GO!

Petroleum Jelly, Petrolatum, and Pumpkin

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Milky

Pretty,- charming, and- kind of weird

Purred: Wed Oct 13, '10 1:49pm PST 
I have been reading tons of information, but what I found out is that Vaseline contains petroleum and Laxative tubes contain petrolatum. Some sources indicate that petroleum jelly is not safe to cat's health. Petroleum is a mineral oil. Is it safe to give it to my cat?

I have tried laxative tubes, and they don't work.

As for 100% pumpkin, I am very aware that cats are obligate carnivores, and don't need to eat fruits and vegetables. I do feed her raw chicken and raw turkey. She still throws up small furball about twice a month.

I have no choice, but have to try to feed pumpkin to my cat to prevent furball problem. How much pumpkin do I feed her? twice a week?
[notify]

Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Wed Oct 13, '10 2:12pm PST 
OK, here's the low down (from a chemical stand point).

Mineral oil is a petroleum based oil. Nothing else in it, and it has been used as a laxative for centuries. You must be careful with it because if it is inhaled it can cause major problems, and must not be used with other chemicals, like stool softeners, because it's not good if the body absorbs it; it's just there to lubricate. I've only used it as a last resort for my kitty when he's all stopped up and won't eat anything else. Make sure it's USP grade.

Petrolatum (white) and petroleum jelly are the same thing, mineral oil mixed with wax. I wouldn't recommend it, but my grandmother used to swear by it for herself and her cat.

Be careful with any petroleum based product as they will absorb fat soluble vitamins.

Yes, cats are carnivores, but in the wild if their tummies are upset they will eat fiber, like grass. Pumpkin is probably the best solution for kitties that are constipated and get the occasional hairball. A teaspoon mixed in food once daily is all you need. You may need less if kitty is small.

My cats love petromalt, and when it's shedding season in the spring they get a little every couple of days.

Remember, natural is better, but too much of anything will make things worse.

Hope that helps.
[notify]

Milky

Purred: Wed Oct 13, '10 2:42pm PST 
I need to take chemistry 101 class at a college. lol

I am aware it acts as lubricate to help furballs pass. So, Petrolatum (white) and petroleum jelly are the same thing. I recall that petrol means oil. can you elaborate on "atum" and "leum" when they are the same thing? Are you saying that both of them is mixed with wax? Like Vaseline?

I have heard cat owners swear it works on cats and it doesn't work on cats.

My cat, Milky is strictly indoor only and weighs 10 lbs. That is probably why she throws up furball twice a month. I don't allow her to go outside, because I do not want her to come in with her friends, fleas. I will have to try to feed her daily with pumpkin, and I hope it works. Thanks for the information, and I'm still learning a lot about cat anatomy. smile
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Oct 13, '10 4:53pm PST 
Pumpkin is terrific, make sure it's 100% pure pumpkin and not pie filling. Try to get the organic kind, it tastes and smells a whole lot better! I myself would not use petroleum jelly at all. I would never in a million years eat that myself so why would I give that to my cat? It's a derivative of mineral oil which is from crude oil. Gross and who knows what kind of side effects that could have long term?! Hairballs twice monthly really isn't bad. I'd be much more concerned if it was 2xs a week. Why don't you try using omega oils like Icelandic Pure salmon oil from onlynaturalpets.com? That's much better than pet. jelly and much more healthy. It's good for their coat, for their skin, their heart, etc. and non toxic. Also, try getting a Furminator and use that on her coat once a month. It works great and loosens up the undercoat. There are much better options than pet. jelly. Are you feeding her dry food for instance? What kinds of food? The types of food have a lot to do with digestive issues, whether it's hairballs or something else. big grin
[notify]

Milky

Purred: Wed Oct 13, '10 6:12pm PST 
I will definitely try 100% pure pumpkin. If I can't find the organic kind, I have to use Libby's pumpkin.

I just found out that petrolatum is banned in the EU countries, because it may cause cancer in humans. I will not give Vaseline to my cat.

