GO!

Which type of cat to get?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Purred: Sun Sep 28, '08 5:14pm PST 
Hi Catster! wave

I've never had a cat before (I'm a dog person) and I'm thinking about getting one when I move to a small apartment.

I'm going to shelters to look for just the right one! I'm also interested in purebreds, but I know they're not common. So anyway -

I'd like to know which cat's are calmer:
* long hair or short hair
* tabby or solid
* which particular color combo...

I'd like to know which cats shed less:

Which cats are more affectionate:
* tabby or solid
* which particular color combo...

There are also other things I'd like to know like which cats jump more/less and different cat related things. What I really want is a mellow affectionate floor cat and I want to know from you owners which type/breed etc would fit me best. Are there any generalizations I need to know/consider?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Edited by author Mon Jan 26, '09 2:09pm PST

Approved by forums moderator

Purred: Sun Sep 28, '08 5:17pm PST 
I forgot to ask which gender would best suit me?
[notify]

Sable - ~Love you- Always~

Ride the Wild- Wind

Purred: Sun Sep 28, '08 5:19pm PST 
Coat color, and coat length, has absolutely zero bearing on purrsonality. The best cats, we've found, are adult cats, as you can already tell what their purrsonality is, and know their behavior traits and so on. With kittens, you can't tell what their purrsonality will be when they grow up.

In terms of long hair vs short hair, long hair cats need more maintenance, as long hair will mat if not brushed and combed on a regular basis. Both long hair and short hair sheds.

With gender, the purrsonality depends on the individual cat. Male cats have a tendency to be more laid back and affectionate than females, but that is not a rule set in stone - there are many very affectionate female cats too!

Cats also do wonderfully with one another if adopted together, from the same litter, or cats that have lived their lives together. Double adoptions are double the love, and arent even really all that much more work to care for than one!

Many, many wonderful cats sit languishing in shelters, or wind up put to sleep, for lack of homes. The best thing you can do is stop by your local shelter and check out the kitties - and save a life or two in the process!

Edited by author Sun Sep 28, '08 5:20pm PST

[notify]

Cleopatra- 8/4/96-7/18/- 13

Cleopatra~Queen- of de Nile

Purred: Sun Sep 28, '08 6:23pm PST 
I agree with Sable.....

Each cat has its own personality regardless of breed or color. Many cats like to move to high places, it is in their nature to want to look at their surroundings... My suggestion would be to create a cat safe zone so a cat can sit on his/her perch and look around.... by "cat-safe" I mean, dont have any breakables that are not stuck down.... Dont leave any small objects that a cat may think are toys.

Keep in mind... cats will jump and climb! it is in our nature.... a cat can jump up to three times his height..... The characteristics that you are looking for are not breed specific.... nor are they color specific.
[notify]

Bailey

Whole Lotta Love

Purred: Sun Sep 28, '08 10:45pm PST 
A kitty like me would meet almost all your requirements. I am very mellow, a "floor cat", hardly ever jump up high, (but I do love to lay on the coffee table). My hair is medium-long but doesn't mat; about a once-weekly brushing to keep my cotton-ey hair from shedding too much (except when my fur-siblings grab it and pull out a clump when we are playing.laugh out loud I am a ragdoll-mix and I came from a shelter. I love people; both adults and kids. I love dogs and other cats. And, oh yes, I love water too--I get in the shower with Meowmy or Daddy if I get a chance!shock
I agree with the other posters; a young adult cat is the way to go if you want to know exactly what you are getting. Lots of purebreds can be found in shelters too. And if you get a cat from a shelter, ask the people who work with them on a daily basis what the kitty's purrsonality is; they spend time with them every day, and can help guide your decision. Plus, if you get a cat from a shelter, you are quite literally saving a life!applause

Edited by author Sun Sep 28, '08 10:48pm PST

[notify]

Punkin

Don't leave me- out of the fun!

Purred: Mon Sep 29, '08 4:08am PST 
Both I and my "brother" Sterling and my "sister" Ella all came from the shelter. Dad volunteers there, socializing the cats in the cages every Monday morning.

We have very different personalities. I'm laid-back. I rode in the big truck for 3 years, and I loved it. But I have a lot of long hair, and I shed a lot and I have hairballs once a week or so.

Sterling is little, short-haired, silky, and rambunctious. The folks got him to exercise me after they got off the road full-time. He likes to wrestle with me, run around, etc. But he also likes to lay in the sun spot on the rug.

Ella is a Katrina cat, with some sort of allergy problem. But she likes to play, especially with Sterling's tail! Dad brought her home because the shelter was giving up on her, and was going to put her to sleep because no one would adopt her.

All the time, the shelter has a variety of cats. Some are very young kittens. Some are older adults. Some are already declawed (which is a bad idea, but people still do it), neutered, the whole thing. Some like to play, some like to cuddle, some, you never know. Ask the shelter workers if you want to know about the personalities. They often know which ones are not displaying their normal personality due to the stress of being in a cage.

Dad says he could point you to a good cat for an apartment if you came in the shelter, and that's true at most shelters. One warning; at many kill shelters, if you find a cat or kitten you like, adopt it right away, because they are often put to sleep after a very short period of being available for adoption.
[notify]

Purred: Mon Sep 29, '08 4:11am PST 
Thanks guys laugh out loud ! I've never had a cat before so I wasn't sure what to look for. I might look for an adult ragdoll mix from the shelter.
[notify]

Rocky

RIP old buddy

Purred: Mon Sep 29, '08 5:05am PST 
Just make sure you spend plenty of time visiting with prospective kitties until you find just the right one--take them into a spot away from the other cats, if one is availiable, and just hang out for five or ten minutes....you will know when you have found the right kitty!
[notify]

Charmaine- Neville

Hey Dawlin!!!!

Purred: Mon Sep 29, '08 6:38am PST 
We agree.......go to a shelter and be adopted by TWO cats. They will keep each other company and you have saved two lives. Many, many, purebred cats may be found in shelters so you can look for that ragdoll mix there. Spend time with the cat you want to adopt and speak to the shelter staff for more information.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Charmaine Neville, Louis Armstrong, Emma Barrett, Benny Grunch and Pete Fountain
[notify]

Purred: Mon Sep 29, '08 8:13am PST 
Not sure if I want TWO cats lol! I don't know if I could handle all the shedding and litterbox cleanup. And since this is my first cat I think I want to start small.

Can you guys tell me more about the breeds?

I'd also like to know more about "catitude".

And what should I expect where shedding and litter box cleanup is concerned? Will my whole apartment stink? Will there be hair everywhere?

thinking
[notify]

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10