GO!

Choosing 2 kittens

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maxwell

Maxwell - To the Max!

Purred: Mon Mar 28, '11 4:35am PST 
We've had single cats since we were married 37 years ago. Our fourth cat Max is 14 years old, and has had some health problems. He's a great cat, but he is getting up there. Because of this, we have been talking about getting two kittens when the time comes. What is the best mix?
1. One male and one female?
2. Siblings?
Many thanks!!
[notify]

Ginge

the ginja ninja

Purred: Mon Mar 28, '11 4:58am PST 
Why wait?? I would get them now, as long as they are baby kittens it dosen't matter if they are not siblings, but I would get same sex personally. I have 3 toms and 2 queens aged from 16 years to 8 months.

But please, please, do get a rescue when you do, there are so many in all countries that need forever homes.
[notify]

Nellie

yummyyummy i got- fancy feast in- my tummy

Purred: Mon Mar 28, '11 10:47am PST 
my two cats were adopted from shelter as kittens. they are both girls. please adopt from a shelter or rescuse group. those kitties need homes. u could get a male and female kitties or the same sex its up to u.
[notify]

Jill- Teagarden

Furrever Homes- Rock!!!

Purred: Mon Mar 28, '11 10:57am PST 
I have two sets of siblings, both pairs are male and female. Just my two cents, either adopt siblings or young kittens who will bond. They keep each other entertained, and much less stress on your older cat. Agree, please look into adopting a shelter cat, and the shelter can tell you what kittens got along together....you may find a pair who were just in a cage together and bonded.

Good luck, and we look forward to welcoming your new furry family members to CATSTER.

The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Mon Mar 28, '11 12:26pm PST 
I was told 1 male and 1 female is the best choice. Its the perfect balance.
[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Mon Mar 28, '11 6:46pm PST 
We agree with Kisu.

Mommy and Daddy had a single cat before us. When she passed at age 18 they were looking to get 2 kitties. They adopted us! We are a sister and brother, natural siblings. We are best friends. We have so much fun together.

A good place to look is petfinder.com where you can put in your zip code and different kitties available from different rescues or foster homes will come up.

My pawrents highly recommend adopting 2 or 3 kitties together - either siblings or best friends. Our human brother had adopted 3 cats that were natural siblings and they also get along so well and have so much fun.

Love,
Zack & Zoey

Edited by author Mon Mar 28, '11 6:50pm PST

[notify]

Calli

Come play with- me!

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 4:39am PST 
There hasn't been a kitten with mommy and daddy...but mommy used to work in an adoption center for animals. She said that it truly doesn't matter, and if they are brother and sister, or brother and brother, or sister and sister, all is well.

Mommy also says that there are plenty of young adult bonded siblings out there...2 1 year old sisters up for adoptin right now from someone in her accupuncturist office....so please don't rule that out. Because everyone wants the babies.
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 10:47am PST 
Me and my brofur and siblings .. not from the same mom, but from the same dad, we are two weeks apart. Many cats have an adjustment period when they are not brought up together in the same household and can learn to be loving to one another.. so even tho siblings is easier.. it can work the other way also (it just takes a little more patience and time)we took the easy way out.

wave Hi Zack

Edited by author Tue Mar 29, '11 10:48am PST

[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 11:57am PST 
wave Hi Kisu!!

Callie you are so right, you can find bonded kitties that are a little older too that either are siblings or became best friends at the rescue/foster home. There are some places where they will actually say that they want both cats to go together because they are so close. Neat to give best friends a new furever home together!

Really tiny kitties grow so fast that getting a cat that is 1 or 2 is a great idea. My parents had been looking at that age too when they were looking for us. Sometimes it was even hard to find kitties as they are adopted so quickly.

Any 2 kittes that are picked will be very lucky.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 4:14pm PST 
I'd even look at two adults who have been together forever, but the owner has turned them in. That seems to happen a lot and it's near impossible to get 2 over 5 year old cats adopted together, even though they have at least 10 years left to live if they are treaated rightfrown
If they are older, if you can, get a bonded pair, can be same sexes or opposite.
With cats under a year old, Meowma says the sex doesn't really matter. She was really worried about bringing kitties here with my old self, but I was ok with the Rory, even though he pestered me to death. So when she got Pandora, she was afraid I'd hate her because she's a girl. But we are all 3 getting along great! Meowma hopes the younguns might pick up some on how much I love my Meowma, before I...you know.

Edited by author Tue Mar 29, '11 4:18pm PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2