I will look up omega oils, but what about mercury? Is it a risk to cat's health?

I do have a furminator, and I loooove it. However, if my cat is in the mood for brushing, I have to brush her for about 10 minutes. She gets boring easily and let me know she is done with a furminator.

I have to feed her a wet cat food (9 Lives) in the morning and evening, because she is on antibiotics due to infection from pimples. She is doing well, and all that terrible blackhead are starting to disappear. Woot! She loves wet food, and raw meat (chicken and turkey). However, she is very picky when it comes to dry cat food. She loves Canin Royal, but it is too expensive. She seems to like GoodLife Recipe. We try to feed her raw meals more than dry food.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Oct 13, '10 6:53pm PST 
OH MY GOD!!! I just wrote you a superlong post and the whole thing disappeared! GRRRRRRR! Whaaaaa! Now I have to re-write the whole thing. Okay, I'm going to start over. Yes, Libby's is fine. The organic one is called Farmer's Market and tastes and smells much better though. You won't even believe the difference. It's a national brand so you may be able to find it.

Here's the link for the oils and you can read up on their clean waters and process for making this stuff at the company too: http://icelandpure.com/index2.html. They're a good company and their waters aren't as full of toxins as ours is.

Also, I'd like to see Misty get a better quality wet food. Never mind doing dry, it's bad on hairballs and poops as there's no moisture whatsoever. The raw food is great, keep that up! The wet food should be a better quality like Nature's Variety, Natural Balance, Evo, Wellness, something like that. Switch her slowly so she doesn't get an upset tummy and accepts the food better.

Oh and I'm glad you're not going to use the vaseline, BLECH! laugh out loud
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Oct 13, '10 7:09pm PST 
Sorry, I didn't meant to call her Misty. I was actually talking at the same time to someone about their cat Misty and got confused when I wrote it! Then my post disappeared and well, my mind went a little plooey! laugh out loud
[notify]

Milky

Purred: Thu Oct 14, '10 6:32am PST 
LOL! Weird.. I had a hard time typing my cat's name on my cellphone (Motorola Cliq), but it tried to correct the name automatically- Misty every time.

I have never seen Farmer's Market before, but I will have to check organic section at a market, maybe Sprouts.

As for quality wet food, Milky loves Wellness, and is so nuts about chicken. I only buy them when they are on sale. That is one of the reasons I feed her fresh raw meals, because they are affordable. I'm glad Sprouts sell raw turkey with bone in it, which is good for Milky's teeth. When we rescued her, and were surprised she had a dirty teeth, including two broken canines.

Thanks for the links, and I will definitely read them. Maybe fish oil will also solve Milky's pimple problem!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Oct 14, '10 11:34am PST 
I sent you a pawmail Milky! big grin
[notify]

♥Kall- y- Kat♥

☆Diva- on- Demand☆

Purred: Thu Oct 14, '10 4:05pm PST 
MeOws Kats, kitty

I just started using this Natural Laxatone by Tomlyn Pet products.

I bought a tube at my local per store & didn't want Kally Kat to have any Petroleum oils in her tummy as it does upset her.

Oh, my Kats, by the time I turn around to cap the tube, her dish is squeaky clean, gone! shock

I give her this about twice a week, juss a litta bit. It really keeps her hairball coming outts da right end.... laugh out loud

I showed it to her VET & she said that's it's a much better product than the original Laxatone.

I also comb her twice a day, as she's long - haired cat.
She lubbs getting groomed, am I a lucky Momkatt. way to go

I hope this information will be of some help.

huggs,
Kally Kat

Laxatone Natural

Tomlyn Natural Laxatone Cat Hairball Eliminator

Regular use coats the swallowed hair and allows it to easily pass through the cat's intestinal tract
Great tasting
Petrolatum free for your cat's sensitive digestive system
All natural formula

Ingredients
Soybean oil, hydrolyzed vegetable oil, cod liver oil, flaxseed oil, chicken flavor, vitamin E, lecithin, soy protein, sorbitol, beeswax, maple flavor, methylcellulose, chamomile.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3