GO!

Drinking toilet water: dangerous?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Emma

Adopt an adult- cat!

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '07 8:03am PST 
My mom is a little worried because she recently found me drinking water from the toilet. It's just plain toilet water--she doesn't use any of those things that make it change color or anything. Can the water be dangerous for me?

I just went to the vet, who said I should be getting more moisture in my diet (even though I eat wet food), so if it ISN'T dangerous, mommy is thinking maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I like to drink from the toilet!
[notify]

Smokey

I am the QUEEN!

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '07 8:22am PST 
YUCK!! I know many people let their pets drink from the toilet and even think it's cute. But: would YOU want to drink from the toilet? I wouldn't and I don't think I want my cat to. If she likes running water, a cat fountain is a good idea. Mine LOVE ours and drink a lot more than before.
[notify]

Emma

Adopt an adult- cat!

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '07 8:27am PST 
No, obviously I wouldn't want to drink from the toilet. But Emma seems to prefer it! So if it isn't dangerous for her...I guess I don't think it's that bad. So the question is whether it is dangerous, because if it is, I obviously won't let her.

I tried a fountain with her, but she was afraid of it.

Edited by author Tue Aug 7, '07 8:29am PST

[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '07 10:01am PST 
Hi Emma,

I drank from the toilet for about a year. Of course its nothing we want but it was the only way I would drink water. Often I would run into the bathroom and sit and wait for mom to flush it so I could drink the cascading water. I don't think its dangerous as long as there are no chemicals and it is.....clean.

I stopped on my own when mom bought the Catit fountain. It is quiet and water gently cascades down a dome so I could lick it just like I would do in the toilet. Once I started using that, I never drank toilet water again.

Don't worry, there are lots of kitties and pups who prefer the toilet. The fact is, the water is often cooler and fresher than what is in the bowl and that is why it is prefered.
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '07 11:36am PST 
The only problem with drinking from the toilet is that us cats are smaller than dogs, and we can fall in the toilet, and become panicky when we get wet. Mom has read that occasionally, cats who fall in head first have died. So I would say that at the very least, only leave the toilet open when you are home and can supervise her. Don't leave the toilet accessible when you're gone. Even if she prefers it, she's gonna learn she either has to wait for you to come home, or deign herself to drink bowl water sometimes.
[notify]

Emma

Adopt an adult- cat!

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '07 2:47pm PST 
Thanks Diego and Boris! You both make good points.

Diego, I don't think the fountain will work for Emma, since she was so afraid of it. Also, she doesn't like the toilet when it is running (actually, she likes looking at the water as it runs, but that's it--never drinks it like that). I think that what she likes is the coldness of the water. She likes her water very cold, and I refill her bowl as much as I can so it's cold, but I guess it gets warm quickly.

Boris, you make a very good point about only leaving the lid up when I am home. Thank you!
[notify]

Harley

Lets Go Bills!

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '07 3:57pm PST 
I have a fountain like Diegos where the water cascades over the dome. And there are two fater bowels that have a big resivoir so they are always full. PLUS mom keeps water bowls scatterd around the house for us. Yet... I LOVE drinking out of the toilet! My purrents doesnt use any sort of cleaner that changes the water color but they are still afraid that i'll get sick from bacteria in the toilet. Everytime the clean the toilet they are very careful about keeping the seat down but after a few days the seem to forget more and more. I tried sink water, when she leaves it running - its not as good. I also like to hop in the shower after mom or dad is in there and lick all the water up, but if they put the low faucet onto like a drip, i wont drink from it.
[notify]

Petunia

Purred: Wed Aug 8, '07 6:30am PST 
My concern here is actually falling into the toilet bowl.confused
[notify]

Jabba the- Cat

PURRPURRPURR

Purred: Wed Aug 8, '07 6:39am PST 
Just make sure there aren't any chemicals - like a 1000 flushes in the toilet - those would poison your cat. Keep the lid down if you need to you can get one of those child proof locks that fit over the rim.
[notify]

Luna

Don't ignore me!

Purred: Wed Aug 8, '07 6:48am PST 
Toilet water in itself is not dangerous. Make sure kitty does not drink from it after you just use chemicals to clean it or if you use auto cleaners. My cats drink from the toilet now and the as well. I would be more afraid of a kitten faliing in than an adult cat, but I guess anything can happen. Let kitty drink only when your home and leave the lids down while you are away. Good luck remembering that. smile

Vet tech www.cathealthnurse.blogspot.com
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4