GO!

Someone with allergies

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Sonic

Purred: Sat Aug 15, '09 7:20pm PST 
Is there anything a person with cat allergies can do to eventually own a cat? I love cats so much but all I'm able to have is a collection of cat books (it's rather sad). I would just like to read from cat owners. . . maybe someone has cat allergies and was able to find a med that works for their allergies but doesn't have a lot of side effects.

Thanks,
[notify]

♥- Nina- ♥- rehomed

Jellybean the- queen <3

Purred: Sat Aug 15, '09 8:17pm PST 
Huh? Don't you already have a cat? Anyway, sphinx cats are hairless, so you could look into that.
[notify]

Charlie

Why did they- take almost all- my tooths??

Purred: Sun Aug 16, '09 2:09pm PST 
My boyfriend is allergic but he moved in with me and my two cats + dog. Today we went and got a new cat because we lost Oscar last week. He used to take generic Claritin but one day it made him hyper so now he hasn't taken it in about a year.

Sometimes his eyes itch. We have anti-itch eye drops for that. He blows his nose, splashes his face with cold water, and uses saline nasal rinse. Sometimes when he pets the cats, his nose runs a little and his throat itches, and sometimes he sneezes, but he thinks it's nothing compared to how cute our kitties are. He feels that he's gained a little resistance to them since living with them for a year.

I used to work at an animal shelter and most of the people there have allergies. Some of them are on prescription pills or nasal sprays. I take generic Flonase myself. I'm not allergic necessarily, but I do get itchy sometimes.
[notify]

Tiger

Don't leave,- Mommy and Daddy!- Stay!

Purred: Sun Aug 16, '09 9:02pm PST 
I'm allergic to cats. Then again, I'm literally allergic (violently) to EVERYTHING they test for at my allergist, except for one thing. yes, literally I'm allergic to everything they test for. I'm not exaggerating.

I use flonase nasal spray, I take either Zyzol or Allegra (generic) which are the more powerful medications on the market, I am on allergy shots. There are no side effects to the flonase or Zyzol/Allegra. The allergy shots were giving me big red bumps (egg sized) but that was when I was building up to my maintenance dose and was getting them every 3-4 days. I was also getting some nice rough patches of exzema on my arms, but that seems to be much better now. Since I get them no more than one time a week now, I seem to be fine. I have not had another sinus infection or missed anymore work for allergies since I made the changes I'm going to describe to you below. Before that, I blew through about 4 weeks of saved sick time this year.

Non-medical adjustements:

I own a Dyson vacuum (designed for pet hair), I removed all extraneous bedding from the bedroom. I wash all laundry with hot water to kill dust mites and wash everything on the bed once a week in hot water. I have all my pillows and mattress covered and I wipe down or vacuum the covers each week. I was actually fine with my allergies and the two cats I had until I started working at a school that has mold problems last year. I started having severe headaches in the fall and had my first sinus infection in 15 years last NOvember. The Zpack didn't work for me, and in fact, I reacted so badly to it that I won't be taking it ever again. The fever and infection went away but the headaches did not, so I knew it was going to come back. I eventually did 21 days of antibiotics (very powerful ones) and in the end, my sinuses were so inflamed that the infection couldn't ever go away. Massage therapy and chiropractic care got the gunk to come out of my head where it lodged in my neck and shoulders. A round of muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories go it to go away. I went to the allergist which was a long arduous process. The first allergist I went to was frankly psycho. They told me to have all this blood testing for allergies that wasn't covered by my insurance and they required all these extra visits rather than doing something. It took two months just to get the allergy shots going. I was so frustrated by the process that I was deeply depressed about it. Some of the blood work indicated that I would have to cut out about 25 foods for up to a year and that many other foods could harbor allergens. I was going to have to throw away all the food in my house and go to a nutritionist to figure out what I could eat. That also was not going to be covered by insurance.

