GO!

Grocery store cat food-which is the best?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
JJ

Sweetest kitty- around...

Purred: Mon Jan 21, '08 5:23pm PST 
Ok, I searched quite a few pages on here before posting this and I know many ppls opinions on grocery store bought cat food, but I have 4 cats and a new baby on the way and I need to switch to a cheaper dry food. I have one persian and one exotic, (along with two domestic longhairs) so I am looking for one food for all of them. The main thing is my persian and exotic have small mouths, so I need small kibble.

I currently am trying Purina One and 3 of the 4 will eat it, but one won't. Any other ideas?
[notify]

Oreo

Make it look- like the dog did- it

Purred: Mon Jan 21, '08 5:46pm PST 
I understand that you need cheap food so I will recomend maybe,friskies,fancy feast,9 lives most kitties won't eat it idk about yours.Of all the grocery store brands I'll say The Goodlife Recipie is the best,and yummy! If you can feed your kitties some wet food once in a while that'll be great for them becouse a cat will never get enough water when eating kibble even if your cat drinks alot of water. For wet food maybe whiskas,Fancy Feast,Friskies and Sheba.
Iams is a good food of all the kibble in a supermarket. Purna one isn't that bad,not as good as others,though.

Edited by author Mon Jan 21, '08 5:48pm PST

[notify]

JJ

Sweetest kitty- around...

Purred: Mon Jan 21, '08 5:51pm PST 
Oreo-I saw the Iams food, and I can swing that, but wasn't sure if they would like it, either. So you think of the store brands, Iams is the best? Maybe I will try that next.

I do give all the kitties soft food once a day. I have been giving them market select in the little plastic tubs. They love it. I tried a couple fancy feasts with no luck.

Thanks for the input!
[notify]

Hector

Is that the- fridge I hear?

Purred: Mon Jan 21, '08 6:06pm PST 
I don't know if your grocery store carries Harmony Farms but here in MA Stop and Shop carries it. It looks like a pretty decent food although it's not really cheap (about $7 for 4 lbs.) There's also Pet Promise which some stores here carry. That also looks pretty good but I'm not sure about the cost.
[notify]

Oreo

Make it look- like the dog did- it

Purred: Mon Jan 21, '08 6:07pm PST 
yes,I think of all store brands it is the best. I do think you should try it next time. Also,Naturals From Purina Cat Chow has a 6 oz sample bag that you can try if they like it you can buy it for them. The sample really is free and you have to pay no shipping. Nutro is not found in a supermarket it is very expensive but maybe one time you can try a free bag requesting the coupon,Here. Blue Buffalo is not found in markets but you can request a free sample for a try in the link shown above. Good Luck,
[notify]

Loki

Loki the Maine- Coon Cat

Purred: Mon Jan 21, '08 8:58pm PST 
Everyone has their own opinions, which we respect. Personally we really like Purina One Naturals - Chicken and Oatmeal. # 1 ingredient is Chicken. We all love it. And since we a started eating it our fur is especially beautiful.
We had tried Wellness dry but did not like it, I'm sure its a very good food, but it didn't do much good for us sitting in a bowl....like our people we kitties have different tastes in food

By the way- we also eat canned food. To us dry is kind of akin to our people eating cereal ....
[notify]

Lucius Cornelius

I'm a survivor

Purred: Tue Jan 22, '08 2:18am PST 
I agree with everyone else....Purina One....that is what I bought for years until one of my cats became diabetic and then had to stop dry food.
[notify]

By-Tor

The house is now- mine

Purred: Tue Jan 22, '08 7:37am PST 
I like Naturals From Purina Cat Chow and Oreo is right to try that sample size. How good is it? When I am visiting brothers and mommy, Frosty will try (and often succeed) eating my food while turning up his nose at his normal food.
[notify]

Kritter

Pet me

Purred: Tue Jan 22, '08 2:05pm PST 
I'm with Loki, I like the chicken and oatmeal, but I LOVE the salmon and brown rice. It's great!! I used to eat Meow Mix, but then I started up-chucking it, so Meowmy tried the salmon and brown rice.
[notify]

Binks

Little boy in a- cat suit

Purred: Tue Jan 22, '08 3:12pm PST 
I don't have any personal experience to help you with, but I totally understand about having to stay within a budget. My human baby is six now and they only get MORE expensive (especially girls, for some reason)!

I did want to caution you to check the recall list on the FDA site before you buy anything. I've heard that some of the recalled foods are still on the shelves in grocery stores. So nothing bad about the food, just be careful that the grocery store hasn't been lazy about removing anything harmful.

Good luck with your new baby and your four furry ones!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3