GO!

should I choose a 1 yr old or a kitten?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Thu Aug 30, '12 12:19pm PST 
Daniel's mama here again:
I'm going to the shelter to adopt a cat, and I'm looking for (preferably) a black or tortie girl kitty aged 1 year or below. I have a cat in mind that I saw on our shelter's page who is still available and gets along with other kitties but now I'm wondering, should I instead adopt a kitten? I'm concerned about my dominant male Daniel hurting the new one. (I have 2 male cats, but Solomon is laid back and loves to be around other kitties. Daniel is more bossy.) I really don't mind adopting a 1 year old and want to give her a chance at a "furefur" home!

I had 3 cats prior to this, but just lost my 3rd a month ago. So I'm not a stranger to having 3 cats and I know what to expect.

Edited by author Thu Aug 30, '12 12:21pm PST

[notify]

Leo

purrrr

Purred: Thu Aug 30, '12 2:41pm PST 
There are so many dynamics involved in how well Daniel would accept the new cat or kitten. If you feel a connection with the one yr old and she has a reputation of getting along with other cats, I'd go for it. (I'd just make sure she doesn't get along with them by totally dominating them....might not be a good mixture with Daniel.) We just decided to foster (and hopefully adopt) a 6 yr old female cat. It is amazing how non-threatening she is to the other cats. She just wants to be friends. Kittens have a reputation for being a non-threatening choice but in our case an adult is probably just as good.

Of course the big advice you will read is go slow with the introductions, whatever the age of the newbie. Good luck with the decision.
[notify]

Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Thu Aug 30, '12 2:48pm PST 
I definitely have a cat in mind. I checked out her bio and she sounds perfect for me....loves to be held, very chatty, and easy going. I really feel like she's my cat, but it's up to the Lord (I'm a Christian).
[notify]

Juliette

Purred: Sat Sep 1, '12 4:13am PST 
Kittens are less threatening to other cats. I have a nine year old who hasn't had a good relationhip with the other cat I had because she had health problems. He wanted to groom her and she would not allow it. Kittens allow everything. Juliette loves Alex's grooming every day and plays with him. He is acting like a kitten himself. He watches over her. Because of her size, he doesn't feel threatened. She is growing up but she is now his playmate. I had a one year old from a rescue who was a sweetie with us but she was nervous about other cats because of her experience when she was a stray. I loved her dearly too and miss her as she passed at 17 last December.......You will find your kitten....soon..I did..
[notify]

Serena

that's Princess- Serena to you!

Purred: Sat Sep 1, '12 6:47am PST 
I'm 2 years old and I'm the one she chose....do you like me? smile
[notify]

Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Sun Sep 2, '12 2:25pm PST 
Serena was returned to the shelter because she was very sick. Fever, sneezing, drooling, runny stools, etc. frown

Goodbye Serena frown
[notify]

Rogue

Mrs Foodie

Purred: Wed Sep 5, '12 1:54pm PST 
OHH No whats wrong with Serena?!! what happened to her at the shelter???xxx
[notify]

Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Sat Sep 8, '12 3:13pm PST 
she had a viral infection and a secondary infection. She's being treated by the shelter veterinarians. because she was sick, she gave me and Solomon her illness.

Edited by author Sat Sep 8, '12 3:14pm PST

[notify]