GO!

Wellness grain free Canned

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 6: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Wed Aug 18, '10 3:49am PST 
I feed Wellness Core Dry to Hunter. Hmmmm, hasnt really had a problem that I've noticed. However he only gets 1/4 cup a night. But I guess it only takes a little bit to start a problem. Good to know. I'll keep an eye out. Thanks Charlie!
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Wed Aug 18, '10 9:06am PST 
I found this on a website: (http://catfoodreviews.com/wellness-core-cat-food/)

Wellness Core dry cat food is great in concept. However, in reality it may be dangerous for some cats, perhaps due to the high phosphorus content. My male cat ate only Hill’s Nature’s Best dry food, no wet at all, for the first 8 plus years of his life. He was about 3 pounds overweight on this diet. About a year ago, I switched him to Wellness Core dry, Wellness canned, and eventually added Wellness Core canned. I was attracted to the high protein, low carb, 100% natural concept. He’s no longer overweight, but recently had 3 struvite bladder stones removed. I have no proof, but I suspect the Wellness Core dry food is the culprit. He never had any urinary problems while on Nature’s Best. And I don’t see how the canned food would cause bladder stones.

VA:F [1.9.3_1094]

Rating: 1 (from 3 votes)Rico De Felice Says:
January 28th, 2010 at 12:34 am
Just to follow up on my previous post, after my cat had his struvite bladder stones removed, I took him off dry food entirely and fed him only Wellness and Wellness Core canned, Chicken and Turkey varieties, for the next four weeks. He then had his urine tested and many crystals were found. His urine pH was an alkaline 7.5. Struvite crystals form in neutral to alkaline urine. I then switched him to Innova EVO Turkey and Chicken Cat and Kitten canned and three weeks later, his urine test was perfect. No crystals and a slightly acidic pH of 6.5. He will need continued monitoring but hopefully he is in the clear. Perhaps Wellness Core canned by itself would work just as well, but I’m not willing to take the risk.

Also this: (http://vetmedicine.about.com/b/2006/01/20/good-food-for-cat-with-st ruvite-crystals-2.htm)

Heather says:
It’s weird that I should come across your question, as it is the very exact question I was searching for an answer to just now! My cat Olive was also eating Wellness before, and suffers from struvite crystals in his urine. Two different vets have prescribed the Waltham and the Hills Science Diet foods for him. Animal nutrition is my passion, and I hope to become a nutritionist one day.

Amie says:
Mine and a friends cat have developed struvites while on Wellness Core. I’m currently alternating Solid Gold dry and Wysong’s Feline Uretic while she’s using Wysong’s Archetype. I have not had a recurrence in a year

Steph says:
My cat also developed large crystals while eating Wellness. He had surgery and now has been eating one of the prescription diets with no recurrence of crystals. The food is very irregular though and not consistent so I am looking for a better food that will not cause crystals to re-occur.

Karen says:
Very strange that many of you mention struvite crystals and Wellness food. My coon cat is 5 years old and has just developed struvite crystals. She was also on Wellness Healthy Weight and Wellness Indoor cat. She has just started with Hill’s C/D. I’m hoping this will help her.

Clairy says:
hmmmm, I too have a male cat that has been having issues due to Wellness food…not sounding good for that company

Megan says:
How Bizarre!I JUST got home from taking my 2 year old altered male cat to the emergency clinic for crystals.
He has been fed Wellness core DRY cat food since he was old enough to eat dry food

karma says:
my 3 year old male cat was just recently diagnosed with struvite crystals, after he blocked up twice in one month. he had been eating nothing but Wellness grain-free CANNED food his whole life. perhaps wellness is too rich for certain cats with inbred-stray genetics?

shockshockshockshockshockshockshockshockshock

I could go on and on... Anyone need any more evidence? I don't! No more dry food for Hunty! Plus, gonna speed up the rotation diet! way to go
(I'm so glad my mom likes to research! ~Hunty)

Edited by author Wed Aug 18, '10 9:18am PST

[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Wed Aug 18, '10 11:39am PST 
Zoey and I both eat the Wellness canned grain free - the turkey and the chicken. We love it. We have had no problems with it and Mommy has no complaints.

Mommy has been reading about the problems cats have been having with crystals and some of them were eating the Wellness CORE dry. First it is a dry food no matter if it is a healthier dry food. And it is a fish & fowl formula. Do you think it could also be too much fish for the cats causing problems? Not sure how much fish is in the food.
[notify]

Charlie- Chocolate- Paws

That\'s MINE!

