GO!

Help! My cat is hopelessly addicted to Fancy Feast!!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Danny

All you need is- love (and food!)

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 7:23pm PST 
Hello all

My cat Danny has become totally addicted to Fancy Feast, which I gave him one day when I ran out of Wellness (which he never really loved) He used to be less finicky, but It has somehow gotten worse and worse. I have tried dozens of brands - Wellness, Triumph, Iannova, Iams, Tiki Cat, etc etc...but he resists them all and cries and cries and sulks and acts naughty...letting the food I put down get hard and unedible. Honestly, it's like a person addicted to drugs. He is young (3 yrs) and I don't want him eating nothing but Fancy Feast for the rest of his life.

Any advice on what I can do??? Pleeeease!
[notify]

Cocoa (Our- Angel Cat)

Couch Potato

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 8:12pm PST 
Hi Danny,
Well I guess there's worse things you could be addicted to, MOL.
I know some cats that live on Fancy Feast and they're doing quite well.
There are some flavors that are supposed to be better than others because they are wheat gluten free.
Here is a link to the list of flavors: Fancy Feast

Have you tried mixing a little of some of the other foods in with his Fancy Feast to see if he'll notice? I know some cats are too smart to fall for that trick though laugh out loud

But really, if he's eating the FF and doing good, it can't be all bad. Maybe someday he'll decide he wants to try something else.
[notify]

Sherlock

Me, Me, Me, Me

Purred: Sat May 10, '08 6:48am PST 
My Meowmy's very first cat ate fancy Feast as long as Meowmy had her. She lived to be almost 14 years old!! So Fancy Feast isn't that bad.wink
[notify]

Armand

I'm a DIABETIC- momma's boy

Purred: Sat May 10, '08 7:46am PST 
All four of my cats eat fancy feast and they could eat much worse! I supplement fancy feast with high protein high quality dry food which they snack on during the day.

I would try other brands, but if your cats don't like them, then I myself stopped wasting money on food that my cats "told me"...."eat it yourself!"...I was just throwing most of the other wet foods away.

My cats didn't care about "starving cats in Africa" either.
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Sat May 10, '08 10:15am PST 
I'd go with Cocoa's suggestion, just to see if that helps.

Have you tried Merrick's yet? I'm very finicky with cat food, but so far it has been a big hit in my book.
[notify]

♥Mor- gan The- PirateGato

You Gotta Love- Me, I'm a Pirate

Purred: Sat May 10, '08 10:59am PST 
I only eat Fancy Feast and I am a rare Diabetic Kitten. Fancy Feast is very healthy and the only food the Doc feeds at the Clinic.

It was also one of the few that had no recalls - DelMonte makes it in their own factorys - and have high quality control.

Mom tried a few other things that I can eat - and I hissed at them all.
[notify]

Leaf

Must kick and- shred!

Purred: Sat May 10, '08 11:45am PST 
I agree with Boris. I am super picky but I love Merricks! My favorites are Turducken and Grammy's Pot Pie!

I would also try mixing the old with the new.

Good luck!
[notify]

Vincent

Purred: Sun Oct 27, '13 7:18am PST 
Hi. My name is Vincent and I am a feast addict. It's been 3 hours since my last can, and I am already starting to sweat. My parents don't know about my addiction yet, but I get very loud and ornery in the mornings when they are trying to sleep. I try to get my first can by 7 AM every day. I need help. Does anyone know if there are any programs to help a cat like me?
[notify]

Cali

The Most- Beautiful Girl- In The World

Purred: Sun Oct 27, '13 8:14am PST 
I wouldn't worry about this too much. Our 17 year old angel Happy would eat only FF and only one variety but it kept him alive for the 2 years we had him after we adopted him from a shelter at 15. He was a very ill kitty for those 2 years and we were grateful that we found a food he would actually eat.
Oh sure I tried all the "good" brands when we first brought him home but it was soon clear this boy would rather starve than eat them. The last straw came for me when I tried to get him to eat a brand called Avoderm, I recall hubby saying "Hey it looks like there are carrots in this food" Well my poor boy tried it and puked up all over the floor. So if it was FF that he wanted then by god that is what he would get.
Also had another boy years ago with diabetes and he ate FF before every shot.
As for the Merrick, my Cali threw it up immediately as well as Halo Spot Stew.
I finally found Wellness Cubed and Minced chicken & turkey and was able to get her off the kibble completely. She has HCM and is on medicine. I know that she may leave us at anytime with this disease so if this is the food she likes and it makes her happy I am not going to force her onto something she doesnt like. JMHO
[notify]

Mabel

Purred: Mon Oct 28, '13 6:28am PST 
Hiya Danny!

My name is Mabel, and I'm an addict.

Although not to Fancy Feast - my uncontrollable cravings are for Best Feline Friend (BFF). I also turned my nose up at Tiki Cat, Wellness, and Merrick. My mom thinks it's the tuna that is in every flavor that has me hooked.

My mom tried mixing different types of brands to gradually wean me off of one and onto the other. Maybe that could work?
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2