Then I went to a different allergist which thank God my insurance covered. I had all the testing redone. It was similar results, except that doctor said the 25 foods were ones I happened to have eaten and I wasn't going to have to avoid them for a year. Also, I was able to start my allergy shots right away and was able to build up my levels of allergens much faster. He also said that I essentially self-innoculate with my cats. Yes, I'm allergic to them, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to everything else I'm allergic to. Also, I DON"T get sneezy or have itchy eyes around my cats. Happy DID make my eyes itchy the first couple of weeks, but not now.

Anyhow, If you are allergic, the question is what are you allergic to OTHER than cats and how allergic are you to these things?

Can you get allergy testing? If yes, I'd do that first. Then I'd get on allergy shots if necessary. The thing with animals is that they shoot allergens into the air. Pet dander is airbourne and sticks around a place for up to 10 years after an animal is in that place. Probably you have dander in your house even if you don't have an animal.

All the allergy magazines push getting rid of animals, or at least getting them out of your house for a couple of months and seeing if you feel better. Also they say do not have animals in your bedroom b/c you spend about 1/3 of your time in your bedroom.

I really think the thing I need to do next is to get rid of the wall to wall carpeting in my house and put in tile and hardwood floors. I'd also like to get a good air purifier. Those are about $500, so it's something I have to wait on for a while. The floors I've got to wait a lot longer on.

In the end, I was fine with my allergies, even with having cats, until I started working in that school. I'm not surprised, to be honest, b/c the first allergy I demonstrated at age 13-14 was to penicillin which is mold based. I'm fairly sure that my mold allergies are the ones I deal the worst with.

since I've been more vigilant around the house, I've been able to ease up on some of the restrictions I had put on myself. I'm not needing a mask to clean anymore, for instance, and I'm not having to dust every room every week, but more on a 2-3 times per month basis or more if needed.

The other thing I did, was I DO NOT do yard work, at all, anymore, b/c all of my allergies are represented in high levels at the same time outside.

I think you can have a cat unless you or someone in your family has asthma. I'd check if there is a family history of it, too, b/c you could develop it.

Also, if all you get is the occasional itchy eye or watery nose, I'm sorry but you just don't have that bad of allergies.

The best analogy for explaining allergies is that everyone has an allergy load. It's like a cup. Some people have a big cup, others have a small cup. Some people put lots of stuff in their cup (b/c they are allergic to more, are more severely allergic to things, are more exposed to things they're allergic to, etc), others put less. In my case, I have a small cup and I'm putting lots of stuff in it. Cats are just one of about 40-50 things I'm allergic to, so it's not a big deal for me. I have to do all this other stuff to deal with my other allergies, so I'm protecting myself anyhow. Since I have cats, I self-innoculate by having a regular exposure to their dander.

The thing people don't realize is that when you really have allergies, it's like you're being poisoned a little all the time. You ache, you don't sleep well, or need too much sleep. You are tired and lack energy. It's really debilitating. Then again, when people see how sick you actually are (everyone I knew, family, friends, colleagues was truly worried about me), they can sort of start to understand. You just can't live life the same way when you have allergies. And I'm not even talking about the food allergies I have. The terrible thing is that I'm way worse than the majority of people around there, but with care, allergies don't cramp my style much now. The few people that are worse of than me are infinitely worse off than me.

If you want to talk me, feel free to message me. I've had to learn a lot about allergies recently! I think you COULD have a cat, but I'd have to know more details and you'd have to visit an allergist and weigh the pros and cans. I'll be happy to help you.