Purred: Wed Aug 18, '10 3:13pm PST 
Zach, I was wondering about that, too. And you are definitely right, no matter what, it's a dry kibble and that's not good, especially for urinary health. But it does seem that there are a number of kitties having problems on the dry Core.

I opened a new bag of Wellness Core a week ago and I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with it. Charlie developed crystals and Leo, who sometimes eats a kibble or two as a treat, hasn't wanted any of this new bag. Even the outside stray kitty that I am feeding (until I get him into a resce) refused to even try it. Maybe there's something off with this bag or batch?

Shadow, sorry for hi-jacking your thread!
[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Wed Aug 18, '10 7:32pm PST 
Charlie, Zoey and I send you hugs and best wishes. Hoping you feel better soon and that Crystal never visits you again!

I hope that your Mommy contacts Wellness with her concerns as should any of those having any problems or questions. We want pet food companies to be aware of any possible problems.

Our Mommy sends hug to Charlie's Mommy too.
[notify]

Gumpy Sweet- Boy

Love wrapped in- fur

Purred: Wed Aug 18, '10 8:10pm PST 
One thing to be aware of is that most dry foods have urine acidifiers added to them - DL-methionine is the common one I have read about. These are added to dry foods because it has become known to pet food companies that cats eating dry food, especially grain-based dry food, will be more prone to urinary problems, crystals and high urine PH...It looks like Wellness Core doesn't contain DL- methionine. To compare, EVO grain-free does have DL-methioinine. So that could be part of the problem with Wellness Core -- but also just being dry food IS problematic (see catinfo.org for more info).

But, the thing is, these urine acidifiers added to dry food may help, but they are not without their own problems. Chronic over-acidification may create additional health problems down the road...But wet foods don't need urine acidifiers because *most* cats generally don't have these problems with crystals and high urine PH with wet food because high protein, meat-based wet food keeps the bladder flushed out and the urine will stay at more natural PH.
Quote Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins, "When a cat consumes a wet meat-based diet, the resulting urine has a natural acid Ph and is more dilute than the urine of dry-food-fed cats. These conditions do not allow the formation of crystals and stones, and eliminate inflamation."

And here's some info from Max's House Feline Nutrition about potential problems with urine acidifiers:

"...however, nearly all dry foods contain urine acidifiers, most commonly, dl-methionine. Chronic, overacidification leads to metabolic acidosis, demineralization of bone, calcium oxalate crystal formation and possibly renal damage. This may be a contributing factor in increase of incidence of calcium oxalate urolithiasis and high prevelence of chronic renal failure in middleaged cats." (Read more about this in detail at the end of the Max's House Feline Nutrition page).
And urinary foods are even more acidified, so long-term use isn't without potential problems ( also the fact that they are mostly all grains and by-products).

This is just some information I wanted to share when I looked at the Wellness Core ingredients. Sorry for the long post, I also like to research everything (inspired by my sweet little diabetic boy)!
All this is more reason to feed wet food. If your cat doesn't like wet food, be patient; cats are habitual and may take time to get used to an entirely different food... kitty Lots of purrs...

Edited by author Wed Aug 18, '10 8:27pm PST

[notify]

Sneakers, I- miss you

Got Milk?

Purred: Wed Aug 18, '10 9:14pm PST 
The only problem I have with it is my cat likes it TOO much. If she eats too much at one sitting (of any brand/type of food, not just Wellness) she throws up, but she loves the Wellness canned food so I have to be careful how much I give her because she'll finish the whole bowl.
That, and I have to be careful to make sure my other allergic kitty (Mr Grey) doesn't eat any.

Edited by author Wed Aug 18, '10 9:15pm PST

[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Wed Aug 18, '10 9:53pm PST 
applause

Gump, thank you for all the great information. Much appreciated.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Thu Aug 19, '10 4:31am PST 
Shadow wave

Hunter is refusing to eat his Wellness now. I'll be more than happy to write down the batch # for you, but where I find it? I don't buy the cases because he only likes certain flavors. Is all the info on the cans? I'm at work right now so I can't really check, but let me know and I'll write the one for his current can. Beef and Salmon is a no go! I don't understand why...shrug

Since that is what he eats mainly, I have to go out tonight to buy different kinds of cat food. Great! confused
[notify]

Tully

The Tullster

Purred: Thu Aug 19, '10 6:08am PST 
Very interesting comments about Wellness Core Dry. We eat a predominantly wet food diet and a small amount of Wellness Core Dry. None of us will eat Wellness in the can so we use other brands.

Charlie, I am very sorry to hear about your crystals. I'm purring for you to feel better. hug
[notify]

(Page 2 of 6: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6