GO!

Watch out for Sheba Premium Cuts Cat Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Merlin

Celtic kitties- unite. >^. .^<

Purred: Fri Mar 30, '07 1:05pm PST 
From Merlin, Taffy and Cecelia's Mom--

I was looking at this cat food the other day and the company makes a feeding disclaimer on its cans and on the website which reads:
** SHEBA PREMIUM CUTSTM is intended for intermittent or supplemental feeding only. The perfect complement to a complete diet.**

After looking over the ingredients, I noticed that taurine is not included so this cat food does not give a cat the recommended nutrients it needs and this food has to be supplemented with another food to make sure the cat gets a proper diet.

How does a cat food company make a food, call it dinner and then say it has to be supplemented? I asked that very same question to them when I e-mailed them. Calling this food a perfect compelment is wrong, this food does not complement anything.

I hope no one on Catster is feeding this solely to their kitty. If you are, please get another food as soon as possible to make sure your kitty is getting the recommended nutrients and nourishment.
[notify]

Lilibet- Squeekietoy- Humphrey

I am the Tiny- Girl!

Purred: Fri Mar 30, '07 1:45pm PST 
That is really outrageous! Only the most fussy fussy fussy catparents (who would be 99.9% of us Catsters) read all the ingredients in the cat foods they buy. How many people aren't reading them? And, lots of people have trouble reading that little bitty print! Imagine buying "Sheba Premium Cuts" because of the cute picture and the classy name only to be feeding your furbabies something less than what they need for proper health and growth! So dangerous!
[notify]

Anubis Rex- (aka "The- Bunny")

Don't smooch me,- I'm Irish!

Purred: Fri Mar 30, '07 2:12pm PST 
My mommy says the high price of Sheba ensures that it's only fed intermittently, MOL. She's bought it for me before, but only every now and then. Not only does mommy say it's really expensive, but I don't always eat it, which makes it moreso. Thanks for watching out for us kitties, though! It's good to know things like this.
---the bunny
[notify]

Spike

Freakus

Purred: Fri Mar 30, '07 8:54pm PST 
sheba is one of the big nasties. by-products, chemicals. blech
[notify]

Lucky Boo,- Loved &- Missed

Mommy's Guardian- Angel

Purred: Fri Mar 30, '07 9:12pm PST 
I eat those occasionally, a couple times a week. But I always have access to kibble and daily have access to other canned foods in my diet as well, so I'm not lacking. The Sheba Premium Cuts always entice me to eat, even when I'm feeling sick, because they taste so good. So Mom will continue to feed them to me, especially when I don't have a good appetite. I think they're fine, as long as they're fed in moderation and not intended to be a complete diet.

I do wish in grocery stores that they were placed along with the treats. It's a bit misleading to find them amongst the canned foods that do meet AAFCO's requirements for a complete and balanced diet. My local PetSmart has them stocked next to the treats; but at my local Kroger, they are right with the other canned foods.

ETA: the Premium Cuts do not have by-products. For example, see the ingredient list for a tin of Ocean Seafood Cocktail with Sauce:
water, tuna, squid, mussels, tapioca starch, guar gum.

Another Edit: I do wish Mars would reformulate this food so that it would be a complete diet. Then consumers wouldn't be misled into purchasing it when it's placed with the canned foods that are nutritionally complete.

Edited by author Fri Mar 30, '07 9:27pm PST

Buddy

Mrow! I love- food!

Purred: Sun Apr 1, '07 12:52pm PST 
Many companies are making "not complete" foods these days, to be fed in rotation with other foods. Wysong "Au Jus" formulas, Innova EVO "95% meat" formulas, are two others that come to mind.

This is not a bad thing. Feeding a meal that is not complete isnt' going to harm your cat, heck do you eat a balanced meal every meal of every day? The only time this is a problem is if you feed this food EXCLUSIVELY.
[notify]

Frankie,- Dreamboat- Angel

Spa Meow,- President

Purred: Sun Apr 1, '07 1:27pm PST 
Mom just received an email from one of catster friends and it said Purina has been added to the recall, so mom is not feeding us any food that has any wheat products.
[notify]

Lucky Boo,- Loved &- Missed

Mommy's Guardian- Angel

Purred: Sun Apr 1, '07 1:51pm PST 
Francis, Sheba isn't made by Purina. It's made by Mars, Inc. And the Premium Cuts don't contain wheat products of any kind. My Mommy isn't feeding me anything with wheat, especially after the recall.

Edited by author Sun Apr 1, '07 1:51pm PST

Frankie,- Dreamboat- Angel

Spa Meow,- President

Purred: Sun Apr 1, '07 2:27pm PST 
I was stating that Purina had been added to the recall. We are staying away from all Wheat. Even Iams (our old brand) has been recalled, so we are so confused as to what to eat.frown
[notify]

Buddy

Mrow! I love- food!

Purred: Sun Apr 1, '07 4:22pm PST 
I'm confused... this post isn't about the recall!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2