GO!

Suggestions on cat breed?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Kitty

Purred: Fri May 29, '15 12:21pm PST 
So I'm thinking about getting a cat when I move out of my parents home, probably sometime within the next year or two, and I want suggestions about what breeds to look at?
The biggest thing I want in a cat is one that is affectionate but not overly clingy. I don't really want to feel like I am taking care of a baby or something. I'd appreciate a cat that is social but also able to entertain itself? Idk, I just don't want it to be like my dog.
I also really want a cat that I can take places and buy or make toys and stuff for. I need a cat that is adaptable.
Grooming-wise I don't really have a preference.
I do tend to gravitate more towards unusual looking breeds like the Cornish Rex. I also like longhaired breeds like the Ragdoll. I do not however, like flat-nosed cats like Persians. I would also prefer a breed that is easy to find in shelters, but it doesn't really matter.
[notify]

Sterling

Go Gently Into- the Night

Purred: Fri May 29, '15 1:33pm PST 
It's great that you want to adopt a cat from a shelter. That's the way to go! My suggestion is just go to shelters and check out the cats they have. In the "looks" department you may connect with a cat you never had in mind.

Especially if the cat has been at the shelter for awhile, the people there will know the cat's personality and be able to help you choose. Right now is "kitten season" ... lots of kittens that are adopted quickly. But check out the mother cats. It's a lot harder for the mom cats to get adopted; their kittens are always gone and mom is left. If you do like a mom cat you will need to wait a few weeks until the kittens are weaned so you can ask the shelter people to put her on hold for you. Pedigree cats do arrive at shelters. I've seen lots of Siamese, Maine Coons and Persians at our local shelter. (Persian-mix don't have the flat faces but do have the long coat you like.)

Not too sure about going places with a cat. Most cats prefer to stay at home although a few may like to travel.

Kitty

Purred: Fri May 29, '15 3:31pm PST 
"It's great that you want to adopt a cat from a shelter. That's the way to go! My suggestion is just go to shelters and check out the cats they have. In the "looks" department you may connect with a cat you never had in mind.

Especially if the cat has been at the shelter for awhile, the people there will know the cat's personality and be able to help you choose. Right now is "kitten season" ... lots of kittens that are adopted quickly. But check out the mother cats. It's a lot harder for the mom cats to get adopted; their kittens are always gone and mom is left. If you do like a mom cat you will need to wait a few weeks until the kittens are weaned so you can ask the shelter people to put her on hold for you. Pedigree cats do arrive at shelters. I've seen lots of Siamese, Maine Coons and Persians at our local shelter. (Persian-mix don't have the flat faces but do have the long coat you like.) "

Yeah that's what I've been seriously considering doing - just going to the shelter and picking up a cat. The one I want to adopt from I can volunteer at, so I'll probably do that just to spend some time with the cat. As far as age goes, I do find myself gravitating toward the adults, but in this situation I'm kind of maybe gravitating more towards a kitten? It's easier to get them used to different situations and animals while they're young, idk.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Jun 1, '15 4:08am PST 
I would also recommend rescuing an adult because you'll know in advance what their personality is, from the rescue or foster. With a kitten it's very hit or miss.
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Sun Jun 7, '15 5:43am PST 
I love the Maine Coons. They are very affectionate but you need to groom them.
I had one and he was super with the kids but as he got older there were health problems. Try not to get the runt of the litter. Orange cats are special too. I had a short haired one. She reached out of her cage at the rescue to grab us. Alex, our present rescue, was a kitten. He is black and white and was socialized as a kitten. A volunteer took his home and he was with them weeks before I got him at six.....I do have a Siberian which you will not find at pounds. The Siberian breeder place a clause in their adoptions of bringing back a cat if you don't want it. They want their cats to stay out of pounds. Mine is a orange colored and is super social. She had to stay with her family for four months. She gets along well with my rescue. I love having two of them....Good luck....
[notify]

Hikaro

I'm the boss

Purred: Fri Aug 14, '15 7:35pm PST 
Not sure whether you've got a cat yet but I'm OBVIOUSLY a tabby fan. We are a tough breed who don't have a lot of health issues because our genes are the best of the best. We are very affectionate and have some very interesting quirks. Some of us love grooming our owners or giving nose kisses. We will grab your hand and give you little gentle love bites if you tickle our tummies. Plus we look like mini tigers! What's not to love?!

And you can find us anywhere, especially in shelters.
[notify]

Mulan

Gentle Giant- Mothers all Cats

Purred: Sun May 15, '16 5:33pm PST 
Hi. Well, I love Siamese cats. They are intelligent, energetic and affectionate to one person. They love to play. But mine don't like to leave the house, but maybe if you do it when the cat is a kitten, the cat will adapt to going places. Siamese cats just need to be brushed occasionally. they are good at self grooming. My cats know when I need them. The only thing is sometimes they can be loud when they really want something. But mine let me sleep in even when their food bowl is getting low, so it's not much of a problem.
[notify]