GO!

Soulistic Canned Cat Food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Aglaia

Fluffy butt

Purred: Fri Sep 4, '09 7:31pm PST 
So I was in Petco today buying a couple cases of canned Wellness and I noticed a new canned food called Soulistic. It seems that they only make grain free canned foods, I didn't see any dry food or cans not labled grain free. I bought a can of the chicken flavor "Grain Free Soulistic Good Karma Chicken Dinner in Gravy" but wanted to research some more before I let the kitties try it.

I tried to find a website but I just got links to the Petco website, I guess this is manufactured by Petco, possibly a replacement for their Pet Gold line? I asked the guy who worked there if he knew who manufactured the food or if he knew anything about it and he told me that they just got it in this week for the first time and that "Core" makes it. I asked him if he was referring to Wellness Core and he said "Yeah, I guess so." shrug

Edited by author Fri Sep 4, '09 7:32pm PST

[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Fri Sep 4, '09 11:25pm PST 
Hmmmthinking sounds interesting will have to look into this, thanks for the heads up.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Sep 5, '09 4:11am PST 
Call Petco Corp, they are in San Diego CA, and ask them. I have the number at work, if you need it.

If you ask an associate, and they don't have the anser, or act like your bothering them, ask for the manager. It is his/her job, to find you the anser.

When Petsmart gave me, a "run around" anser about why BW never seemed to be in stock anymore, I called Corp, they are in Phoenix AZ.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Aglaia

Fluffy butt

Purred: Sat Sep 5, '09 10:32am PST 
That's a good idea Bumpurr, I'll do that!
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sat Sep 5, '09 10:45am PST 
I just looked at the ingredients, they list water first this is not a good sign, then 2nd chicken and 3rd Tapioca, (that should never be in the first 3 ingredients) Why do they need to put so much starch in there?? because there is no grain filler. Oh well guess I will not be buying this food, but thanks for letting us know about it.applause
[notify]

Thomas

Ginger Tom

Purred: Mon Sep 7, '09 10:43am PST 
Just Say No to Kibble Krack . . . Love the motto! Big believer in canned food and high moisture!

Don't be too quick to judge the water as the first ingredient. The protein guarantee is the same as brands like Wellness so I do not think there is a dip in meat. It is probably due to processing methods as this is a "real" food in the can as opposed to loaf style.

I have tried the food, well my kitties have, and besides my kitties loving a few of the varieties, the formulas look to be boneless. Unless a formula says it has no bones, let it be known there are likely bones in there. Bones are part of the ingredient weight of the particular ingredient and help ingredients like chicken rise to the top of ingredient statements. Take out the bones, and the chicken may be too light to make it to the top. This is a tool manufacturers can use based upon AAFCO's vague ingredient definitions. In this case, chicken is defined as "flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone." I prefer to give my kitties chicken off the bone, and I like to know what they're getting. Can't get that with loaf.

Also, as for the tapioca, again, don't be quick to judge the high placement of this ingredient. There are no food ingredients after it, so it is the least. Take a look at the moisture content. It is in the 80% plus range which means there likely is not any excess starch or filler. If there was a ton of starch, that moisture content would go down. Most brands are at 78% moisture. The closest match to this food is Weruva, and when I contacted them, they told me their potato starch was at around 1%. They said it was for thickening only and not for nutrition. I imagine this similar here, especially given that the Soulistic is a bit more liquidy than Weruva. The chicken formula, besides the vitamins and minerals, is essentially only chicken and tapioca. If the tapioca is indeed around 1%, that means all the nutrition is coming from chicken, and that's a good thing.
[notify]

Aglaia

Fluffy butt

Purred: Mon Sep 7, '09 1:19pm PST 
Very good points Thomas.

It's not a food that I would use at the kitties main diet, but I think I would use it in rotation with their other canned foods. It seems more like Wellness Core because there are no vegetables in it like the normal Wellness Grain-free cans.

I still want to learn more about it and speak to the company before I let them try it.

I'll post my findings. smile
[notify]

Seba

Purred: Sun Sep 13, '09 4:23pm PST 
I tried this food the other day. My cats loved it - and they normally hate canned food. They really don't like the typical pate style canned cat food. I think that is why they really enjoyed this food. My cat Seba is allergic to grain so I often try new foods. My other cat Zim is overweight, so its a constant struggle to find something that is not only a good diet food but also grain free.

The thing that makes me a bit nervous about this food is the lack of reviews and experience other pets have had with it. Maybe I am just a paranoid review reader? Please let me know your thoughts and experiences with this food or if you can recommend an amazing food that is similar to this food.

Thanks!
[notify]

Taz

watch your- fingers, i'm- eating

Purred: Sun Sep 13, '09 4:28pm PST 
This was actually one of the first cans I tried out on Taz in my quest to switch her onto canned foods. Normally she loves shrimp but she was not really that interested in their Shrimply Divine flavor. She did eventually finish it off though which she wouldn't do with the Wellness, so I guess she didn't totally hate it. I probably won't get it again because I'm pretty sure I can find something she eats more willingly. I'm new to the whole wet food scene so I had no clue it was a relatively new brand, just looked at the ingredients and thought it seemed ok and wanted to see what Taz thought of it.
[notify]

♥Kall- y- Kat♥

☆Diva- on- Demand☆

Purred: Mon Sep 14, '09 12:57pm PST 
Hello Kat furriends,wave

Wow! this I gotta try. I called Wellness a couple months ago when I spoke to very nice lady named Beverly R. she was always sending me those wunnerful money saving coupons, which are no longer available unless you sign up with them for an electronic e mail newsletter which is a way you can print the coupons when abvailable at home & see what's new!

I was told that a company called Bearwind now owns Wellness & Old Mother Hubbard of Massachusetts.
She said a lot of new, but good changes as far as the quality of nutrition goes which is always so nice to hear. way to go

I will at least try a can first to see if my Kally Kat kitty will like it & I'll check out the label throughly.

Thank for sharing with us here! smile

Lubbs,
Kally Kat & Momkatt Liz kitty
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4