips: FortiFlora is a probiotic that I use to entice cats to eat. I do not use it as the label states, since I am not using it for its probiotic properties. Instead, I am using it as I would if I wanted to season my own food with salt and pepper. As little as 1/10th of a package sprinkled on top of food can go a long way to entice a cat to eat something new. This is because FortiFlora is formulated using an animal digest which is the same substance that they coat dry food with to make it very palatable for cats and dogs." Making Cat Food

The transition from dry to canned was a looooong bumpy road for us.

Breaking the addiction to dry, breaking the habit of wanting to eat on a whim all day long, finding 3 different brands of acceptable quality wet foods that all 7 felines liked and all 7 having no bodily function issues ...was no walk in the park! However, we were eventually successful. smile

Long story short... I recently wanted to make a change in wet canned food. The majority of our bunch would only eat pate style food (with added water). The food I wanted to change to was not pate. The pate eaters turned their noses up at the new chunky and/or shredded style of food. Others would eat, but wanted to eat a little here and there. (I'm not comfortable leaving wet food out for hours.)

I was still tired from all the trial and error from transitioning from dry to wet. lol I didn't want to start a new adventure. I caved, and bought Fortiflora.

OH MY GOSH, I soooooo wish I had known about Fortiflora when I was transitioning from dry to wet!!

As Dr. Lisa Pierson DVM states, only a litttttttle is needed. All 7 of ours shared one envelope. (Directions state one envelope per feline.)

I only used it for one meal of the day and only used it for 3 days. 3 envelopes later, ALL our felines will eat ANYTHING (any brand, any flavor, any style) and they all eat their meals in one sitting.
I change brands and flavors (I rotate 4 brands) all the time now and NOT one cat gets the poops, barfs, constipation, etc either.

big grin

Edited by author Wed Jun 8, '11 1:40pm PST

[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Wed Jun 8, '11 1:49pm PST 
Actually instead of using Fortiflora which has animal digest (gross) they make food toppers that are fantastic for this very reason! Food toppers way to go
[notify]

Lola

Purred: Wed Jun 8, '11 2:15pm PST 
I don't have any experience with Toppers.

As I said, Fortiflora isn't a product I would normally recommend due to the mfg AND the ingredients. It took me several months to decide to post in public about it. laugh out loud

Since it has the same nasty ingredients that the pet food companies spray on dry kibble to entice felines to eat that carp, I figured a few uses of it wouldn't kill 'em.

I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was. Just a tiny bit makes a cat eat anything. I had cans of cat food in my cupboard, that I hadn't gotten around to donating, due to our bunch turning their noses up at it. It is all gone now!
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Wed Jun 8, '11 2:30pm PST 
I have used Holistic Select Transition Solution (just sprinkling a tiny bit on the new food tends to work to get them to eat) OR freeze dried meat crumbled onto the food.
[notify]

Lola

Purred: Wed Jun 8, '11 2:38pm PST 
Well, darn! Wished I had talked to Finney and Mo before posting. I would have LOVED to been able to recommend ANYTHING, other than Fortiflora.

Earlier today, I was just reading a bunch of different threads where people were having trouble getting their cats to eat this or that...and thought it was time for me to come forward with my dirty little secret. wink
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Wed Jun 8, '11 3:51pm PST 
Lola, I'm like you - I would rather die than recommend Purina under normal circumstances. And sometimes food toppers work, as does, sometimes, the Holistic Transitions. But often they won't, and while I never had to resort to the Fortiflora to convert my cats from canned to raw, I would have done it had I needed to, and considered the small amount of yuckiness well worth it to effect a change that would be of such huge benefit.
[notify]

Lola

Purred: Wed Jun 8, '11 4:18pm PST 
wave The Dyna Cats way to go
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Wed Jun 8, '11 4:24pm PST 
MOL, it's okay Lola, you had good intentions and actually if I were to get email from a mom who's sick kitty would not eat anything unless it had fortiflora in it, of course I'd say do it! Their health and keeping them eating is far more important than my opinions of the stuff. But you can look on my website at the page I have for treats: http://ibdkitties.net/Treats.html. All of these are either dehydrated, freeze dried, crumbly, hard, you name it. But they are all just meat and or very little of anything else and NOTHING bad. I haven't seen too many kitties that didn't like a lot of this stuff even more so than regular treats or things like fortiflora. A lot of these can be crumbled easily to put on top of food. Mom does it with us with the Purebites chicken sometimes when we're feeling yucky like with the heat. It works like a charm! way to go

Oh and Moe is right which we completely forgot about the Holistic Select transition powder. How on earth we forgot about that stuff I don't know, laugh out loud but it's hotter than Hades here right now so mom's brain is cooked. MOL.
[notify]

Lola

Purred: Wed Jun 8, '11 4:46pm PST 
I'll probably still stick to suggesting Fortiflora (because of my personal success with it) for people ONLY interested in transitioning their felines to a species appropriate diet of wet.

If a person has been feeding dry, more than likely they are feeding some of the same ingredients found in Fortiflora. (eeek!) At least the Fortiflora will have WET "under" it, and it doesn't have to be used long-term to work.

I'm not exaggerating when I say a littttttttle bit on wet food ONE TIME, and all ours ate whatever was put in front of them. The only reason I used it 3x was to break the free feeding habit. (They would panic when their bowls were picked up after a meal.)
[notify]

Gumpy Sweet- Boy

Love wrapped in- fur

Purred: Wed Jun 8, '11 5:11pm PST 
wave

Hi Lola and everybuddy,

I have tried Forti Flora and my cats do go CRAZY when I sprinkle a bit on their food. I don't think animal digest is the greatest ingredient and I wouldn't use this reguarly, but I don't think a tiny bit is horrible. A quick definition of animal digest: "As defined by the AAFCO, it is material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed animal tissue." I know there is more to it than that, I'm just giving a brief description. Many cats also get animal digest as a flavor enhancer sprayed onto dry food (even the 'better' dry foods have animal digest and/or a combination of other flavorings, fats and acids sprayed on to make them palatable and irresistible).

I know Alex and her mom talk about Eagle Pack transition powder, which sounds like a healthier product to use as a flavor enhancer type thing. Maybe someone should email Dr. Pierson with some of these additional ideas for transitioning products which might be healthier?

Hey Finney, those food toppers look good. But geez, they seem expensive. $16.00 for 4 ounces. So that would be about $60.00 a pound for freeze- dried meat? shock

Dr. Pierson does have a page with other tips and suggestions about transitioning cats to wet food on her catinfo.org site. Also on ibdkitties.net (Alex & Finney's mom's site) there is a page about transitioning kitties to wet food. kitty

Tips for transitioning cats to canned food by Dr. Pierson
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2