Allison
Mother of Tiger, Kali, and Happy

Edited by author Sun Aug 16, '09 9:10pm PST

[notify]

♥- Nina- ♥- rehomed

Jellybean the- queen <3

Purred: Mon Aug 17, '09 4:22pm PST 
They had mould in the school? Yuck! Wow that's a lot of allergies for 1 person. I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. I feel sick to my stomach when I go to places where people have smoked. I'm also totally with you on the carpet. I hate carpet with a passion except for the carpet in my own house. If I'm anywhere else, I'll go out of my way to avoid any type of contact with the carpet at all costs. It's a phobia of mine.
[notify]

mIcHiS

-iTs aLl AbOuT- ME!!!-

Purred: Mon Aug 17, '09 7:17pm PST 
I am allergic to cats but I didnt find out until we already had michis
frown there was no way we'd ever give her up so instead of me using medicine , it was her that we treated. What we did was use allerpet , a solution that really helps to control allergies , you just rub it into the cats fur once a week and it really helps. Look into it on internet. But make sure someone non allergic does it for you. And also follow some basic advice , dont let them into your bedroom ,wash yours hands after petting them, have some one else brush them often so there not a lot of dead hair that can fall of. I did use some medicine at first I dont remeber the name it was some generic thing but after a while my allergies that at first had been so violent they kept me up a night coughing , gradullay faded away into a managable form. I've read that after a while , some people's bodies become immune to the danader of a certain animal , their pet that spends the most time with them so thay dont suffer allergies from that one animal as much as they do for others of their species , and I think thats what happened to me. I will probably never be able to have more than one cat or dog at a time , and I still suffer the sniffles around other dogs/cats and a long petting season with michis will send my eyes watering and itching but I really dont care it is soo worth it!
[notify]

Kali

PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAA- YYYYYYYYYYYYY

Purred: Mon Aug 17, '09 9:20pm PST 
Allerpet does work. We have another friend who is very allergic, doesn't own cats (ie doesn't self-innoculate), has asthma, and does not do the shots. I vacuum, especially the chair he ends up sitting in, rub the cats down with allerpet, and he takes an allergy pill before coming over.

Also, I take the cats outside and use the furminator on them once a week. Then I immediately take my clothes and wash them and get a shower. I wear a mask when I'm grooming the cats.

Allison
[notify]

Namerovsky

From a- distinguished- line of tabby- cats

Purred: Wed Aug 19, '09 7:00am PST 
I'm super allergic, but don't take meds and am ok with one cat. Here's what I do:

1. Bathe cat every two-3 weeks...I can tell when he needs it because i get itchy again. I think this is the best thing I do.

2. Furminator regularly.

3. Lots of laundry - blankets and quilts on the sofas and then wash them a lot.

4. I have tile floors so carpet isn't so bad.

I can't believe the thing about 10 years that dander stays in the house...well, I can, because I was in an apartment once that I was miserable in all the time...from the former cat...who was filthy.

But really, if it stays that long, not sure it's so great to have a cat in the house. That made me think twice.

But I'm ok so far with this routine.
[notify]

Marina

Truman\'s Girl

Purred: Wed Aug 19, '09 7:22pm PST 
I have what the allergist calls Non Allergic Rhinitis. I get all the symptoms that someone with true allergies gets but I can't take the shots. My regular doctor just sighs and says, "You have alleries." And she gives me all the same medicine the allergy suffers take.

I do have problems with cats. Velvet, who went to the bridge, was a double coated, medium-haired cat. She was so soft and so fluffy but I had the worst trouble with my allergies with her.

I have two Tonkinese cats right now. Their hair is much shorter and I'm pretty sure they are not double coated. I do much better with them.

I have a book called The Sneeze-Free Cat Owner: Allergy Management & Breed Selection for the Allergic Cat Lover. I'd be happy to give you the short version of the info from it but I can't seem to locate it. I know it has a lot of very helpful tips and they are all in one place. I've also found that getting rid of carpet was one of the best things I ever did.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. I'm pretty sleepy right now so I'm sure I'm forgetting something important. Good luck to you. I think everyone should own a cat.
[notify]

Tiger

Don't leave,- Mommy and Daddy!- Stay!

Purred: Thu Aug 20, '09 2:21pm PST 
Check out this article from cnn.com
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/20/allergy.proof.home/ind ex.html
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4