GO!

Questions regarding Javanese/Tonkinese, Orientals

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Stella

I'm talking and- I can't shut up!

Purred: Mon Feb 12, '07 8:09pm PST 
We lost our beloved Mew on the 2nd. This past Saturday, we got a call from a manager of our local shelter (we volunteer there) stating that they had a kitten he thought we might be interested in. We met the little boy this afternoon. He looks like a Javanese/Tonkinese mix. He has physical attributes from each breed. I have a few questions. This boy is solid as a rock, all muscle. He has pretty large paws though. Is this common for either of these breeds? Also, can anyone give some insight to living with these breeds? He was such a lovebug IMMEDIATELY, pressing his head against our foreheads, kissing our 8 yo all over her face! Needless to say, she is in love with him! Are there any negatives to either of these breeds?
We have 2 cats in our home as it is and it's our hope that he will be a welcomed addition.
Thank you in advance.
[notify]

VIJAY

Master- Fiend

Purred: Tue Feb 13, '07 6:24am PST 
Oh, I think you have found a treasure!

My "brother" Jacques is a Tonk so I can tell you about them.
I don't know a Javanese personally, but you can go to the CFA website for more information.

I am not sure about the big paws. Tonkinese have small oval paws, but no matter. Tonkinese, Siamese and Burmese are genetically linked. A natural point Tonk will look very much like a Sealpoint Siamese but they have aqua eyes. Both Javanese and Tonks are "deceptively heavy" and your delicate cat will most likely be 11 adult pounds of solid muscle. Oddly enough, Javanese have slightly different personalities according to their coat pattern!
Both Tonks and Javanese are active, intelligent and love companionship. Neither is quite as vocal or loud as a Siamese, but Orientals do love to talk. And, yes, they have big ears.
Tonks require no special grooming; a Javanese may need a bit of brushing as they have longer hair.
"Your" cat should fit in as long as you know he will be energetic, clever, and want to supervise everything you do. They adore the company of other cats, and this is almost a "must" since they are easily bored with humans who can't keep up!
If you have any particular questions or if I have missed the point, feel free to pmail and ask. I am sure you will get input from others!
Good luck!

Edited by author Tue Feb 13, '07 6:33am PST

[notify]

Stella

Purred: Tue Feb 13, '07 9:34am PST 
Thanks for the info! I did read about both breeds, but it's so much nicer speaking with those who live with the breed in question. I understand each cat is an individual, but there are usually some similiar traits that they share.
He seems like he's going to fit right in! Now, all we have to do is come up with the perfect name....dancing
[notify]

VIJAY

Master- Fiend

Purred: Tue Feb 13, '07 10:19am PST 
I noticed that you have two girl kits...it doesnt always work the same, but the cat mother has had boy/girl/boy alternating in age and it seems to be a good thing. Young Jacques adapted and was "adopted" readily by his 6-year-old sister.
You are to be applauded for doing your homework!
[notify]

Stella

Purred: Tue Feb 13, '07 7:49pm PST 
Our little Mew passed away on the 2nd of February. So right now, the house has a 10 year old boy and an almost 10 month old girl.
I'm really sad without my sister.
[notify]

Checkers

Live to Play,- Play to Live

Purred: Wed Feb 14, '07 11:49am PST 
He sounds like a wonderful Boy! Our Mom's friend has a purebred Tonk, and he is not only beautiful, but, oh so intelligent.
Great, too, to give a shelter kitty a chance at a wonderful life.
Mew would so approve hug
[notify]

Nico

Come here, let- me love you

Purred: Wed Feb 14, '07 1:38pm PST 
Here I AM!! I came home today at the tail end of a winter storm! Mommy and Daddy must REALLY want me!
I know there are other kitties in the house because I saw them. I ran to my new sister but I think I scared her because she jumped up when I jumped on her bed!
I am maxing and relaxing in mom and dad's bedroom, but its ok, 'cause I have a litterbox, food and water. And it's quiet up here, too. I was cuddling and loving mom up and then I fell asleep! I tried not to, but I couldnt help it.
Anyway, here I am in my forever home!
[notify]

Cole

Anything- Goes

Purred: Wed Feb 14, '07 6:26pm PST 
A very wise catster named Tango once told us that if you hold a kitten quietly he will tell you his name.

My CT likes this thought. Even if I was already named when I came here!

be-bop
[notify]

Nico

Come here, let- me love you

Purred: Thu Feb 15, '07 5:51am PST 
Well, my family is going crazy trying to find a name for me. Mom 'feels' like it should start with an "L" for some reason. Then our best human friend thought of Luca, which Mommy LOVES. Daddy and my human sister aren't sold on it yet. The names in the pot at Valentino (Tino for short), Marbles, Simon and Jack. Mom calls me Casanova right now because the FIRST thing I did when it was the two of us alone was hold her face in my paws and lick her nose! I'm a big snugglebug!
[notify]

Truman (Feb.- 1993-March- 2012)

Cereal Monogamy

Purred: Thu Feb 15, '07 6:47am PST 
Whetever "breed' you are, you sure are a cutie.
As for Tonks....well, we tend to be love bugs, although Mom, who had known about 8 Tonks well, says that boys tend to be more affectionate. In general. And she has known one super big Tonk, Chino, who was not long and slim like I am. His father was huge too. Tsunami.

Anyway....welcome to your new home. I'm sure you will tell your Mom what your name is soon.

Purrrrrrp
Mouse
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2