GO!

Is cooked shrimp good for my cat?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Mr. Tigger

Mr. Tigger

Purred: Fri Jul 10, '09 2:26pm PST 
I have a young cat that loves cooked shrimp from the deli. I looked at the label and it said soaked in "salt water". I am thinking this is not good for her kidneys. So for now, she does not get her daily shrimp.

Can anyone confirm this? If I re-rinse the shrimp, will it get rid of the salt?

Meow,
Jana
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Fri Jul 10, '09 7:36pm PST 
This is Delyte. I mostly get the shrimp from the frozen pack thawed out. I think they use salt water on those too, to keep them from sticking together when freezing. But they are my favorite food of all, and I always get one whenever they have them. I guess it would be bad to eat them for regular meals but once in a while is okay? I hope!thinking
[notify]

Calypso

Purred: Fri Jul 10, '09 9:13pm PST 
The thing about shrimp is that it is extremely fatty. I used to give Calypso shrimp that was soaked then cooked on a regular basis when she was a kitten. She really enjoyed it and I liked how happy and hyper she would get when she even smelled shrimp.

Sadly, I can confidently say that eating shrimp on a regular basis contributed to her weight gain. She's also genetically prone to being overweight but I really should have known better.

I would suggest giving no more than 1-2 whole shrimp (peeled of course) a week as a treat. I know that Calypso's favorite way of eating shrimp was having a couple of cooked shrimp shredded for her and mixed in with her wet food.
[notify]

Mr. Tigger

Mr. Tigger

Purred: Sat Jul 11, '09 6:45am PST 
Thanks for the info. I was more worried about the salt affecting her kidneys than weight gain. She is just one year old. I have cut her off for now, but the pitiful look on her face gets to me.

Meow,
Mr. Tigger's Mom
Jana
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Sat Jul 11, '09 11:03am PST 
If its salt you are worried about, soak in water for a while and rinse really well. It won't get rid of all the salt but it should help.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Sat Jul 11, '09 12:10pm PST 
This is Delyte. The fat content won't bother me because they are still fighting to keep my weight up. I never was too heavy and got way too skinny with the hyperthyroidism. But I am not supposed to have too much seafood because of my kidneys ...
[notify]