GO!

Why Do People Go To Breeders?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 5 of 12: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  
Linus- (Dreamboat- #72a)

So many toys, so- little time.

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 10:27pm PST 
I'm a little late getting into this post, but I agree with what has already been said. Responsible breeders are NOT the problem. Irresponsible people who do not spay and neuter are the problem. There will always be people who desire purebreds. Purebreds tend to be more predictable in terms of adult appearance, size, and (to an extent) personality. Some colors found in purebreds are not found in the domestic population. Other people enjoy showing cats. Not all breeds are genetically modified.

Many breeds are actually natural (such as Korats). Other breeds (like the Rex breeds) are the result of spontaneous mutations in the domestic population. Many domestic mix cats can resemble purebreds, but only purebreds will breed true to type.

I wonder why it is so much more "acceptable" to own a purebred dog? Owning a purebred cat seems to rock the boat sometimes so to speak. Some people, quite frankly, seem shocked when they find out I own two purebred cats (I also have one shelter cat). My European Burmese (Linus) and my Tonkinese (Rider) are beautiful cats with wonderful personalities. I also enjoy showing them. Their adoption experiences were good and I have grown to be friends with their breeders.

Quite frankly, my shelter cats have had health issues and have actually ended up being more expensive than my purebreds. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from adoption/rescue, and I love my shelter cats dearly, but know that (for lack of a better phrase) you're likely getting a "fixer-upper". Shelters and Rescues do the best they can, but they only have so much space, staff, time, and money.

Lots of people mistakenly think a purebred could just stay with the breeder. A breeder cannot keep every cat and kitten they produce. Most breeders like to keep their cattery numbers small so they can give the cats the attention and care they deserve. Responsible breeders actually lose money. Showing their cats to make sure they meet the breed standard, stud fees, vet bills, buying new cats to avoid inbreeding, food, litter, ect. adds up fast. Responsible breeders breed for the love of their chosen breed and strive to breed cats that are healthy and meet the breed standard. In any given litter, there will be "pet quality" kittens that cannot be used in a responsible breeding program or shown in the purebred classes. These kittens cannot stay with the breeder forever and must find loving pet homes. Purebred or mix, all kitties deserve loving homes.
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 10:19am PST 
Couldn't have said it better myself, Linus!

Some people say that dogs have breeds because the different breeds have different "jobs." Yeah, like most people nowadays use their dogs for herding sheep or whatever.

The last time I looked at the CFA website, I saw that some legal restrictions that affect even hobby breeders have been passed, and that more are in the offing. The sad thing is when people lump kitten mills and backyard breeders together with small-scale hobby breeders. And unfortunately the people who pass these laws are often swayed by the argument that buying cats from breeders endangers the lives of shelter cats, and/or purebred cats are contributing to the cat overpopulation problem. Better that legal measures be taken to do away with puppy/kitten mills, and pass and enforce laws requiring catteries to be hygienic and humane.
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 12:29pm PST 
Hermoine- There are different types/forms of polydactyl in cats. There is the most common type and then there are other types. Some of the other types can cause issues/problems in cats so yes certain type of polydactyl would be bad to breed. The common type is not related to any issues or abnormalities.
Maine Coons polydactyly is the common/harmless type. The gene that causes polydactyl Maine Coons is not connected with any other problems and is not harmful if polys are bred together, so there are no issues related to breeding poly Maine Coons.
[notify]

♥- Socko- ♥

Beware the lean- mean sock thief!

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 12:37pm PST 
Many people just want a particular breed to be proud of and to brag, "I have a purebred!" But it overall it just depends on your opinion. I agree that it is better to just go to the pound though. One reason is because it is generally much cheaper, and another reason is because of exactly what you said: There are so many homeless cats and dogs out there that need to be saved and people deserve to be considered heroes for overcoming their urge to get a "purebred" when there are many other cats and dogs that actually do need help. All of my cats came from the animal shelter, except for Misty, who was being thrown around and miss treated by a bunch of boys as a young kitten and we decided to rescue her from the abuse she was going through. She still tends to be a bit flinchy and nervous from time to time by instinct, but overall, she's a really sweet cat. I tag all my cats as Domestic Shorthairs, or a mixture of many different breeds, and I'm proud of that enough to not go hunting out for a breeder.
Now, I will give the people who do go to breeders for cats and dogs one thing. Think about what would happen to the breeders and purebred cats if there weren't people going out to buy them? Well, the cats would probably just be put in a pound like any other cat. But what about the breeders? They would not have their job if it were not for these people. I'm not saying they do it for that reason, but I'm just giving them a point.
Now, the kind of person like you and me would do this. If we wanted a cat, we'd head out to the pound. I'm happy to help those pets with no home and are in risk of being killed. My hypothesis is, so are you. snoopysnoopysnoopy
[notify]

Umesaburo

I'm a stud!

