GO!

Best food for a Bengal kitten

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Tobey

Purred: Fri May 21, '10 9:50pm PST 
My little 8 weeks old Bengal Tobey has been eating dry food suggested by the breeder but I would like to switch him to a better brand of dry food and also start him on wet food soon. Any suggestions for a good dry food and wet food brand that are mostly protein and don't have junk and fillers in them? Right now he is eating Iams kitten food, but I'm not too fond of Iams and would like to get him off of it.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Edited by author Fri May 21, '10 9:52pm PST

[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Fri May 21, '10 11:55pm PST 
Bengals are obligate carnivores too smile all cats have the same digestive systems. Im going to give you a few links to read ok. First link you should read is how pet food is made, then read the next one all about feline nutrition. We really have to educate ourselves on feline nutrition, we cannot rely on most vets for this.
How pet food is made
catinfo
The truth about dry cat food

Edited by author Fri May 21, '10 11:57pm PST

[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat May 22, '10 5:52am PST 
I just love reading Shadow's posts, so very informative, and in my opinion, the links you just put up, should be required reading, for all pet parents. applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause

Thank you for putting them up.

As far as the Bengal kitten, I agree, I would not feed him Iams, who, by the way, is owned by Menu, gee, where have we heard that name??? And Iams purposely fed their test animals, the tainted feed, on purpose, to see weather it really was or not, and they were oh so surprised when those kitties died. Its all in the first link Shadow put up. And another surprising fact about Iams, the food is processed under Menu foods, so think junk, but it is sold under Iams name, and all this is legal.

He should be on kitten food, until he is 7-8 months old. Kittens have very very sensative systems, so any food change should be done very gradually, over 14 days, to avoid tummy upset and/or diarea.

I feed Blue Wilderness, the blue one, chicken, its by Blue Buffalo. I don't even know if they make kitten food. My situation was kinda unusual, the breeder started the kittens on Purina Kitten Chow, and went to a show, and came home to 2 sick 12 week old kittens, because the pet sitter gave them adult food. Throwing up and diarea, and any attempt to get them off the kitten chow, resulted in the same. At 7 months, was not even half way into the switch over, and they got sick, my vet said put them back on the kitten chow. At 8 months, was more than halfway into the switch over, this time, she said keep going.

The others on here can recommend some great kitten foods for you. Best of luck with the new kitten, he is so cute!! big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Munchie

Was that the can- opener?

Purred: Sat May 22, '10 1:29pm PST 
Great posts as usual Shadow & Bumpurr....I would recommend reading the websites that Shadow posted, I feed my kitties Blue Buffalo/Wellness/Solid Gold canned food, I have one who can't eat canned food so she gets Blue Wilderness or Wellness Core dry. Cats do really well with canned food, or if you are up for it Raw is even better...I think Raw feeding is great I just don't have it in me to do it, so I give them the next best thing...high quality canned food.
[notify]

QGM- Harlequin- (Striped- Seven)

I am a show- champion!

Purred: Sat May 22, '10 2:18pm PST 
IMO the best dry food is Orijen.
[notify]

Rasha

On the Prowl....

Purred: Sat May 22, '10 8:18pm PST 
Best food for a cat..... RAW.

If you're not up to that, I like Taste of the Wild, EVO, Nature's Variety, CORE and Orijen.
[notify]

Tobey

Purred: Mon May 24, '10 2:17pm PST 
thanks so much for your help guys!
those articles about cat food are horribleshrug i've always known certain brands were bad but when you read about the process of even making the food it's shocking 0.0
[notify]