GO!

Is cottage cheese ok for cats?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Sunshine

I am the- 'sunshine' of- your life.

Purred: Tue Sep 22, '09 7:30pm PST 
I sometimes mix a few spoonfuls of cottage cheese in with my dogs food. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to do the same with my kitty's food. Not everyday mind you but maybe twice a week & just a spoonful. Would it be a good idea or not?thinking
[notify]

Oscar-Teachi- ng Angels to- Love

With mom from- Oct '97 - Aug '09

Purred: Wed Sep 23, '09 7:44pm PST 
I don't know if it's GOOD, but when I was sick and getting picky about food, mom was reading all over the place trying to find things that I could eat, and cottage cheese was one of them. She offered me some, sometimes I ate some but usually I didn't.

So I don't think a little now and then would hurt.
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Wed Sep 23, '09 11:29pm PST 
Most kitties are lactose intolerant, so adding a lot of dairy to the food usually isn't recommended.

I doubt a tiny taste as a treat would cause a problem, but spoonfuls might be too much to process. silenced

Maynard

Keep the food- coming!

Purred: Mon Sep 28, '09 6:15pm PST 
While kitties might like cottage cheese I found it usually makes their poop stinky, or stinkier than usual. I also have had cats that could not tolerate ANY dairy, so be careful. If they start to vomit do not give them any more. My first kitty almost died from lactose intolerance. My step father insisted on giving her pet milk to help in her digestion. Of course she wound up with incessant vomitng & diarrhea.
[notify]

Sunshine

I am the- 'sunshine' of- your life.

Purred: Wed Sep 30, '09 10:15pm PST 
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll just forget about giving them cottage cheese.
[notify]