GO!

egg yolks...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Panda

the luckiest cat- in town

Purred: Sat Aug 15, '09 1:27pm PST 
i was eating a hard boiled egg and gave panda a tiny bit of the yolk and she went crazy and wants more. im trying to find out online if they're okay for cats but some say yes and some say no...
she doesn't like cat treats so i'm trying to find something that i can give her as a treat. she really likes human food and i can't afford to feed her raw. i'm also a vegetarian so giving raw meat kind of grosses me out.
what is a good treat for cats and how often should i give it to them? smile
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sat Aug 15, '09 1:34pm PST 
This is from a site called messybeast.com
Raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin and excessive amounts of raw egg white could cause a biotin (B vitamin) deficiency resulting in skin and hair problems. This data came from laboratory rats that were fed abnormally large amounts of raw egg white proportional to their bodyweight. It is unlikely cats would consume dangerous quantities of avidin unless you fed them raw eggs at every meal.

In practice, wild cats will include eggs in their diet. As long as the cat has a varied diet and sources of biotin and is not fed excessive amounts, an occasional raw egg will do no harm. Raw egg yolk has long been considered a tonic.

The quality of eggs is variable and eggs may be a potential salmonella risk. If you're worried about feeding occasional eggs, it can be lightly scrambled. I have fed whisked raw egg (sometimes whisked with goat's milk) as a treat two or three times a month with no ill-effect
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Sat Aug 15, '09 1:59pm PST 
Amber gets raw egg yolk at least once a week. I don't bother with the whites, mostly because she won't eat them anyway. laugh out loud
[notify]

Miss Mittens- - Angel DG #14

Angel Diva

Purred: Sat Aug 15, '09 2:01pm PST 
Panda, egg yolks are perfectly safe for you to eat but the yolk should be fed raw or the egg soft boiled for about a minute. When feeding raw eggs, fed eggs only from an organic, cage-free chicken. smile
[notify]

Panda

the luckiest cat- in town

Purred: Sat Aug 15, '09 2:16pm PST 
organic cage free is the only kind i buy smile
is it bad if they are hard boiled then?
[notify]

♥Kall- y- Kat♥

☆Diva- on- Demand☆

Purred: Sat Aug 15, '09 4:58pm PST 
Hi Mittens "PAWS" & Panda wave

I'd like to know too! I give Kally Kat a litta of my cooked scrambled eggs on Sunday. Just a bit, she lubbs dem, so is that okay too?

I to, use free range cage free eggs. way to go

Kally Kat's Mom Liz
[notify]

Benett

Leading- Kittykind to- Freedom

Purred: Sat Aug 15, '09 5:15pm PST 
I feed my cats one raw egg yolk a week. They have Vitamin A and K in them. Haven't ever had a problem or read of a cat getting sick off of them. If your kitty can down them with no problem, it's a good addition to their diet. (:

I am also a vegetarian, so I was hesitant to do a RAW diet at first because I didn't want to touch the meat. In fact, I made my ex do all the cutting and meat-handling! I got over it after a while, but if you're very squeamish, you can buy pre-cut meat or ground beef, for example, (which isn't very expensive) where the most you have to do is spoon it out into the bowl.

Edited by author Sat Aug 15, '09 5:18pm PST

[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Sat Aug 15, '09 6:32pm PST 
cooked yolk won't hurt them, don't worry. Raw just has more nutrients, but I imagine it would be difficult to use as a training treat. laugh out loud
[notify]

Daphne

Dainty Daphne

Purred: Sun Aug 16, '09 12:18pm PST 
My meowmy lets me lick the yolk when she is done with her eggs. She makes them over easy and always leaves me a little on her plate. I love it and have had no problems with it.
[notify]

Emily

**SPLORT!!**

Purred: Mon Aug 17, '09 12:14pm PST 
Raw egg yolks and cooked egg whites are a part of the recipe that I use for my cats' food. Anne from catnutrition.org wrote the recipe and it's wonderful. I never have any problems from the eggs. So I would imagine if your cat likes eggs, it's perfectly fine to use them as a treat, just not raw egg white.

I'm a vegetarian too (I wrote an entry about this in Emily's Catster diary a couple weeks ago), and I'm all majorly icked-out by raw meat. My cats get a partially cooked diet (roasted whole chicken pulled off the bone, raw egg yolk, raw chicken liver, with some supplements including food-grade bone meal for calcium). I can't feed them a completely raw diet right now because it makes me squeamish, but I'm working up to it. I'm in the process of looking for reasonably priced organic free-range chicken for their food. As a vegetarian, I don't want to support factory farms, but I also want to do what's best for my cats. It's kind of a dilemma.

Sorry to get off topic...um...eggs are fine. I get this way when I talk to other vegetarians about cat food, please bear with me red face
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2