GO!

New Kitten Question

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Murphy

Here I am. Pet- me, please...

Purred: Wed Mar 28, '07 12:55pm PST 
Hi there, friends, how are you? I have a question. I just got adopted by this nice cat assistant who really loves me and wants to give me a happy home. However, I'm his first cat ever and right now I'm all alone. He's been talking about getting a male kitten so that I'll have someone to hang out with when he's not here.

So wanted your take on this. He was told he should get a kitten sooner rather than later so that there's no argument over hierarchy, and that it should be a male as males and females tend to fight less. A friend of his has some feral cats in her back yard, and one of them just had kittens that are getting ready to be adopted, so he's going to look at one of those.

What do you think? Should we get a kitten, or should I have the place to myself? If we do get a kitten, should we get it soon?

Thanks in advance for any advice y'all give us. smile
[notify]

Binks

Little boy in a- cat suit

Purred: Fri Mar 30, '07 2:11pm PST 
Congratulations to your daddy for adopting such a beautiful, sweet kitty. I agree that a male kitten might be the easiest to add to the household, but every kitty is different. I don't think it's ever too late to add a kitty - Abbie was 17 when I came to live here. Matilda was a year old at the time. But it probably would be better to add one before you get too set in your ways.

One thing to consider is your personality type. Are you dominant? Are you shy? A complimentary personality type would be the best. Two dominant kitties would probably not do so well together, although even that is not impossible.

The most important thing is that when your daddy brings the new kid home, the kitten should be kept separate from you until the vet can look at it and make sure it has no diseases that can be passed to you, and until you can used to the idea of having the kitten in the house. This may take a few weeks, and daddy will have to be patient during the process. I got along with Matilda and Abbie right away, but that doesn't usually happen.

Mommy thinks you should definitely get another kitty - mostly because she's always had two kitties at a time and thinks that the sound of kitties chasing one another through this house is one of the most wonderful sounds ever (until I get too pushy with Matilda and the hissing starts... that's not so relaxing a sound!!!).

Last but not least, is the matter of kitten proofing. If your daddy brings home a small kitten, he may have to do some extra work to make sure there is nothing the kitten can get into.

Good luck!
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Fri Mar 30, '07 3:22pm PST 
I second everything Binks said. I think he covered it all.

It has been our experience that two cats is easier than one. They provide company for each other.

Good Luck!!!
[notify]