GO!

Affordable good quality food for Maine Coon

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Spenser

Purred: Mon Feb 9, '09 4:54pm PST 
Hi there. I have two Maine Coons who are eating me out of house and home. I feed them Royal Canin Maine Coon. It is costing me quite a bit of money. I'd like to change to something cheaper and more convenient (they stopped making 15 pound bags, so I am buying food all the time).

Does anyone have any recommendations?
[notify]

Oliver

Give me food and- no one gets- hurt!

Purred: Mon Feb 9, '09 5:17pm PST 
Natural Balance Ultra Premium is a good food and from what I have gathered from my research the cheapest quality food that I could find where I am anyways.
Felidae is another food that has gone up in price but still is a good buy for what it is. California Naturals and Chicken Soup are others I can think of. Blue Wilderness is also another reasonable quality food that I know of. A small list to look into anyways hope this helps a little.
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Tue Feb 10, '09 9:23am PST 
Taste of the Wild is also a good one, and pretty comparable in price especially if you get a larger bag (it's also grain free!). Do maine coon's have special dietary needs?? shrug
[notify]

Sneakers

Meow for Obama!

Purred: Wed Feb 11, '09 7:25pm PST 
Sneakers is part MC.

They are prone to hip problems, so there are certain blends to help with that in adding certain nutrients.

I feed KatzenFlocken. Sneaker is prone to bouts of IBS, and he's done great on it. His coat looks good. If you're concerned about joint problems, Solid Gold (who makes KtzF) has a wide range of supplements.

That'd be my suggestion. Look for the major nutrient differences in the brands and try to make it up with supplements and see if that is cheaper.
[notify]

Matilda

Leave me alone.

Purred: Thu Feb 12, '09 8:43am PST 
Taste of the Wild and Natural Balance are what I would recommend. They might be higher in calories than the current food, so you don't feed as much.
[notify]

Adonis

wooly bully

Purred: Thu Feb 12, '09 10:14am PST 
Adonis is half MC and he's been doing great on Natural Balance. And while it's quite a bit more expensive, EVO is a great food. I was able to keep both Adonis and Calypso fed for close to 3 months with a 15 lb bag so the extra expense might be worth it. And while Solid Gold makes decent foods, from my experiences with SG cat foods, I wouldn't feed them for more than 2 months at a time. My poor Adonis actually started losing weight because the food wasn't agreeing with him. He's just now getting back to a healthy weight with NB and it's been 2 months since he last touched SG.

I'm sure that you'll be going through a lot less food once you switch from Royal Canin. I've actually made it a point to refuse even free samples of RC from my vet based on the ingredient list. If I don't know exactly what animal the protein comes from or even if there's animal protein in the food at all, I'm looking for something else. There is no need for breed specific foods. When I was feeding everyone kibble (everyone except for Adonis is eating raw now) Adonis was actually the only one who would chew his food... If I remember correctly, RC's reasoning for the MC specific food is to make the cats chew more by giving them a larger x shaped kibble... Just goes to show how far these companies will go to make a few more bucks.
[notify]

♥- Blue- ♥

Bluesy has left- the- building..for- now.

Purred: Thu Feb 12, '09 8:10pm PST 
Hi,
We all love Royal Canin Oral Sensitive 30, we used to eat RC Siamese 38, but D'Arcy who was born with oral problems often would scarf and barf and it got to be pretty regular thing. Since we switched he no longer throws up. We also get some L-Lysine sprinkled on our food and some Dental Fresh in our water to help with plaque. We eat a tin of wet food everyday and really like the Proplan stuff with rice and gravy.

Many of foods we find a little too rich, but we do have Eagle Pack when Mom can find it and that stuff is really good and holistic. Our older sister now at the bridge, Maggie May was a purbred Maine Coon, she wasn't too crazy about the Maine Coon Royal Canin and we found that us Siamese would sneak it and get a little chubby. That's not your problem though. The RC breed specifics are more expensive, why not try their Indoor Cat one or Beauty one?
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Fri Feb 13, '09 7:49am PST 
Food is always a big topic on Catster. I have nine Maine Coons at the moment (three permanent ones, and six kittens looking for homes), and from what I've heard from my breeder/cat show friends is divided: some feed Royal Canin Maine Coon, but most don't. Mind you, we live in Japan where there aren't so many food choices. Harvey has had some gum problems, and so I've been seeing a woman who is probably the best (read: only) animal dentist in Japan, and she just laughed about Royal Canin's claim that the unique shape of the kibbles suits the unusual shape of Maine Coon teeth. Hey, she's the tooth expert; I'd tend to believe her.

More than that, though, I think that whatever you choose to feed your cat, you'll know when the food is agreeing with them, and when it isn't. I don't think it's necessarily breed specific. Harvey's sister Chibi thrives on anything she eats--beautiful fur, great energy, good weight for a female Maine Coon--but Harvey has some digestive issues that will be looked at as soon as possible at a top veterinary school, but which, honestly speaking, I don't think would be influenced by feeding Royal Canin Maine Coon (which I have tried, by the way). He does best on--gasp!--Science Diet Hairball Control, not because he has hairballs, but because the extra fiber in the kibble firms up his bowel movements.

Cat food is a topic that no one seems to agree on, but I'd say that most people realize that many cats seem to thrive on diets that other cats can't tolerate.
[notify]

Murphy

"Yonda lies the- kingdom of my- faddah."

Purred: Tue Mar 3, '09 6:22am PST 
Hi Spencer -
I'm so glad I'm not alone here! I just found out this past week that Royal Canin no longer makes the 15 lb bag. After researching the prices of the next largest bag, the 6lb bag, I'm afraid I'll have to switch to a different brand of high quality food, which I don't want to do. I did call Royal Canin, and the lady I spoke with was very kind and she took my name to pass along my concern to her superiors. I will probably switch to Wysong's Vitality - which was the food I had switched from. But it doesn't contain glucosamine & chondroitin, so I'll continue to supplement with SeaFlex - Sea Cucumber Supplement for cats, which he really really loves, and you can find online. In the meantime, I hope the more we consumers beg for our more affordable product back, Royal Canin listens. Cheers
[notify]

Aglaia

Fluffy butt

Purred: Tue Mar 3, '09 7:29am PST 
I think the best and most readily available dry food out there is Wellness Core. You can find it at Petco, but it can get a little pricey. Taste of the Wild is a great (grain free!) food that is inexpensive, but it's sometimes hard to find.

Do you have any pet boutiques or small pet supply stores around your area? Petsmart/Petco don't sell Taste of the Wild or Felidae which would be the second best priced food I can think of.

Since I know you're looking for big bags, I don't know about prices at other stores but at the pet boutique I work for a 15 lb. bag of Felidae All Life Stages Dry Food is $26.99, compared to a 15 lb. bag of Royal Canin Indoor 15 lb. which is $38.99. So really, these foods are much less than the Royal Canin and in my opinion they have much better ingredients (no corn or by products).

Also, if you do know of a store that carries Taste of the Wild, but not in the big bags, most pet supply stores are more than willing to special order you a big bag which does save money in the long run.

Good luck. I hope you find something good for your kitties and good for your wallet. laugh out loud

Edited by author Tue Mar 3, '09 7:30am PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2