GO!

Best cheap pate' wet food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gomez

Purred: Fri Feb 26, '10 1:22am PST 
Hello, I am switching my kitties over to a 1/2 cheap wet food, 1/2 premium dry kibble diet. The 3 of them will be sharing 2 5.5 oz. cans (1 can for breakfast & 1 can for dinner) of wet and 1 cup of dry each day. I bought Friskies Pate' Poultry Platter and Blue Buffalo's Wilderness formula without consulting Catster first. Hope the Friskies was okay! No gluten but I'm not sure what else to look for. I've heard good things about the Buffalo Wilderness though.

We're on a budget so I was hoping this would be a good mix. I don't want to switch completely over to wet food because I want them to have something to nibble during the day. Plus, I think all wet would get kind of expensive with 3 cats.

Any suggestions? smile
[notify]

Angel Bella- Mae

Kitty Person!

Purred: Fri Feb 26, '10 7:02am PST 
If going with a more inexpensive food, from what I've gathered the 'best' ones to go with are those without gluten. I also avoid those with seafood flavors as well. I feed mainly Wellness Turkey grain-free formula, but do have some Fancy Feast pate style foods that are gluten-free; mainly I needed some to get Bella Mae to first eat the Wellness foods, and to sometimes mix in with other quality foods as well. It's mainly a 'backup' for me when she's going though a picky period. I know there is a post somewhere that lists some of the better kinds of 'cheap' canned foods.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Fri Feb 26, '10 9:19am PST 
Here is a llist of wet foods only that are cheaper that do not contain gluten,
note they are only certain flavours.
Whiskas Savory Ground pate - Chicken dinner, Mealtime, Bits 0 beef, Turkey and Giblets,( not Whiskas in gravy) The savory ground is vegetable and grain free.

9 Lives - Chicken dinner, Chicken and Tuna dinner, Turkey dinner, Chicken & Seafood dinner, Liver &Bacon Dinner, Prime grill with Beef.

Friskies- Supreme Supper, mixed grill, Country style dinner, Poultry platter, Turkey and Giblets dinner.

Pro Plan- Adult Chicken& liver entree, adult Turkey & Giblets entree

There is also a list of the Fancy feast flavours that are ok too and do not contain gluten, but we think they are pretty expensive,

Some good Wet food that is pricier is Wellness grain free, Evo cat and kitten,Evo 95% , Wellness Core,Weruva,Natures Variety,Felidae grain free, Merricks Before Grain.

If you can I would feed less of the cheap dry food and more of the canned
http://www.catinfo.org
[notify]

Gomez

Purred: Fri Feb 26, '10 12:02pm PST 
Thanks for those! Do any of them not have grains as well? I'm feeding a cheap canned food because wet is so expensive and a premium dry because I know dry food is bad enough as it is.
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Fri Feb 26, '10 3:55pm PST 
I feed Nightmare one of the flavors of Sophistact called Elegant Entree. He'll eat it and I can't/won't feed him dry.

The ingrediants: Elegant Entrée
Ingredients: Poultry By-Products, Turkey, Water Sufficient For Processing, Meat By-Products, Animal Liver, Fish, Guar Gum, Flaxseed Oil, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamin Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Carrageenan, Taurine, Natural Flavors.
[notify]

Sprinkles

NO I will NOT- shut up

Purred: Fri Feb 26, '10 8:14pm PST 
I'd say trader joes. It's $0.40-$0.60 per 5 ounce can. The only Friskies variety I know of with no grain is the classic pate mixed grill

Edited by author Fri Feb 26, '10 8:22pm PST

[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Tue Mar 2, '10 6:57pm PST 
We use Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry & Pro Plan chicken & liver pate. I got a case of 24 3oz cans for $22 at Petco. I am going to check to see if it is available to order online. It is grain free & about the only wet food Maizy will eat - the little fuss button that she is. I can tell you I noticed a HUGE difference in them when I switched from Halo to Wilderness. Maizy's coat is so shiny & glossy, and Tig is a lean mancat - they just look so healthy. I am very happy with that food.
[notify]

Chloe

Miss Clean

Purred: Fri Mar 5, '10 12:04pm PST 
I second trader joes brand, I feed both the regular and cat tuna and they love it, it has decent ingridients.
[notify]

Sassy- (2001-2012)

Gorgeous- Armageddon

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 10:40pm PST 
We like the Trader Joe's canned food as well and its only 59 cents a can and has good ingredients. If you live on the West Coast and there is one near you check it out.
[notify]

Sprinkles

NO I will NOT- shut up

Purred: Mon Mar 8, '10 2:15pm PST 
Oh and just to open up another small can of worms, if you guys have a
Whole Foods Market near you, Their 365 organic line has canned food
with no plant-based ingredients in sight when I scanned the ingredients. It's $14 for a pack of 24
5 oz cans.

Edited by author Mon Mar 8, '10 2:21pm PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2