GO!

How much wet food does a cat need a day?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Kitty (miss- you you lil- rebel!

Purring Dictator

Purred: Sun Aug 30, '09 1:56pm PST 
My local grocery store has Fancy Feast really affordable-only 50 cents. The other store charges 56 cents. Would only one can feed a cat a day, or do they need 3 (I think the can says one can per 3 pounds of body weight).
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sun Aug 30, '09 2:18pm PST 
Cans and Bags of food are always overstated. You want to go by how many calories.
Take the weight of cat x that by 13.6 and add 70 this will give you calorie intake for the day.
Fancy Feast can be expensive, here are the good flavours of fancy feast that do not contain gluten.
Fancy Feast Gourmet Feast - Gourmet Chicken feast, Gourmet Turkey &giblets feast, Tender Beef feast, Tender beef & Liver feast, Savory Salmon feast, Tender Chicken & liver feast, Beef & Chicken feast, Chopped Grill Feast.
[notify]

Alaska

I ordered snow,- where is it?!?!?

Purred: Sun Aug 30, '09 2:36pm PST 
I think that most of the cans of fancy feast have an average of 100 calories each. email the company though because they can tell you how much is in each variety.
[notify]

Nadia

Lick, lick. I- love to lick...

Purred: Sun Aug 30, '09 6:14pm PST 
A general guideline is that cats need about 4 - 6 ounces per day. I have also heard 4 - 8 ounces per day. Yes, the info on the cans usually is overstated -- the one ounce per pound of body weight that I have seen is usually too much for most cats (unless they're smallies like little Nadi or smaller).

You would probably need about two cans of the 3 ounce cans of Fancy Feast per day.

There is a lot of good nutrition and feeding info and www.catinfo.org (Dr. Lisa Pierson's site)
[notify]

Lisa Lee

Love Me

Purred: Sun Aug 30, '09 9:16pm PST 
thank you! ive been trying to figgure it out as well - my cats about 6 lbs - and i feed her one 3 oz can a day - but she nibbles on a few mouthfuls of dry through the day as well - and always seems to be yenning for more and i wasnt sure how much to be feeding her of the wet as ive never fed my cats wet before......
[notify]

♥- Nina- ♥- rehomed

Jellybean the- queen <3

Purred: Tue Sep 1, '09 1:36pm PST 
Jellybean gets 2 spoonfulls every night and that's it. Make sure you don't give her too much because wet food is very filling, and she won't want her kibble.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Tue Sep 1, '09 1:59pm PST 
Actually most vets now are realizing that Wet food is better for our cats. More wet food the better, less kibble.
Here is just one of many articles on dry food.
DRY FOOD
[notify]