GO!

What does a health guarantee from a breeder mean?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Fri Jan 27, '12 9:02pm PST 
HCM is not a problem limited to Maine Coons, Ragdolls, and Persians. It is the number one cardio killer for all cats. Purebred cats get more health tests than do randomly bred cats. You do the math.

Breeders test parents and grandparents. Information regarding HCM testing is available through Googling Cornell, the CFA, and the University of Washington. Regarding Maine Coons, there is some discrepancy regarding the accuracy of DNA testing. Should a breeder test? Of course. But is the evidence going to guarantee that your kitty will never get HCM? If anyone has data supporting that clinical data is a good indicator that a cat is not going to suffer from HCM, pleas let me know.

I maintain that any breeder who feels proud that their cats do not have FeLV or FIV is sleazy. There is NO reason that a cattery bred cat should have either of these diseases. More to the point, and yes, I am repeating myself, any breeder who thinks that being FeLV/FIV negative is a plus is clueness. There is not reason that a cattery bred cat should have either disease.
[notify]

~Purrcy ~- Meohmy

I AM- MARSHMELLOW CAT!

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 3:04pm PST 
so if I am interpreting what has been said correctly, a kitten whose parents and grandparents have tested negative for all KNOWN HCM mutations should be absolutely free of the possibility of developing HCM?
Purrcy did develop a very mild murmur in his last 2 years.(less than a grade 1 murmur) But I don't think it was related to genetics, but was probably more age related and due to his specific health issues and the stressors that his diseases put him through.
My cat Bumpurr also had a murmur (he was a MC too), but his murmur also developed late in his life (around age 16). He lived to the age of 19 and was somewhat senile at the time of his death. His murmur, I think was more age related and even though he had an echocardiogram and was seen by a cardiologist, he was not placed on any meds or special diets. Maybe they thought that at his age it was not appropriate. This was over 15 years ago.
In any event, I do thank you for your helpful responses and I have a better idea of what to ask and when to walk away from a potential problem.
I know a lot of folks are wondering why I am not thinking about a rescue cat and my response is this:
Purrcy was a very sick cat for over 2 years. I spent literally thousands of dollars (around $18,000) to save his life and to try to make him as comfortable as I could for those 2 years. I loved him and still love him in memory with all my heart. His death devastated me and I am still trying to recover my equilibrium from his death.
My credit card is recovering at a slow and steady pace. I am fortunate that I have a job that pays me fairly well. I have worked at the same place for over 25 years. I have a steady income.
I have 3 cats right now, and even though I love each and everyone of them, 2 are Bengals that I got for my son and Grizzly is my SO's cat - I need MY own SPECIAL cat.
I could not bear to find a cat from a shelter and find out that that cat has an incurable disease. I just can't deal with that right now. So by buying a kitten from a breeder, I feel like I have a better chance of finding a kitten who is healthy and will be healthy for some time to come (fingers crossed). I know there are no guarantees in life and you kind of take whatever the heck is thrown at you, but I'm going to take the more risk free road right now, because I need to.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 3:50pm PST 
You don't need to justify, to anybody, why, you want a Maine Coon, thats your personal decision. way to go

When a cat is tested for HCM, it just means, that at that point in time, they do not have it. They could potentialy, develope it later, but it also does not mean they will. Any cat, registered breed cat, or not, can get HCM. There on some on here, who have kitties, that are not registered breed cats, that have it.

The point of testing for HCM, is to remove the cats, from the breeding program, that test positive. Keeping a positive cat, in the breeding program, increases the risk, a kitten down the line will get it. HCM can skip a generation, or it cannot, its just that it possible. Males are more prone to HCM, but females can get it too.
It can also only affect one kitten in the litter, and the rest are fine.

Maine Coons, Ragdolls and Persians are prone to HCM, other breeds can get it too. Its a genetic defect. They don't know, where it comes from, and they have only identified, like a small handfull of genes.

The reason you want to make sure, the parents, and the grandparents have been tested, is one, if you only test the parents, the grandparents could potentialy have it, it might have skipped the parents. If the grandparents test negative too, you have a better likelehood, of not getting a kitten with HCM, but it is also not a guareantee, they won't. You are just lessening your odds.

Bump was the only kitten, in his litter that had it. His parents were negative. It was traced back to his grandmother. The breeder spayed/neutered his parents. She wasn't going to take the chance, of another kitten like Bump. His grandmother also got spayed. His breeder did not own, his grandparents.

My kittens came from the same breeder, but totally different line, and I made sure, all the relatives, like going back to the caveman days, mol, were negative. They have been fine.

Ya, to some, this is being way too pickey, but, when you are told, that your 10 month old kitten, has HCM and will not live past 1 yr old, thats it, thats all there is, then come talk to me. And, there are still lawsuits going on, and catterys shut down. You tell me, was it really worth it, not to test?

In getting any kitten, registered breed cat from championship parents, or rescue kitten, there are no guarantees, the kitten will not get sick, or develpe a medical issue. Its how you take care of them, its how you feed them, what kind of vet you have, then the rest, is up to the man upstairs. waveway to gohug
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 3:54pm PST 
Here is a link for MCBFA.

http://www.mcbfa.org/
[notify]

~Purrcy ~- Meohmy

I AM- MARSHMELLOW CAT!

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 5:31pm PST 
thanks for link. Grafton is not very far from here. I can easily get there!
[notify]

~Purrcy ~- Meohmy

I AM- MARSHMELLOW CAT!

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 6:00pm PST 
what I meant basically by getting a healthy kitten was one that does not have FIV or FeLV, and one that comes from a family that has been HCM tested. I certainly am more than aware that health issues can develop at any time and I am prepared to care for any cat that happens to become part of my family.
I know there is a kitten or will be a kitten out there who is going to be my next heart cat. I can take my time and find the right one.
[notify]

Purred: Sun Feb 5, '12 8:07pm PST 
Is it important for a Maine Coon breeder to have the parents's hips certified with the OFA (or Penn Hip).
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2