GO!

Food for cat who had urinary track blockage?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Timo Katze - DB #105

Take it easy

Purred: Sun Feb 1, '09 9:44am PST 
Dear Furriends. I need some advice about food. Right now I am eating Hill’s c/d Prescription wet food. That is because I had two urinary track blockages. frown

Let me start at the beginning. I came to live here in Sept. 2006 and my human fed me Nutro Natural Choice kibbles, the indoor or Ocean Fish. Once in a while I would eat a little bit of Purrina wet food (my cat-sister was eating that) but I really liked the kibbles best. When I arrived here, I weigh 11.4 pounds. A year later my weight was up to 16 pounds! shock
In December 2007 I had a urinary track blockage. It was really bad and my human got me to the vet just in the nick of time I think. So after that the vet put me on Hill’s w/d dry food. They told me my choices where either the c/d or the w/d and since I am overweight I should get the w/d. I was under the impression that w/d is especially for cats with urinary track issues but when I look at Hills website I think it is just a food for weight control.

Things were going O.K – I lost a bit of weight – until in April 2008 when I had my second urinary track blockage. This time my human knew the signs right away and got me to the vet really fast. This one wasn’t as bad and my recovery was much faster. What caused this second episode? The w/d kibble? Or, about a week before this happened my human bought some all natural healthy canned cat food for us. I don’t remember the brand but we didn’t particular like it but we ate some of it. One of the cans had whole fishes in it in oil. My sister and I shared a can and ate the whole can of fish for one meal. I heard fish is not all that good for cats.

Anyway after the second blockage I just kept eating my w/d kibble. And because my human was afraid that I would steal regular cat food from my sister (she ate purrina) and get sick again, my sister got the Hill’s c/d wet food (she likes wet much better then kibble). The vet said it’s OK for her to eat that even thou she is not sick.

Last December I started having problems with being constipated. I just couldn’t go and when I tried I would growl like a dog because it hurt. I kept going to the box with no success and I started meowing so loud that my human took me to the vet twice. (She was afraid it might be another blockage, but it was not). I got stool softener (Lactulose). After my bout with constipation my vet suggested I eat the Royal Canine kibble (the one for urinary issues). My human gave some of that to me but she really doesn’t want me eating dry food anymore, it dehydrates me. It also comes in a wet food but I don’t like it. So now I am eating Hill’s c/d wet food, my human got me all the way off the kibble. I still don’t think this food is the best for me. My sister and I don’t like it much. We eat some because we are hungry and then we start pawing around the bowl, trying to bury it. My human says she would not eat this food herself, it looks and smells bad.

My question:
Are there other cats here with urinary issues? What do you eat? I would like to find a good food but I don’t want to eat the wrong thing and get another blockage (that hurts so much). frown
Thank you for any advice you can offer and sorry that this got to be so long. smile
[notify]

Stella

Everyone visits- to see me and- only me!

Purred: Sun Feb 1, '09 10:12am PST 
Everything I have read about urinary blockage says you should be on strictly wet food diet. Cats normally dont drink enough water so wet food gives them the extra moisture they need. Because they dont drink enough water that is what causes all the problems. Cats also need meat they are obligate carnivores so all the extra grains and what have you just is not the greatest for your cat and also what makes them gain weight and have trouble losing it as well. IF I were you Id try wellness canned cat food. Its one of the best out there heres the chicken one
Chicken, Chicken Liver, Turkey, Chicken Broth, Carrots, Natural Chicken Flavor, Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Zucchini, Cranberries, Blueberries, Guar Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Iron Proteinate (a source of Chelated Iron), Beta-Carotene, Zinc Proteinate (a source of Chelated Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Proteinate (a source of Chelated Cobalt), Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate (a source of Chelated Copper), Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate (a source of Chelated Manganese), Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.
heres what your feeding now the c/d
Pork By-Products, Water, Pork Liver, Chicken, Rice, Corn Starch, Oat Fiber, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Fish Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Calcium Sulfate, Guar Gum, Fish Oil, Brewers Dried Yeast, Glucose, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Cysteine, Calcium Carbonate, Dried Egg Yolk, Glycine, Vitamin E Supplement, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate.

