GO!

A way to keep water cold?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Emma

Adopt an adult- cat!

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '07 7:46pm PST 
Emma's mom here: I have noticed that Emma really loves cold water. When her water is anything but very cold, she won't drink it. But as soon as I pick up her bowl to put cold water in there, she starts meowing like crazy in anticipation and then immediately starts drinking.

She doesn't seem to have any interest in running water--just cold water. But the fountains I have found online don't actually keep the water cold. Does anyone have any suggestions?
[notify]

Kiki

Purr Power

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '07 8:28pm PST 
I am interested in the responses you get because we have the same issue. Mommy drops some ice cubes in our water sometimes and that helps, but only until the ice melts.
[notify]

Nuk Anuk

Couching Tiger

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '07 8:59pm PST 
I don't know what to even suggest...

If you keep water refrigerated in the glass jar, it will not be fresh and aerated (and some here in this house, won't drink it without aeration)

And yes... sadly the ice cubes melt up.

Hmmmmm one or both of you together, need to invent the *cooler* style water bowl for kittys who have your same preferences. (or even some thermal type wrap for the water bowl to keep it cool.)

We have 3 kitty heads here, if we can think up any safe (non-toxic) way (and we don't trust any gel-paks or such like that) we will be sure to pass it on.
[notify]

Binks

Little boy in a- cat suit

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '07 9:07pm PST 
I wish I knew. Mommy puts ice cubes in my water, but they do melt. I like my water very cold!
[notify]

Jack ~My- Angel

Cattitude

Purred: Tue Jun 12, '07 4:48am PST 
My mommy keeps our water on top of the vent. In the summer, it stays really cold. We live in an older/historic home so the vents are on the floor and mommy keeps one bowl on the vent for us. We also have a fountain.

In the winter, Mommy keeps some water in the fridge and uses it to fill our bowl. Because Felix is sick, we have distilled water in the bowl and the fountain we have purifies that one. I prefer to drink out of the faucet in the bathroom, but the cold water is great too.

Besides keeping the bowl on the floor vent (if you have one) I'd just use water out of a container in the fridge.
[notify]

Emma

Adopt an adult- cat!

Purred: Tue Jun 12, '07 7:30am PST 
Thanks everycat. It looks like they haven't invented something that keeps water cold all day long. frown Meowmy is going to try to figure out something.

Jack, you are lucky you have a vent so close to the water bowl--we don't have that. Meowmy does fill my water from refrigerated water, but because she works a lot of the day the water ends up sitting and getting warm. For it to be cold the way I like it, she would need to be refilling the bowl every half hour!

I'm kind of a finicky cat! wink
[notify]

Panda

Purred: Tue Jun 12, '07 9:51am PST 
yeh i love ice cold water. my mommy tries to make sure that there are a few ice cubs in my water bowl upstairs as well as down. i love the bathroom faucet water because no matter what it's always ice cold. kitty
[notify]

Binks

Little boy in a- cat suit

Purred: Tue Jun 12, '07 10:45am PST 
We are just now getting central air. It seems in the NW, no houses come with a/c. So, my water has always gotten very warm in the summer. Not to mention the fact that the cats and people are just miserable. Now that we'll have a/c, I guess my water will finally stay cool! I still love playing with ice cubes, though. I like to lick them and bat them around the floor.
[notify]

Kale

Stuptervisor

Purred: Tue Jun 12, '07 1:23pm PST 
We have the same problem too but we both hate running water. Our dishes are on a dish-holder type of thing so our dishes never touch the floor cause the holder keeps it from doing so. Our dishes are also made out of stainless steel so our water stays pretty cool but for the hot summer months, she puts water in a ziplock bag, freezes it, then puts it under our water dishes. It usually stays cold for most of the day while both mom and dad are gone.
[notify]

Leaf

Must kick and- shred!

Purred: Wed Jun 13, '07 9:06am PST 
How about filling the bowl about half full, freezing it and then filling the rest with fresh water? Perhaps you could have a couple water bowls and keep one ready in the freezer while they are using the other one? Just a thought. Good luck!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2