GO!

Adding a second cat ?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Mesha

The Alley Cat

Purred: Mon Sep 28, '09 7:32pm PST 
We have a 12 year old cat and 4 years ago we got a puppy. Usually I take our dog to work with me which means Mesha our cat is home alone. Lately Mesha seems to be lonely. Would adding a second cat be a good idea at her age? How do you know if she is better off being an only cat or would benefit from having another cat around?
[notify]

Cleo (The- Queen)

I am the Queen- of the house....

Purred: Mon Sep 28, '09 9:18pm PST 
She may not like having another cat around...it just depends on what kind of cat she is. Cleo took awhile to get used to Mysty, but now they are very good friends. But....Cleo was younger. I would ask your vet.
[notify]

Persia

What Breed am I?- A dog in a cats- body?

Purred: Tue Sep 29, '09 12:31am PST 
we have recently been thinking the same thing. Our cat is about 7 months old and we are thinking about getting her a brother or sister while she is still young.
[notify]

Mesha

The Alley Cat

Purred: Tue Sep 29, '09 3:11pm PST 
I worry because Mesha is 12 now it wouldn't go well. She has never been around another cat since she was a kitten at 7 weeks old. I just feel so bad because she seems so lonely.
[notify]

Charlie

Why did they- take almost all- my tooths??

Purred: Wed Sep 30, '09 9:22pm PST 
Maybe you could try a foster situation with your local humane society. That way if it didn't work out, you haven't really adopted the cat/kitten yet.

Charlie is 14 and likes to be left alone. But he had a brother, Oscar, for 12 years. I only saw the two of them lay by each other a handful of times in all those 12 years, and sometimes they play fought kinda rough.

After Oscar died I tried a foster cat who was very sweet at the shelter. But she was almost Charlie's size, and it stressed Charlie out a lot. I would have given it more time, but Charlie started suffering with coughing spells from the stress. So I took him to the vet, found out he has asthma, and started treating him.

Now it's a month later, and I've just adopted a baby kitten, 6 weeks old. I decided a small kitten might be less stressful for him....but at the same time, I'm worried she will bother him with her high energy.

They havent met yet, so you can stay tuned to find out how it goes.
[notify]

Lucy

Lucy in the Sky- with Diamonds

Purred: Thu Oct 1, '09 10:12am PST 
I totally agree with Charlie-
I think fostering would be perfect for your situation. If you are unsure of how your kitty feels with other cats around, fostering would be perfect. You will still be helping out an animal (GREATLY) without making the lifetime commitment for the cat that may not work with yours. Even if the cat you foster may not be the cat you want to adopt(which probably won't be the case-trust me-it's IMPOSSIBLE not to get attached) you will have been able to see how your cat reacted with the foster. You will be doing a great thing and i think it would be a lot better than adopting a cat and not having it work out.
[notify]