You can tell wellness looks alot yummier just by the ingredients.
Also try reading www.catinfo.org for a whole lot of cat info.
Hope this helps and you start feeling better soon!
wishes
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sun Feb 1, '09 10:20am PST 
Hi Timo, we are glad to hear that you are on wet food. The RC wet food is not too bad, its better than the hills kind anyway.
Basically you cannot feed dry food to your cat again, your cat will have to be on wet food for life.
My Shadow had crystals really bad in her urine 2 years ago, then I have been researching and educating myself on feline nutrition. Both my cats have been on wet food for 2 yrs and have lost some weight and Shadow does not have crystals anymore.
If your cat does not have the blockage anymore, you could try some food that is grain free and low in carbs, as these things do cause urine ph to rise. You could try any of the Wellness grain free wet foods, or Evo wet foods. Here is a site that talks about
Urinary health.
http://felineoutreach.org/EducationDetail.asp?cat=Cystitis
[notify]

Timo Katze - DB #105

Take it easy

Purred: Sun Feb 1, '09 12:03pm PST 
Thank you Shadow and Stella for your comments. The websites you suggested are pretty good. I was afraid if I don't give him the prescription food he will get sick again. Is there anything I need to look out for when buying wet food? Like low magnesium and phosphorus?
Too bad that the veterinarys are not better informed. They suggested dry food for a cat with this problem. But I want to point out that I know that my vet loves my cat. He even came to the office on a Sunday once for me. I think they just don't know enough.
Off to buy good food. Purr to you later.
[notify]

Bandit

Talk to Me

Purred: Sun Feb 1, '09 12:43pm PST 
Hi Timo,
Yes Shadow and Stella gave you excellent advice. If you eat a good quality canned food that should help prevent you from getting more blockages. You can even add an extra spoonful of warm water to your wet food to make it extra moist and every bit of extra moisture helps keep you hydrated and prevent crystals from forming.

The so called "Prescription" foods don not contain any magical or medical ingredients. In fact as you know, the ingredients aren't that great.

It is sad that vets will "prescribe" a food without really thinking about what is best for your cat. Until more patients start speaking up about the poor quality of the foods that most vets recommend and start doing more research on the nutritional needs of felines so they can discuss it with the vet, they will probably continue to recommend those foods because it is a profit for them.

We eat the grain free varieties of Wellness canned food here and we have never been happier or healthier!

Good Luck to you my furriend. Let us know how you're doing.

wishes
[notify]

Arthur

Purred: Sun Feb 1, '09 7:11pm PST 
You might also try the Wellness Healthy Indulgences pouches. They have a gravy with little chunks of meat as opposed to the regular canned food, which is more of a pate. Molly and I love them! Mika's not allowed to have them though, because she has kidney problems.

Do you have a holistic vet near you at all? A holistic vet might be able to suggest some supplements that might help (in conjunction with your regular vet's advice, of course).
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sun Feb 1, '09 8:02pm PST 
The magnesium and phosphorous levels are fine in the Wellness varieties. So I wouldnt worry about that. Most importantly is that you get fed an all wet diet way to go
[notify]

Timo Katze - DB #105

Take it easy

Purred: Mon Feb 2, '09 10:02am PST 
Shadow: no, he doesn't have a blockage right now.
Bandit and Arthur: thanks for your comments. They are really helpful.
I bought some Wellness yesterday and my other cat Mietzi likes it. This is funny: I had Wellness in Mietzi's bowl and I had put the open can of the c/d food next to it because I was going to mix some food for Timo. Mietzi sniffed at both and then started eating the Wellness. The cat has good taste.
Timo does not eat Wellness by itself so I mixed some into his c/d. He eats some of the mixture but knows something is not right. I know it takes patience to switch him to a different food.
Arthur, I think I will get a pouch of healthy indulgence and see if that does the trick. Might also buy some other kinds of "good" cat food and see if he likes them.
[notify]

♥ Kit- Kat ♥

I am a good- kitty........- I'm just bad

Purred: Fri Mar 6, '09 4:48am PST 
Meow...Hi Timo. I too have had problems with blockages. The end of last year, I had a complete blockage and several partial blockages after. I ended up having the PU surgery. What was amazing was that after all of that, the vet wanted to put me on an all dry prescription food diet??? From what my mommy has read, ideally an all canned food diet [formulated for cat's with urinary blockages], low in mag. and ash, with a meat listed as the first ingredient is the best! If you can add extra water to it...even better.

Unfortunately, I had the same problem as you w/ constipation. Mommy tried giving me all wet food, but, as a result, I just couldn't do #2 easily or sometimes at all. She solved the problem by mixing a tabelsp. of dry in my wet food daily. She discovered that there was no fiber in my wet food only the dry. She adds a lot of extra water to my food to counteract any dehydration that the little bit of dry food may cause. In general, she always adds a lot of distilled water to my food so that my urine will be more dilute and I will urinate more often [more urination means less urine sitting in the bladder...less time for crystals to form]. She uses distilled water because it lacks any extra added minerals like mag. and ash [high levels of this is what we want to avoid). Every 2-3 days, she also mixes 1/4 of a teasp. of unsalted butter in with my food. Supposedly, this helps to lubricate my digestive tract to make #2 easier and also help with furballs. So far it has helped me. She also has a product called Laxatone on hand also. It serves a similar purpose as the butter, but it is formulated especially for cats if you're not comfortable with the butter idea.

Edited by author Fri Mar 6, '09 4:55am PST

[notify]