GO!

How to fatten up a cat?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sun May 18, '08 3:29am PST 
I'm been switching to a mostly wet diet, which the cats are exceedingly happy with. I had heard that cats can lose weight with canned diets, as there is more protein and less of those carbohydrate fillers. Well, Spot lost 1.4 kilos, and has stopped looking like a balloon about to pop. But my Maine Coon show kitty Harvey has lost 1.5 kilos in less than a month. He's a healthy weight, but since he's in a kind of sport like American football or sumo that requires BULK, being slim and trim is not a plus in the judging rings. Obviously, I don't want to compromise my cat's health, nor make him obese, but on the other hand, I would like to get him back to his weight of 7.5 kilos, which gave him a certain Maine Coon gravitas. I realize that this is an unusual question (most people want to put their cats on diets, if anything), but does anyone have any ideas about how to bulk him up? (No steroids, please!) BTW, I'm pretty sure he's not sick, as he was seen by the vet a month ago and received a clean bill of health, and his appetite is good--it's just that he's not a "chowhound" like Spot. He gets angry when I don't give him what he wants (wet food) and rips out my hair while I'm sleeping, but when I serve it, he eats only a civilized amount before turning away from the bowl. Any suggestions?
shrug
[notify]

Mooch

The Tiny 4- Parade!

Purred: Sun May 18, '08 5:12am PST 
Hiya, Harvey,

Shadow gave you an answer about your weight and eating canned in my Wet Food --URGH! thread, just in case you didn't see it!

kitty
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sun May 18, '08 1:40pm PST 
Thanks, Mooch, I posted my response there.
wave
[notify]