GO!

How big are Somali cats?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Caspian

A meow massages- the heart

Purred: Sat Apr 12, '08 1:52am PST 
We were wondering how big Somali cats get. Our girl has read in some places that they are medium sized, and in other places, that they're large. Well, I'm a Ragamuffin; would a Somali be about my size?
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sun Apr 13, '08 3:45am PST 
For information on cat breeds, Wikipedia or the Cat Fanciers' Association are a good start. From my own personal observation at cat shows, Somalis are medium-sized cats--not small, but not as large as a Maine Coon or a Norwegian Forest Cat. They are quite furry, which probably makes them look bigger than they actually are. I have never seen a RagaMuffin, but the CFA says they are large cats, so I would assume that they are larger than Somalis. Since your profile doesn't seem to mention your weight, I don't know what your weight would be compared to a typical Somali, but I imagine that you would be a bit larger. I also suspect that, as with most cats, a male would be larger than a female.
[notify]

Caspian

A meow massages- the heart

Purred: Sun Apr 13, '08 8:04pm PST 
Yes, the CFA was one of the places we looked; they said "medium to large" laugh out loud Some other places just say "medium".
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Tue Apr 15, '08 8:16am PST 
Well, it all depends on your perspective, I guess. "Medium" sounds pretty ambiguous, but that's the best description for the size of the Somalis I've seen. Hmm...maybe about the size of a slightly large mixed breed male housecat who isn't fat (since the only Somalis I've seen are show cats, and can't afford to be overweight). I'm not sure what that would come to in pounds or kilos--more than ten pounds, at least. In any event, they aren't slender like Asian breeds, or boxy and small like Persians. I'm not sure how much difference there is in size between male and female Somalis, though. I'm just speaking from observing a male Somali who I hang out with at cat shows. In any event, they are neither startlingly large nor startlingly small.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Fri May 30, '08 11:15am PST 
This is another sort of meaningless post, but in the last cat show there was a female adult Somali, and she was markedly smaller than the male Somali I'm friends with. For what it's worth...
[notify]