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 2:44pm PST 
Yes, I'm sure there are people who get purebred cats as a status symbol, especially people who go in for the latest "fad" breed. But I'm not sure they're in the majority. I think most people who buy purebreds just fall in love with that particular breed's look and temperament. Yes, being able to brag that your cat cost thousands of dollars may be an ego booster for some people, but not all pedigreed cats are that expensive. Also, don't forget that shelter cats cost money, too.

As for "breeding" being a "job"--I have no knowledge about kitten mills or backyard breeders; I assume they make some money from breeding. Your average hobby breeder will have perhaps 2-3 litters per year, keep adult cats for breeding, and also have show cats, altered, retired show/breeding cats, and the odd moggy or two thrown in. Most breeders don't do it for the money--you're more likely to go into the red than make a profit. At best, the money you make will pay for keeping the cats you have and participating in cat shows. Thus, the expression "hobby breeders." It's an expensive hobby, take my word for it.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 4:37pm PST 
OK Socko, that is a fair question, what would breeders do, if nobody bought the purebred kitties, or something to that effect. big grin

People who do not show, may not realize it, but there are an awful lot of show kitties out there, an awful lot.
The average show, in CFA, ballpark, pulls in about 200 cats, per show. This is just one show. You have ballpark, every weekend, about 3-4 shows going on, every weekend, and that is in just one Region. Multiply that by all the Regions out there, all states, plus Japan and other countries, and that is an awful awful awful lot of show kitties. Thats not even counting TICA or some of the smaller organizations.

So unless some catastrophy happens, that wipes out all the CFA and TICA shows and people, people are going to go to breeders, for show kitties. Thats not even counting, the average person, who wants a breed kitty. big grin

In the horse world, we have a saying, it costs the same to feed a registered horse, as it does a grade horse.

Shelters are full, of unwanted cats and dogs, where did they come from? How many breed cats, do you really see, in shelters? Not from breeders, who breed purebred registered cats. They come from John Q Public, who does not, spay/neuter their kitties, for whatever reason. big grin
[notify]

Padfoot

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 4:58pm PST 
Thanks for your comments re: polydactal MCs.
As for the status symbol. I'm sure that exists. I did not get a Savannah as a status symbol, even though they are pricey (I don't think I ever told anyone how much I paid). I got a Savannah as I fell in love with the breed. And yes, I have/had rescue cats.

BTW, re: Turkish Angoras. I say in Padfoot's profile that he is TA/cross. Honestly I am not sure, but the circumstances around his adoptation are very curious-- and not the typical story. There is also a fairly disreputable pet store selling puppy/kitty mill pets. Churning out kittens is not hard, esp if you are in Missouri (I am not but I understand most mill pets are from MO.) I also have a mill dog (rescue) and there are a lot of similarities. But gosh knows I could be wrong. smile Padfoot is a rescue so I would never know, and whatever he is he is gorgeous and I love him (trouble though he may be.)

(I'm signing on as Padfoot so you can see him.)

--des

Edited by author Mon Nov 29, '10 5:04pm PST

[notify]

Lowell

Regional Winner!

Purred: Tue Nov 30, '10 2:29pm PST 
Hmm, with only two photos, it's hard to tell. I'm used to seeing Turkish Angoras at shows in the Longhair rings, and there are several very good and very active TA breeders in Japan. However, the show-type TA you can see on the CFA TA Breed Profile page, and the pictures of TAs from the Ankara Zoo do look somewhat different, even though TAs are all supposed to be able to prove that they have an actual Turkish cat in their ancestry.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Tue Nov 30, '10 4:01pm PST 
Here is a link on Turkish Angora's. big grin

http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/turkish-angora.html
[notify]

Padfoot

Purred: Tue Nov 30, '10 5:20pm PST 
This is a bit OT but:

I'll try to post some better pictures, if I can. He is more clunky than would be considered desirable. He has the same coat type (silky non-matting) and blue eyes. He is mostly white with pale reddish markings. He has lots of behavior traits I see associated with TAs-- extremely active, very playful, extremely social, and into things.

But as I said, there is no proof that he came from bad pet store mill as a "purebred TA". (Of course, anyone running a mill doesn't really care much for what other blood they throw in or how close to breed standard it might be). The situation with Padfoot is just rather odd. NO shelter would have adopted to 3-4 college Freshman girls. Bad pet store mill would be delighted to take the money.

I also have a purebred Pembroke Welsh Corgi who I know was a mill dog. (I got from a rescue group.) She is so off standard that she is 10 lbs lighter and quite a few people ask if she is a purebred. Of course, I don't actually know for sure. I assume so, just because she is totally corgi.

That said, I got the cat from rescue. He has been major dollars with lots of health issues and had major behavior issues.

I am more curious about this than really think it is important. I don't care as he has become a very nice cat.

--des

Edited by author Tue Nov 30, '10 5:21pm PST

[notify]

(Page 5 of 12: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12