GO!

Wild Cats as Pets??

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Persephone

A model in a- Cats body

Purred: Sat May 5, '07 2:46am PST 
I'm not talking about those huge cats lol I mean those ADORABLE little ones that are so beautiful and exotic, with the ear tufts and the long legs. Is it possible to train them as pets, is it even right to keep a wild cat as a pet?? Has anyone done this before? I think it'd be so cool to have one as a pet way to go

...Then again, I also want a Red Panda as a pet lol! laugh out loud

Edited by author Sat May 5, '07 2:47am PST

[notify]

Maahes

The Lion King

Purred: Tue May 22, '07 3:19am PST 
Maahes's Mom here. I don't think it would be a great idea to have any sort of wild animal as a pet - they haven't had years and years of taming, and being pets, like domestic cats have. In some states, it's legal to have cougars and tigers as pets, but so many people do not realize the energy and money it takes to have these creatures. I know you're talking about a smaller cat, but...I don't know, something about it rubs me the wrong way, you know?
[notify]

Griffey (4/14/97 - 3/15/10)

All you need is- love

Purred: Tue May 22, '07 7:11am PST 
Absolutely not. Don't even consider it. It would be irresponsible to bring such an animal into your home. Cats were domesticated for a reason...to live in our homes. If you like the exotic look, there are plenty of breeds to satisfy that. Do your homework first. Just because a cat fits the "look" that you want does not mean its personality will fit in with your home and family. Remember that your decision to bring an animal into your home is life-long. You don't select an animal as a novelty.

Edited by author Tue May 22, '07 7:12am PST

[notify]

Trixie (2001- - 2014)

One manic hammy!

Purred: Tue May 22, '07 7:30am PST 
I agree with Griffey. Keeping exotic animals as pets is extremely irresponsible and inhumane.
[notify]

Aquavit

Queen of the- Mansion

Purred: Tue May 22, '07 8:36am PST 
Persephone, I'm sorry, but no, it would not be cool to have a wildcat as a pet. A wildcat would have you for dinner, and hurt your mom or dad. Depending on where you live, your pawrent(s) could also be committing a crime.

If you must have "the look", look at some of the purebreds that have a "wild" appearance, but which are domestic cats well suited to live with humans. An ocicat perhaps, or a Maine Coon, like me--some lines of Maine Coons are quite large and have very "wild" appearance, but we're very people-oriented and affectionate.
[notify]

Linus- (Dreamboat- #72a)

So many toys, so- little time.

Purred: Tue May 22, '07 10:27am PST 
I agree, wild cats are not pets!

If you desire the look of a wild cat, there are several breeds that bred to resemble them such as: Bengals, Savannahs, and Occicats.

FYI: the Occicat is the ONLY breed bred to resemble wild cats that has NO wild cat blood. The CFA (Cat Fancier's Association) will NOT accept any breeds with any wild cat blood - therefor the Occicat is the only breed that resembles wild cats and can be registered with the CFA. Occicats are a hybrid mixture between Abys, Siamese, and American Shorthairs and have an exotic wild spotted coat.
[notify]

uni- (ooo-knee)

bengal beauty

Purred: Tue May 22, '07 7:31pm PST 
i am a bengal which means that i am a hybrid between a domestic cat and an asian leopard cat. boy, WE ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE. we demand much more attention than domestic cats and your humans have to basically baby proof their house. we can open cabinets and doors, we love to drag everything out all over the house (think wild raccoons being left alone in the house all day). and we tend to latch onto one person who we will be very dependant on, so kiss those long vacations away from home goodbye or a job where you won't be around to play with us for long periods of time. for example, if i don't get my one hour of fetch a day i will make sure to scream at my human for hours on end until i get what i want. this also makes it very hard to rehome a bengal or any other hybrid such as a savannah so you better be darn sure you will be able to care for it for it's entire life. also, alot of vets do not like to see us if we are too closely related to the asian leopard cat because we can get nasty. my human thinks that pixie-bobs are one of the coolest wild looking domestic cats. wild look with no wild instincts.
[notify]

Griffey (4/14/97 - 3/15/10)

All you need is- love

Purred: Tue May 22, '07 10:03pm PST 
Thank you, Uni. While I posted strong feelings earlier, yours are more specific and very true for Bengals. We're LOUD, we demand lots of attention and our mom never expects to have fine furniture. Oh, and there's the whole nocturnal thing...! That's a life choice that mom happily makes, knowing that it is for LIFE. The best thing to do is for a potential owner to spend lots of time with the breed they are considering and speak with various, reputable breeders.

Hopefully the original post was just in fun, but this subject is not to be taken lightly. Any visitor that comes into our house and has not experienced a Bengal is amazed. We are not your common cat, and we are not for just anyone. Please do your homework and find the right kitty for your home, family and lifestyle.

Additionally, read my brother Carson's bio. Do your homework with vets, too, and particularly if you are selecting an exotic breed.

Edited by author Tue May 22, '07 10:08pm PST

[notify]

Emma Barrett

It\'s good to be- the Queen

Purred: Wed May 23, '07 5:59am PST 
Good posts from the Bengals. My meowmy said she did not know you all were actually a cross between a domestic and small wild cat. Obviously the people you own did their research and knew what special needs you would have. Therefore, you have wonderful, forever homes.

Even the most basic "allley cat" can live up to 18-20 years in a good home (the kind we wish ALL kitties had), so do your research into what any special attention a certain breed might need and be certain you want to commit to giving your new pet, correction, your new owner, the time and attention it will need to thrive.

Besides, there are LOTS AND LOTS of wonderful cats and kittens out there in shelters, just waiting to adopt a person. You could find a yellow tabby and pretend you have a tiger. Or a black cat for a panther. Our meowy calls my brother Louis her "Panther Puss".

Emma, Louis and Bennykitty
[notify]

Buddha- Mittens

Meow if you want- outside!!

Purred: Wed May 23, '07 6:22pm PST 
I agree about the Bengals...we can be a lot of work. Another cool domestic cat the looks wild is an Egyptian Mau. They kinda resemeble an Ocicat.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2