GO!

The New Wellness Canned Food Available

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Fri May 27, '11 12:32pm PST 
Mommy was shopping on Petco.com and saw that they have the new Wellness canned cat food available. It is grainfree in different meat flavors and cuts. Mommy emailed Wellness to ask how many calories were in each can.

Wellness Sliced Cuts Adult Canned Cat Food

Wellness Minced Cuts Adult Canned Cat Food

Wellness Cubed Cuts Adult Canned Cat Food

Seems the ingredient list is all the same except for the meat and how it is cut.

Example- Chicken:
3 oz.; Case of 24
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Water Sufficient for Processing, Peas, Dried Egg Whites, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Carrots, Guar Gum, Broccoli, Sodium Phosphate, Ground Flaxseed, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, With Added Minerals, Taurine, With Added Vitamins, Choline Chloride.
-Crude Protein (min.) 8.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 4.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 1.0%, Moisture (max.) 82.0%, Ash (max.) 2.8%, Magnesium (max.) 0.025%, Taurine (min.) 0.05%

How does the ingredient list look for the food?

We love pate but we love the Wellness pouches too. Mommy would like us to eat different cuts of meat if we enjoy it. She figures that is probably best to start while young so we aren't fussy about that when we get older.
[notify]

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Fri May 27, '11 1:59pm PST 
Hi Zack!

The ingedient list looks pretty good to me. Thank you so much for sharing this information!
[notify]

Buddy Boo

But. .but, it\'s- supposed to be a- Roar!

Purred: Fri May 27, '11 2:26pm PST 
... Peas, Dried Egg Whites, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Carrots, Guar Gum, Broccoli, Sodium Phosphate..., Salt,

Hi
I hate to be a stickler but ^^ ingredients are very concerning, particularly the Sodium Phosphate (I hope Catsters will google this and read into it, along with "natural flavors". There is much information regarding these things.) Then there's also Salt.

Dried Egg "product".
Peas, Carrots & Broccoli....honestly this is more fit for a dog or humans as they are not obligate carnivores like cats (and Ferrets) are.

Just my $.02 for what it's worth but I hope Catsters research into these ingredients either way for their own peace of mind. wink

Also Carbohydrate content is very important. Is it below 7%?

Edited by author Fri May 27, '11 2:30pm PST

[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Fri May 27, '11 2:54pm PST 
Buddy Boo, I want your 2 cents worth plus anyone elses!! Thank you for your reply. Mommy will look more of those ingredients up. She hasn't ordered the new cans yet.

I did get an email back from Wellness right away. And here is the calories (I only asked about the chicken and turkey flavors)

Sliced- chicken: 87 kcal/can
Cubed Adult- Turkey: 83 kcal/ can
Cubed Adult -Chicken:87 kcal/can
Minced-Turkey:83 kcal/can
Minced-Chicken:88 kcal/can

It is similar to their calories in the pouches. Less calories than their regular Wellness 3oz canned food which is around 120.
[notify]

♥Kall- y- Kat♥

☆Diva- on- Demand☆

Purred: Fri May 27, '11 2:55pm PST 
Oh Cats yippee! cheercheercheer

Thanks Zack for sharin with us. wave

Me lubbs meaty & sliced meats!

Mommy's gonna go to PETCO & see about buying some!
She printed out a few online $1.00 off coupons on canned foods.

You can get the monthly coupons by just signing up for their monthly
e -newsletters.

Just go to their website to sign up for the newsletters to your e -mail in order to get the coupons. You can print them up off your Printer.

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/recipes.aspx?pet=cat&ft=2
[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Fri May 27, '11 3:02pm PST 
If Mommy did the carb calculation correctly, it has 2.2% carbs and 12% carbs on a dry matter basis.

100 - 97.8(the list of protein, fat, fiber, moisture, ash) = 2.2

dry matter: 2.2 divided by dry matter (100-82) .18 = 12.2%

If I am doing it correctly.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri May 27, '11 3:08pm PST 
I don't have a problem with the other ingredients. The meat is the first ingredient which is important. The other stuff us normal in cat food these days. Try and find one without a lot of fruits and veggies, it's hard! But all that salt bothers me.
[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Fri May 27, '11 4:58pm PST 
I'm fine with the fruits and veggies, as it is getting to be the norm with alot of the brands. We actually love the veggies.

I'm looking at salt and the sodium names and it is in most canned cat food. It is lower on the list on this food than some others I've looked at. So lower on the list means less of it.

It is really hard to find a perfect cat food since there aren't any out there. Since we aren't going to be eating raw, we will do the best we can with what is available. We eat mini meals so we wouldn't even be eating a can of this a day between us. Mommy thinks she will buy some to try it out and add it into our rotation.

Thanks for all the replies and comments. You cats are always so helpful!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri May 27, '11 5:07pm PST 
Zack let us know how it is okay? I'm curious, hopefully it won't be too much salt like you said. I know, I agree, there's no perfect food. I just wish they would understand there's certain things, like salt, that do not need to be added at all! shrug
[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Fri May 27, '11 5:12pm PST 
I for sure will report back. Maybe some other cats will try it before me as we order all our cat food online.

It would be nice if the companies would list the sodium percentage on cat food like they do on human food. Salt content is important as too much can lead to kidney or heart problems. I was reading that over 69% of cat food has salt in it.

Wishing everycat a relaxing Memorial Day Weekend with your families!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3