GO!

Why do vets push Science Diet?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 36)  
1  2  3  4  
Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Mar 30, '12 3:31pm PST 
To the new member who's kitty is having chronic UTIs and nothing is working, I can tell you that's happened very recently to my sister's cat Midnight. Someone I know told me about an all natural thing called D-Mannose. D Mannose for cats. This will explain what it does better than I can but it's worked for Midnight very well. With the help of another Catster mom here I found out that most UTIs are actually caused by ecoli. And D-Mannose is what works to take care of it. Read that page. You can get NOW brand D-Mannose at Amazon.com a lot cheaper than anywhere else I've looked but it really did work on her and I still give it to her occasionally to squelch problems. I'm not someone who automatically believes this stuff but it worked almost instantly. No harm in trying it, it's non toxic.
[notify]

Mika

Purred: Sat Mar 31, '12 11:55am PST 
I have CRF and I was on Science Diet k/d for a few years. That did work well for my problem, but then I decided I didn't like it anymore. My vet told my Mom she should feed me any sort of wet food I would eat but that it needed to be wet food that was formulated for "maintenance of adult cats" and not "all ages" because foods formulated for all ages would contain far too much calcium for me. My Mom had been feeding everyone else Wellness Core, but that is formulated for all ages so it wouldn't be good for me. She looked at the other Wellness foods as well as Merrick and Innova but those are all formulated for all ages as well. In the end, she settled on Science Diet Turkey and Giblets formulated for cats 7 years and up. She's not overly fond of Science Diet as a food, but it is one of the few brands with an adult maintenance formula.
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Sat Mar 31, '12 8:03pm PST 
My vet uses the Royal Canin veterinary diets which IMO are slightly better, but she also does not push prescription food for every little thing and she additionally carries Nature's Variety Instinct and several other high-quality foods. When she gives advice about foods she generally directs people to the back wall of the Pet Supplies Plus in the area-- the back wall is where they keep all the higher quality and grain free foods. Actually I gotta remember to tell her that the new PSP store that just opened isn't set up the same way.
[notify]

Cordelia Joy

I am a mamma's- girl!

Purred: Thu Apr 5, '12 11:17am PST 
I have run into the same issue with 2 of my kitties. Figgy, our youngest, has food sensitivity issues. He's had issues since day 1 of us adopting him-he originally came from a pound and also had round worms. Long story short, the last vet visit I told my husband "His ears will probably be fine, and the vet will say to feed him Science Diet."

Turns out, I was right. Vet told my husband Figgy likely had food sensitivities and I should feed him Science Diet (the kind that helps itchy skin). I looked up the ingredients and showed Bill-if I wanted to feed Figgy peas, I'd just open a can of plain ol' peas.

It's sad, because the clinic does carry some better foods (EVO, California Natural, Natural Balance)....why not point to those? This lady knows that I prefer more natural foods. (I live in a small town, so I'm limited on vets). The other vet in town ONLY sells Science Diet, so I'm not sure if she'd be much better.

Long story short, I have Figgy (Cordie, and Phoebe) on Natural Balance Duck/Pea, Venison/Pea, and a couple Nature's Variety foods (LID dry as a bi-weekly treat, and Lamb canned food.) They can also have Ziwipeak Lamb and Lamb/Rabbit canned-however it is expensive so I feed it occasionally.

I've learned that Figgy cannot eat Blue Buffalo grain-free (or Wilderness) foods-it seems potato is a main culprit to his digestive issues.
[notify]

Percy

always has time- to lick your- face

Purred: Fri Apr 13, '12 8:18pm PST 
Science Diet is the only food company who puts "clinically proven" on their bags because they have tested and legally proven that the food will do what it says. Other foods say "clinically formulated" which is different and misleading. The vet wants to rcommend a food he trusts to work. It is that simple.
[notify]

Tiny

Purred: Sun Apr 15, '12 4:02pm PST 
Our Vet rec. Science Diet when we adopted our dog at 8 months old. Only to find out years later Science Diet was one of the top 5 on the major recall list. My dog ended up with cancer. I was furious. So I did a lot of research on pet food so that the next time I could make up my own mind as to what would be safe to feed my pet and not have to depend on a Vets rec. I knew I wanted a Made in USA food and I wanted something created by a Holistic Vet.When I adopted my cat from the humane society they gave me a bag of Science Diet to feed her or use to transition her to a new food. I guess Science Diet must donate the food. So I transitioned her to Life's Healthy Pet Food and she loves it. I was also interested not only in the ingredients but how little it cost me to feed her such a high quality food. I am so glad I found this.
[notify]

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 36)  
1  2  3  4