GO!

Which type of cat to get?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 8 of 10: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Cheyenne

Her Royal- Cheyness

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 12:25am PST 
I don't have any special "breeds" but I love kittens as well as cats. There are 12 here and the younger the kitten, the more likely it will be affectionate if you spend enough time holding it and loving it.

I'm the oldest and a female and I'm 13 yyrs old. Mon adores me and I am the light of her life and very intuitive. In fact, she hated cats till I met her. I completely changed her thinking and now, she can't say No to a homeless cat.

My house does not stink and as long as you scoop regularly and change the litter often, with one cat there should be virtually no smell. thee are attachments for vacuums for cat and dog hair so even that shouldn't be a problem.

Once a cat has touched your life, you will never be the same.
The addition of a second cat is a smart idea as a bored cat will often look for it's own excitement.

Get a magazine called Cat Fancy for even more info. It is a wonderul publication and I have learned a lot.

Oh, and if the cat you are interested in .. isn't interested in you... it is best to keep looking. Cats will Pick who they Like.

BEst of luck to you in your search. Play with your kitty and give it lots of love and you won't be sorry.
[notify]

Dee Dee

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 4:56am PST 
I have two cats. The big one is about medium hair and he has to be brushed every once in a while. Shadow the smaller one has a mind of his own...he is like a dog he follows me everywhere. He likes his treats and lets me know when he wants them. He likes to play with his stuffed mice, too. kitty They both play nicely together. They pretend like they fight but you know they are playing. I am a big cat lover and its hard to choose the right cat. Just go by your instincts. And you'll have no problem...cloud 9
[notify]

Malley

Malley - Where's my- Mommy!

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 5:03am PST 
As another reader wrote, a Ragdoll-mix or purebred Ragdoll would be right up your alley. I have two - they are low maintenance, loving and beautiful. Their fur doesn't mat, but brushing now and then helps their skin and they just love it. I acquired a 3-yr old first, and then a year later got a kitten. I would recommend a kitten so he gets to know you alone right off the bat. Boys are best. Look up Ragdolls in the Breed information. You would adore them.
[notify]

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 5:38am PST 
Aw, thank you guys so much! happy dance You're all so awesome and amazing!

So let me tell you guys the story of what happened:

I decided I wanted a cat at the end of September after deciding to relocate closer to my university. So I was loooking up in shelters and was really excited and then all the sudden I started getting really bogged down in work and school so I had to put my plans on pause for awhile. then when things finally started getting better the hecticness of the holiday season came, so I decided to wait until after Christmas to get my kitty (all the while checking petfinder every now and then). So then after Christmas I drove to one of my local shelters and started talking to some people and they had the perfect cat there! It was like a miracle. The cat wasn't even posted on petfinder yet! It was an older declawed female who has the silkiest coat. I was tlkaing to one of the shelter staff and they said that they think it's mixed with ragdoll because of it's silky caot and docile nature. The cat is sooooo sweet. The only difference is it's shorter hair. It's not really that short but it's shorter than a ragdoll, so I affectionately call her a shorthaired ragdoll big laugh It's almost like a new breed wink. So I'm really happy now, and the shelter was so nice. They gave me food and litter and a litter pan to start out with , so I had a few weeks before I had to buy my own!!! So now I want to know what is the best stuff. I'm definetly going to look into TidyCats though smile
[notify]

FOREST

PLAY PLAY PLAY

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 5:47am PST 
Have you become a member yet?? If so send me a friends request. Would love to see the pics. of her and hear all about her story and personality.

concatulations on your new fluffy bundle of joy =)
[notify]

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 7:33am PST 
I'm not a member, yet and I'm not sure how to become one. I don't have a good camera so I can't really take great pics, but here's some pics her foster mom took of her. She's adorable. The reason she wasn't posted on petfinder was because her foster mom had her for a few months and then was thinking about keeping her but then for some reason it didn't work out and the cat came back to the shelter the day before I came there! It's really amazing and the foster mom gave the shelter these pics and the shelter then emailed them to me.

(sorry for not having a link)

http://i42.tinypic.com/6tp9gw.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com /2m784tl.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/30hlzed.jpg

The pics are amazing and if I get a profile I'm definitely gonna keep these.
[notify]

Clifford

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 8:19am PST 
Get a cat that seems to take to you, dont choose by breed or color , pet each one, there will be one that picks you and you will know it to , I picked my humom,she picked me up and I just liked her, had alot to say to her, the shelter people said oh all males? that wont work out, but it did, they all love each other, so look at them all and spend alittle time with all of them and you will know which needs to come home with you
[notify]

Emma

Don't I look- innocent? heh- heh heh

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 9:07am PST 
Many people are assuming two cats will eventually get along. 10 years ago Mom thought I was lonely and brought Puddy into the house. Was she ever wrong! I liked it fine all alone, and now that hussy Puddy get almost as much attention as I do! Mom didn't know I was a bossy boots and a loner. It just doesn't always work.confused

Edited by author Tue Jan 27, '09 9:16am PST

[notify]

Puddy

Huh?

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 9:10am PST 
Well, Emma isn't happy I came to live with her, but I am! I had been living in a cage on a stairwell, because my previous person didn't like cat hair! Mom and Dad love me as much as Emma, and I don't care if she picks on me, as long as I get petted! cheer
[notify]

Leo

Meow! Am I ever- hungry!!

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 9:15am PST 
I came to live with Emma and Puddy last year because my people had a baby that was allergic to cats! Can you imagine what it's like for an old guy like me to come into a household with 2 females?? I'm blind now, and Emmas still picks on me, but there's lots of love to go around here.
I guess just because it might not work from one cat's perspective, another one will be happy with the situation.
By the way, my two new sisters are really 'uppity' but I love everyone!big grin
[notify]

(Page 8 of 10: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10